FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
HOW do stats affect the way you play TFC?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hired Goon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the current question in the voting booth is too vague. The word 'HOW' should have been added to it, with multiple general answers, such as....
a. They have no affect on me
b. I play for Caps
c. I play for Kill Ratio
d. I play for Skill Rating
e. I play to reach statistical goals (e.g. to reach a plateau of kills with a certain weapon)
f. I play to get as many kills on the board as possible.

and so on, you get the picture.

HOW do they affect me?
Well, I used be really concerned about my Skill and Kill Ratio, but I have recently dropped that, because it just took the fun out of the game. I have always had a keen interest in my weapon stats - all fall I played random to find out what weapons turned out to be my favorites (#1 was the super shotgun). Now I'm playing one class every week, to see what kind of weapons turn out to be the favorites for each class. I played Pyro all last week, and I figured out how to get people to trip over napalm grens (set them on fire, then throw napalm in front of their respawn door - wastes the weaker classes every time!), and I learned I own waaay more people with flames than with the, uh, Pyro Rocket. Next week, Widow Maker and I will both be playing Engy, and we will be comparing each other's numbers closely. So next week, watch out for my EMP!!!
However, I never forget about teamplay, so If you're on my team, and you need armor, just yell and I'll fix you right up!

So.... anyway, I am curious.... how do stats affect you other regulars?
Please do reply! (No ranting please! Remember, this is a 'General Ramblings' Post!)

Goon
Ktulu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked and agreed with everything you said Hired Goon except:

Quote:

then throw napalm in front of their respawn door

That is spamming dude and illegal on theville for good reasons!!!!!
Thom Yorke Obliterator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e. I play to reach statistical goals

My only statistical goal is keeping on the front page of the stats, so I don't have to go digging to see my numbers! The higher on the page, the better . . . less scrolling necessary.

That's a step up from my goal when I first found the stats, which was staying in the top 100. With one server, being in the top 100 required being able to find the fire button on your mouse. Nowadays, with 6000 players a week, being in the top 100 pegs you as a veteran player.

Like Hired Goon, I've begun to try different classes for a bit. It really shows how the stats work. Playing Demo or Pyro or Spy, I can hit the front page with only a 2:1 ratio, which lets you play a pretty loose game. As a HWGuy, a 4:1 ratio wasn't good enough until I threw in a couple of dozen caps.

The ultimate laugher was a round of Engie where I went like 74-8 (better than 9:1) and my skill rating went DOWN. For some reason, the latest stat revision has made the lowest-rated players really divebomb. You never used to see guys with a 300-400 skill rating. You need to put up an absurd ratio against them to see your score go anywhere, and I'm just too suicidal for that.

Greebo
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first joined the ville, I had the connection to compete.
So for a good few months I played for stats like there was no tomorrow - got top 5 several times.
*If* I'm playing for stats - I play far differently from when I'm not.
I make more use of packs, I only go so far forward when defending (depending on cap point obviously).
I'll use classes that give more points per kill than those that don't.
I won't camp like hell - I'll just patrol areas (e.g ramp up the right from cp2 to cp3)
Whereas if I'm not playing for stats, then I'm more....reckless when I kill - I'll go on suicide missions to take out sgs etc.

<TVB>IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My playing style is not affected at all by the fact that stats are around. While I do like to see my name at the top of the list, I don't intentionally go out of my way to get there. As a matter of fact, it has been a long time since I have been in the top 5.

My style sometimes brings me to a point in the game where I have like a 10:1 or better ratio. Not often but often enough that I have to think about whether or not I want to hang back and keep my stats up. Then my brain kicks in about 2.9 seconds later and tells me to get the hell out there and kick some butt, even if I do die!

So, stats do run thru my mind, but not for long. I have more fun trying to take out SGs and MGs and making room for the flag runner so he/she can to get to the next cap point with the flag before the other team can get those weapons back in place.

So if you see me coming at you, and then you kill me, don't gloat long because I am coming out of respawn right back at ya.

<TVB>IdiotSavant

"I like to think I am good at this game, but then I remember it is only a game. Have FUN!"
[njk]Nopeace4u-DBD

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like to play for stats it keeps me from wondering into other game's i got xbox and rtcw and i still cant drop tfc on the ville + i ant play anywere but the ville its an addiction.
Gennaro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should all be about FUN!!!!!
Fun is the key!! You all have to like playing TFC, or you would not. If you are a good team player and you have fun then you do not need to worry about stats because you know who's really the best player, even if you are not number one on some list.
If someone spends half their time hitting the tab button or whatever bound to see how many kills/deaths to decide how they will play for the rest of the level, then you blow lol! Play just to play!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ktulu you said that throwing the napalm at spawn was illegal. Are you sure? Hw's empty their guns into spawn, about 50 gernades make their way in, demos spam like there's no tomorrow, pryos and soldiers fire rockets, and spys gas the place. No one has ever beened kicked or warned for that. I think it is perfectly legal to fire away at spawn. As long as you don't enter and start an epidemic or something.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He didnt say respawn he said in FRONT of respawn door...
Chen Kenichi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get the difference but here is a quote from JohnDoe, "What it really comes down to is that its impossible to police the lower respawn area, and thats why we allow the spamming."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks QuasiModo,

I think this would be a good time for 1 of the admins to clarify this rule, I have noticed allot of new players here and most of them seem like good people, this seems to be a gray area.

To start things off here is the rules link.
http://www.theville.org/rules.php

This link really defines spawn areas.
http://www.theville.org/respawn/

[ This Message was edited by: Ktulu on 2002-01-11 00:45 ]
cstone

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What?? This server has stats!?

cstone

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.theville.org/respawn/

Theres the respawn rule link.

Interesting that the actual respawn location for CP1 attackers isn't even shown. In actuality the attacks spawn at the faaaar end of that area, past the flag, and around the corner. Only when they capture CP2 do they respawn at the gates.

Hired Goon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2002 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW , I wasn't expecting so many replies, and with minimal rants or complaining! Thanks for the input!

-Ktulu, MikeRotch clarfied the Respawn grenade issue in this post http://www.theville.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=1339&forum=6 , after I got into an argument with Kronic.
I don't mind you mentioning it to me though, but what is and what isn't respawn camping is a grey topic indeed.

-Gennaro, You can enjoy a great game of teamplay and murderous gore, AND THEN enjoy checking out the stats when your mouse finger gets sore. I like to think of them as baseball statistics.

-TYO, I totally agree with you on the less used classes such as demos and pyros. Last week as a pyro, I was a suicidal MoFo (Spy checking with flames is not smart when you have 15% health ), taking hits and setting entire defences on fire so my flag capping teammates could get by, and I still managed to crack to top 100!

Ktulu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2002 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goon he was talking about Avanti only I believe.

Quote:

Goon, tossing nades into attackers respawn 1 is legal. Going in there and killing/infecting/building sg's is not.

Where as that is illegal on a map like 2fort or crossover.

Still very gray though!!!!!!!!!! it seems that the only spawn on any map you can toss nades at is Avanti CP1?

[ This Message was edited by: Ktulu on 2002-01-11 00:59 ]
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: