FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Stopping

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Potato-VS-

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Stopping Reply with quote

Alright, I'm looking for a nice simplistic step by step way of stopping while on "guys" hockey skates. I'm sad to say but while I know how to skate, I don't know how to STOP . Any help would be cool.
Az_Moose

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just fall down, it worked for me. #Beer
[HALO]MasterChief

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i've never been much of a ice skater. so falling down was what i did.
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i think the first way i learned was to make a T with my skates. while skating straight, take your right foot (or left whichever is more comfortable) and place it behind your left to make a T....

in front

Code:

L
  E
  F
  T
R I G H T

behind you

make sense? keep most of your weight on your left foot and now just drag your right skate and the harder you press the harder you stop. not the most efficient or quickest way to stop, but probably the easiest to learn.

if you have skiied at all, you can stop the same way - just turn quickly to one directon (kinda swing the back of your skates around) and lean opposite your direction of travel. make sure the blades of your skates arent perpendicular to the ice or you will probaly fall over. the effect is instead of digging your blades into the ice (which is what happens when you are skating straight) you will be gliding over the top shaving off a layer of ice. im sure there are some good videos online, but this is the best i can do in text;
Rebel_Rouser
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya it is hard to expalin in text. I use to play some ice hockey, so I love the ice, the best way I found to stop on hockey skates is the slide. Its when you skating at a moderate speed to fast, you extend the leg on the side you want to stop a bit, tilt the blades of your skates to the side and dig in the ice...thus bringing you to a stop...easier said then done....I suggest watch someone do it.....like on the NHL but ya.......damn lockout

Longest Running Show in Broadway History 1/9/06
Potato-VS-

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I'll try looking around on the net for some videos. My mom's friends son plays hockey in a men's league here so I can ask him too... It's just I'd rather learn on my own.
Lhiannan_Shee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jfet's T-stop is probably the best way to learn to stop for a beginner. Get that down, and then try the more advanced stopping technique.

Believe it or not, I actually sometimes miss my hockey and ringette days Maybe I should start hitting the rink again.
RouLeTTe
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lhiannan_Shee wrote:
Jfet's T-stop is probably the best way to learn to stop for a beginner. Get that down, and then try the more advanced stopping technique.

good advice. i knew a guy who tried to slide to a stop his first time on skates. tore a couple o' ligaments in his ankle tryin to do it too (not to mention his loss of pride when he fell on his face ). just mess around with it, i picked it up pretty easy. oh yeah, good luck too!
Lhiannan_Shee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DuFFmAn wrote:
Lhiannan_Shee wrote:

good advice. i knew a guy who tried to slide to a stop his first time on skates. tore a couple o' ligaments in his ankle tryin to do it too (not to mention his loss of pride when he fell on his face ). just mess around with it, i picked it up pretty easy. oh yeah, good luck too!

I used to coach a boys roller hockey team. I got these fancy new wheels for my rollerblades that let you do a slide/side stop just like on ice.... Like, almost the first time I tried them (as a demonstration of the wheels to my team.... i guess maybe i was attempting to show off), at top speed, at a practice for the boys, i fell flat on my ass. hugest bruise ever. Cement is not as forgiving as the ice... Point being, be careful! I got teased forever from my boys, and their dads for that.
Potato-VS-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use to know how to T-Stop. Thats not too complex, though it really does hurt the knee for the leg thats doing the stopping. Theres an out door ice rink near my house. Maybe I'll go there and try it out a couple of times with some friends.
Kahlan Amnell
Queen of Spam

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my way would be ineffective in games... I do a spin stop... like a twirl type thing ... sorry, not much help, and I can't teach in person, so def. can't do in text.

http://ctprofiles.net/799963
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: