FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
ANOTHER Video Card q
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rANCOR hUNTER

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: ANOTHER Video Card q Reply with quote

I'm shopping around for a new video card. I currently have a geforce 5500 and am finding that its just not cutting it. My pricerange is $150-$200. What do you guys think?

PS I know some of you guys have connections. Maybe you could get me a good deal.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would wait till the new 512mb cards come out and the price drops on other cards. im guessing thatll b in like 10 months i donno i heard ati would show off thier new one at E3 so im not shure how long it would take after that.
EvilGenius
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I would consider:

Leadtek nVIDIA 6600GT 128MB $222 - found to be best overclocking 6600GT by Anandtech test
eVGA nVIDIA 6600GT 128MB $189
Powercolor ATi X600XT 256MB $157

Advantage of ATi: lower price, more video RAM.
Advantage of nVIDIA: <EDIT>slightlyMUCH</EDIT> better frame rates on most games, easier overclocking.

Advantage of NewEgg: your item will ship quickly and cheaply, you'll know that your warranty support will be there for as long as it's supposed to be, and you won't have to waste time at ResellerRatings and gamble with your purchase budget.

John Doe wrote:
Normally I lock spam threads...but this one is still one page....I may check on it later......

You have to be a supporter to get it.
Clay Pigeon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nvidia cards have 2x the pixel pipelines of the ati card (x600 = 4 pipes, 6600 = 8 pipes).
rANCOR hUNTER

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clay Pigeon wrote:
The nvidia cards have 2x the pixel pipelines of the ati card (x600 = 4 pipes, 6600 = 8 pipes).

nvidia > ati?

I've decided I'm gonna go with nvidia anyways, but I don't remember the 6600s being very popular. Are they good cards? I remember the 5950 being like $1000 and the 6800 came out like right after that. Would I be better off with the 6600? Maybe I'll wait for the 6800s to pricedrop. SO CONFUSED!
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah Just go with the dual 6800 SLI Ultras and all your worries will be over
squidly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without any doubt,, for that price range, one of the best buy (if not THE best) is the 6600GT!!!

It is the best card (price/performance) on the market now!!! And I don't tell you this because I own one... I did a lot of shopping before I bought mine a month ago and I compare the performance on many review and this card rocks!!!! (for the price!!!) Yeah, you could have better card (like Simpleman said, a 6800U in SLI ), but I dont think you wanna pay 1000$ for that!!!

And I have to disagree with Mike who told you to wait for the 512mb card. Yeah, I heard that they will released such a card soon but I don't think that it worth it to have that much memory!!! First, because the price will be ridiculously high and second, because today biggest game (Doom3, far cry, half life2...) are still not limited by a 128mb card (look at most of the benchmark comparing a 128 or 256mb card, the difference is very little). But if you absolutely want a card with more memory, a 256mb should do the job... and more!!! You'll probably have to change your card again before a game will need of 512mb of mem...

You should tell us what kind of computer do you have if you want some advice about which card is the best for you!!! It is not worth it to have a "monster" card if the CPU is "bottlenecking"!!! Which motherboard??? Do you have AGP or pci-e slot???

Have fun!!!
rANCOR hUNTER

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I just wanna know the good cards for the prices. I'll figure all the technical shtuff out later. I was looking at those 6600s. What manufacturer would you suggest? There are so many. I don't know if the cheaper ones will be of lower grade or if theyre all the same card or what. I'm the hardware n00b.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squidly wrote:

And I have to disagree with Mike who told you to wait for the 512mb card. Yeah, I heard that they will released such a card soon but I don't think that it worth it to have that much memory!!!

i never said to buy the 512mb cards, those will be over $800, i said wait until they come out then the price will drop on all of the other cards.
squidly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
squidly wrote:

And I have to disagree with Mike who told you to wait for the 512mb card. Yeah, I heard that they will released such a card soon but I don't think that it worth it to have that much memory!!!

i never said to buy the 512mb cards, those will be over $800, i said wait until they come out then the price will drop on all of the other cards.

Sorry Mike, my fault!!!! Misread your mail!!!
Clay Pigeon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own an eVGA 6800, which is rock solid and a good overclocker.
My friend has an eVGA 4400 (geforce 4 series) and has never had any problems with it.
rANCOR hUNTER

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the difference between PCI-e and AGP/ How can you find out?

EDIT I don't see the 6600GT in 256MB is it worth it. Is the 256 worth it?
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess it is outta your price range but this is simply the best ccard for your money IMO.
Geforce 6800
^^Clicky^^

Longest Running Show in Broadway History 1/9/06
rANCOR hUNTER

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well of course I'd get one if I had the money for one hands down. Thats why I'm trying to be a little more cautious heh
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ? is do you have a PCI-express slot ???????? If you don't have a PCI-express slot then there is no reason to buy a PCI-express card otherwise you will have to buy a new MB and probably many other things to be able to use it .

Listing your system specs would be the best place to start that way we know what type of card to recommend .
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: