FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Kids today
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
s.Squirrel
The Nut Stalker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Kids today Reply with quote

Do kids still go outside and play?
My kids are always on the computer. I have a hard time getting them outside.
My 9-year-old son plays TFC more than I play DOD. (If you can believe that)
When I was his age I was outside all day.
I walked my son home from school one day and I raced him for the last 50 yards.
He tripped and wiped out head first into some gravel.
He picked himself up off the ground with torn jeans and a bloody knee.
All he said was, Thank god I didn’t hurt my clicking finger.

EvilGenius
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh.. funny story. I'm 21 and have no younger siblings so, I don't know. It will be a few years 'til I have to worry about it though. I am conscious of how much I'll need to change my own lifestyle to be a good role-model for my children though, especially when it comes to exercise. There are all sorts of studies on how children take after their parents.

John Doe wrote:
Normally I lock spam threads...but this one is still one page....I may check on it later......

You have to be a supporter to get it.
Shovel me Silly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 20 and I used to spend a good amount of the day outside. If it was light out I'd usually be doing something outside. If the weather was crappy I'd usually be playing video games though. I still enjoy going outside a lot when the weather is nice for a few hours. Maybe you should limit the use of video games/tv to night time so they get off their butts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
shockwave
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am like 43 and don't remember what the outside looks like.
rANCOR hUNTER

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im 15 and dont go outside often lol
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually find this kinda sad, When I was little I was almost always outside, hell my parents used to have to yell at me "it's dark now, time to come in" All though I would also spend time playing Nintendo (no super or anything) but when that came out later on, all man that was great

Longest Running Show in Broadway History 1/9/06
Easy Target

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have play basketball around 2 hours per day from 8 years old to maybe 20 years old (26 now), outside/inside, competive/recreational. Now, I play DOD for the same amount of time. Plus I'm getting back, knee, ankle problem now. I can't dunk anymore and can't run 2 minutes without needing to take a break.

Do someone know a age hack, I will need one soon!

Last edited by Easy Target on Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Potato-VS-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a definate point where kids should go out side, after all physical inactivity is one of the main causes of obesity (which in itself contributes to cancer(s), diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, etc). This is a major problem in the world today - according to the WHO 60% of the world doesn't meed the activity level required to optimal health. 1 billion adults globally are obese - 300 million of those are clinically obese. This means that their raising their changes of getting a preventable cancer - such as colon cancer - by 30% as well as 60% or so for a CVD.

If you want a good way of getting your kid's to go out side, make it fun for them. Go on family bike rides, or maybe have a big game of street hockey or football.

I can safely bet that if you make the activities that you guys do more fun outside of the house then they will want to do it.

Also, if their at the right age, it might be a good idea to perhaps even ask them to invite some of the friends (specifically the girls - assuming that you've got boys ) over to play the sport or game you guys choose as well.

If you want even more inspiration, tell them that girls dig jocks - we all know its true ! Honestly though, by enforcing healthy physical activity while their kids will really help them later on in life when coping with school, girls/boys, jobs, etc.

There's some nice incentive if I've ever seen any!

Last edited by Potato-VS- on Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rebel_Rouser
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought of a fact I heard on the radio the other day. Obesity in Children has tripled since the 70s. Thats pretty alarming if ya think about it

Longest Running Show in Broadway History 1/9/06
Potato-VS-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[HALO]Rebel_Rouser wrote:
I just thought of a fact I heard on the radio the other day. Obesity in Children has tripled since the 70s. Thats pretty alarming if ya think about it

Yea, and their waste lines have increased - on adverage - by 4 cm (1 and a bit inches).
-=Reaper_Man=-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"One out of every three Americans weights as much as the other two combined."

I'm only 18, so I still remember "the good ole days" when I was a youngster. Up until I was about 10, I was outside all day and as late into the evening as I could. I would still of course play Sega or something on occasion, but I wasn't indoors nearly as much as I was once I got my first computer. Nowadays, I don't go outside much at all - and granted, this is because there isn't much to do in suburban Atlanta anyway, but it's still true.

TV parents - kick your little Villens outside more often! Go to a dollar store or a thrift shop and pick up some old Nerf guns for your kid and their friends and let them play War or something. I remember having so much fun with my stepbrother and our friends running around all freakin' day in the woods with Nerf guns. Then we got older and learned Capture The Flag.

Ah, the good ole days...

Of course she did, she's a woman.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RouLeTTe
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live right by an elementary school, and it's amazing to me how many VERY overweight kids there are, and at such a young age. I never had any of the old consoles as a kid, never wanted them. To me, there was always more fun to be had outside then sitting in one place staring at a screen for hours on end. I'm 20 now, and I chose a job that is very physical as well (mostly to counter all that DoD I play now ). Kids today definitely need to learn the value of physical activity, if for no other reason than their long-term health. And it all starts with the parents. Stress to them that physical activity doesn't have to be work, it can be great fun as well. Do it enough, and they'll pick up healthy habits that will last them a long time.

And there you have it, parenting tips from a 20 yr old, un-married guy. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go work out my "clicking finger...."
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's too easy to have fun without moving now, so you can expect people to be less active. Kids should spend more time outside, but now they eat lots of junk and don't move for hours. Parents should try to solve this by limiting TV and video game time and let them do something fun outside.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kahlan Amnell
Queen of Spam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

growing up in florida, I was always outside, and was especially fun with the sunny rain As a treat, I got to play Sega or Nintendo with my mom or bro... once a week for like an hour. only tv we watched was educational. so, I was always outside, in the pool, or in the field running, flying a kite, riding my bike with my whole family, and more. was fun

http://ctprofiles.net/799963
Speaker's Xeno

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all i have to say is outside=good

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: