FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Back Muscle Spasms
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine, I'll say something serious.

I know you said no chiropractic, but what about some kind of massage? I know you probably don't have much spare time, though. Oh and lift with your legs. That's all I can think of, everyone else had some good tips.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JtH

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mom has a bad back, as for my im am 100% healthy. well maybe my liver is shot but thats ok.

ok now for my tip. My mom is a nurse and i asked her what she does and what actually helps. Heres what she said,

She said for most back pain the best and easiest things to do is just to keep pressure off of it. Try not to sit for extended periods of time if you can help it,
She also said to make sure you dont have a really stiff mattress. A stiff mattress will not give you back proper support.

She said cold packs and hot packs help, but mask the problem instead of addressing the solution.

So here is the quote/unquote solution she told me to tell you. She said try to get a soft mattress. A good nights sleep works wonders. She also says when you are sitting for long periods of time, try to get up and stretch every half hour or so. Also in the morning, get a hot shower and stretch as well. She also said that if you do have to sit for extended periods of time, try to get a chair with adequate lumbar support. She said the massage chairs help, but not so much as to outweigh the cost. She said a comfortable chair that supports and sort of cradles the spine will benefit you most.

Well there you go, i tried. Try some of those out and let me know if it helps.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they have those icy hot bands that go arounbd ur back. theres also those band things that go around the top of ur waist so you wont hurt ur back anymore if u lift stuff.
Simpleman
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone has good remedies. It all depends on what the issue is. If it is just muscles then you need to do the things that relax the muscles. If it disk or degeneration, stinosis or any other type of injury that causes pressure on the nerves then it more or less finding a happy medium and learning what you can do and what you can't. Doing certain things differs between everyone. I have done something as simple as pick a pencil up off the floor and ended up in the hospital getting 12-20 cortizone injections. You have to be aware of your back at all times to remember how you are lifting. Number one thing is to find out what problems you have then you can treat it from there.

These are the stretches I do.

1. I cover my back with a heat pack for 20-30 min.
2. Lay on the floor and raise my knees to my chest. 10-20 times holding it for 10-20 seconds.
3. I lay on the floor next to a wall and slowly work my legs up the wall untill your butt is touching the wall and your legs are straight up the wall.
4. I Sit up and put my legs straight out and slowly reach towards my feet taking breaks about every 15 seconds.
5. Apply cold pack for 20-30 min.
6. Walk for about a 1/2 mile to a mile.

Thats my daily rutine.

Plus I go to phisical therapy 3 times a week which they do heat & massage for 1 Hr. Then I do a light workout.

I have gone from taking 4 soma's a day and 4 methadone a day to taking 1 methadone every 36 hrs.
Potato-VS-

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, when your back feels better I'd recommend doing some simple exercises to help strengthen your back. They shouldn't be resistance exercises - using weights - but simple isometric exercises that will help strengthen your back while not overly hurting it. The best example for this kind of exercise I could think of – though it doesn’t involve your back – would be a wall sit. If you consult your doctor, etc they should be able to help you.

Also, stretching might help as well since it could also help strengthen and loosen the muscles in your back.

I would also suggest that you consult a doctor of some kind about exercises that could help you.
KillerRoofcutter
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Calls doctor and asks for tips for your back and at the end the nurse says Thank you that will be $300*

PICKACHU GOT OWNED!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mike

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maby this will help

http://my.webmd.com/content/pages/4/3079_1946.htm
DaKon
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alot of good tips. I have been doing some streching and that helps. Also, since I have a desk job, getting up and moving around every 30 minutes to 1 hour or so has helped.

The next step for me once the move is done will be go to the doctor. Arthritis of the spine runs in the family. Just the idea of cortisone shots in the spine make my knees weak.
Simpleman
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaKon wrote:
Alot of good tips. I have been doing some streching and that helps. Also, since I have a desk job, getting up and moving around every 30 minutes to 1 hour or so has helped.

The next step for me once the move is done will be go to the doctor. Arthritis of the spine runs in the family. Just the idea of cortisone shots in the spine make my knees weak.

Cortizone shots are not that bad actually. Like I said I have them done 1-2 times a month. They really help with relaxing the muscles. Having back pain hurts 20 times more than cortizone shots IMHO.
Potato-VS-

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I think I remember my mom saying something about cortizone being in pill form or something like that... I can't really remember, but I do remember that she was on it daily a while back - and I know for a fact that she wasn't taking any injections in her back...
Simpleman
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cortizone are injections I get them all the time . Infact I just got them a week ago.
PondScm007

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smoke a blunt and throw a discus around the back yard ;>

BR, yo
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: