FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
DVD burners
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: DVD burners Reply with quote

i was thinking i could use a dvd burner to backup file and burn movies.

i saw this one on newegg and it looks good altho i already got a cd burner so that part i dont need.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=27-152-039&DEPA=0

any brands that are particularly good for burning and stuff? are those speeds good for burning dvds or will i need something higher? are the connecrtors usually the same for all the disc drives or will i need to find out waht my mobo supports?
EvilGenius
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I love NewEgg, their one day sales are a joke--it'll be within $2 of that price tomorrow, so breathe easy and don't worry about making a decision right now.

I don't know anything about NEC, but another inexpensive brand to consider is Lite-On, about which I've only heard good things. (Personally, I got one bad drive from them but NewEgg replaced it and the replacement has been running like a champ.) As far as connectors, so long as your computer can connect to the internet it's probably new enough to have IDE (also called EIDE and ATA) connectors, but if you have a high-end motherboard made within the last 18 months you might check your manual to see if you have SATA, which can support faster file transfers and uses much better wires. Speed-wise that's a blazing fast burner. You should be looking for one that is 8x or higher, so at 16x you're fine. Whatever you get, make sure it has Dual Layer (DL) support. As DL and 16x media become more available (cheaper) these features will matter, but right now you're probably going to be burning on 8x 4.7GB (Single Layer) media.

John Doe wrote:
Normally I lock spam threads...but this one is still one page....I may check on it later......

You have to be a supporter to get it.
shockwave
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After Jfet got a Plextor, I decided to also. It seems to be working well for both of us.
Simpleman
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Lite-On myself and have had no issue's with it . Like Evil said I would go with the dual layer as it doubles what you can put on a CD So id you have one of those long movies you won't have to change disk in the middle of the movie . Basically it turns a 4.7 GB cd into a 8.5 GB or something like that
Jfet Zener
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dual layers are nice, but the discs are alot more expensive
Simpleman
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I was just looking at that $8.00 a CD I think I will stick to paying $0.20-$0.60 a CD ...lol It's new just like everything else give it a year or so and they will $1.00 a CD or so .
ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once I get information to a cd or dvd I might as well throw it away. I will put it away and never see it again. I like using USB external hard drives. you just stack them up and stick all the stuff on them you like. Frys has 150 to 200 gigs for 60 to 90 $ on a regular basis.
I like the acomdata ones best.
EvilGenius
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try not to confuse CDs and DVDs :-p! Regular DVD-R/+R discs can't burn Dual Layer. Only specific DL-DVD discs can burn a full 8.5GB. Even on a DL drive a regular disc will still hold 4.7GB.

Also, pretty much everyone thinks that Plextors are good drives if you can afford them, they have the nice feature of being able to pack 1GB onto a 700MB CD and they also have 8MB of cache, improving burning reliability.

John Doe wrote:
Normally I lock spam threads...but this one is still one page....I may check on it later......

You have to be a supporter to get it.
Hamese
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchased the HP lightscribe DVD burner. Not that I bought it because of the burning ability, but I think the ability to print the label on the CD without ink is a good idea. I havn't burned anything to it yet, but I am not expecting a problem with it. The cost was a bit more than the NEC at around 90 dollars.

If you want to manage some cool labels for the movies, you might want to look at it.
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hamese wrote:
I just purchased the HP lightscribe DVD burner. Not that I bought it because of the burning ability, but I think the ability to print the label on the CD without ink is a good idea. I havn't burned anything to it yet, but I am not expecting a problem with it. The cost was a bit more than the NEC at around 90 dollars.

If you want to manage some cool labels for the movies, you might want to look at it.

an other associate and i ( i work in electronics at wal-mart) were jsut checking out those discs and it seems like a pretty neat idea and the discs are only around 50-60 cents each. and it sure does beat trying to stick on labels.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replica wrote:
Hamese wrote:

an other associate and i ( i work in electronics at wal-mart) were jsut checking out those discs and it seems like a pretty neat idea and the discs are only around 50-60 cents each. and it sure does beat trying to stick on labels.

all i need is my trusty sharpie waht are the advantages of getting a SATA drive, i have 2 SATA slots and ill probably use them for new harddrives. i havent checked if they're being used yet, ill check later. i think my HD is SATA and my cd burner is probably E-IDE
shockwave
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hamese wrote:
I just purchased the HP lightscribe DVD burner. Not that I bought it because of the burning ability, but I think the ability to print the label on the CD without ink is a good idea.

But arn't those images only in B&W??
Jfet Zener
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shockwave wrote:
Hamese wrote:
I just purchased the HP lightscribe DVD burner. Not that I bought it because of the burning ability, but I think the ability to print the label on the CD without ink is a good idea.

epson has a nice printer for like $100 that prints in color on cds.
Hamese
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shockwave wrote:
Hamese wrote:

Gold and red/balck. It looks like it is grey scaled but with the gold-red colors. It looks very good, and is easy to use. I just burned my first one today and it was pretty graphically intense because I used half of a real picture. It took longer than I thought and burned it in about 15 minutes.

I saw the Epson printers. That is a good idea too, but I think it wouldn't work for me. I dont plan on using it all that much, and I have had ink carts dry up on me many times. I think this would do the same, plus the cost of the ink itself is a down fall. With the HP I can burn decent looking label without any add on cost of ink, and it never dries up and is available when needed. So, it is obviously more cost effective.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NEC drives work great. I have the ND-3500 model, and I've have no problems burning anything, including movie backups on DVD-Rs or RWs. Haven't tried +Rs or the dual layer discs yet.

Target practice for TFC, DoD, and CS players since 1999.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: