FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
XP Download & Firefox
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mad-Hammer
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: XP Download & Firefox Reply with quote

Has anyone else noticed a significant slowdown in Firefox after installation of the Windows XP service pack? Mine is just takin forever to open pages now. Almost like havin a 56K connection again.

When The Only Tool You Have Is A Hammer, Everything Else Looks Like A Nail....
Kahlan Amnell
Queen of Spam

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't installed it yet.....

http://ctprofiles.net/799963
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I haven't tried that update yet. I heard it changed a lot of things and some programs would act weird.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mad-Hammer
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, now thanks to Microsoft, my comp has suffered from random shutdowns and reboots due to my Catalyst drivers, an incompatibility with Norton 2004, and my Firefox crawls.

Serves me right for takin the bait and letting it install. On a bright note, ATI is aware of the prob and have a new set of beta drivers, it you're willin to take the chance.

After a little checking, version 9.3 for Firefox is now out. I'm running a little faster now.
Smegma
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i have not experienced what you guys have but I have always found firefox slow since I installed it awhile back not to mention some pages don`t even open.

RIP- BlueRuler
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably done that way on purpose to force IE on you...

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I llike it myself. Yes it does not load everything. but after installing most of the common plug ins it works fine for most anything.

It is new and getting the bugs worked out. The newest version is a little better than the last.
Smegma
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya thats where i need to get with the program and get the common plugins. like neptune etc etc etc. just to lazy .But I must say the settings are very cool to play with and so is thunderbird. I tried putting my freinds on to this but they just don`t get it. As soon as something did not look or feel right and they had to try and work it out they just went back to ie.

RIP- BlueRuler
Mad-Hammer
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd still recommend Firefox to anyone. Even in its crippled state it still beats IE hands down IMO. I'm just hopin that someone might've had a similar problem and possibly a solution.

Maybe the solution would be to send Roof's big duck over to Bill Gates's house and inflict a little fowl justice. Just a thought.......
ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it should be a team effort though....Robs big Cock would make a great point man!
Ranger<3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is really slow as well...
rANCOR hUNTER

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anti-IE
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Deathbringer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad-Hammer wrote:
Yes, now thanks to Microsoft, my comp has suffered from random shutdowns and reboots due to my Catalyst drivers, an incompatibility with Norton 2004, and my Firefox crawls.

Serves me right for takin the bait and letting it install. On a bright note, ATI is aware of the prob and have a new set of beta drivers, it you're willin to take the chance.

After a little checking, version 9.3 for Firefox is now out. I'm running a little faster now.

Or maybe its the crappy coding of Norton??? Which from my experience would be the case. ATI runs fine on SP2, you might try removing your card in the device manager, allowing it to refind it, then install the ATI drivers again, we had one issue with that. Turns out as we trouble shot it, its an addressing issue with your memory, and how XP interacts with it, which BTW is what a lot of people are experiencing with reboots and freezes. The memory in the machine probably always had an issue, its only now that its being addressed differently that its showing up. As far as Firefox, no issues with it at all, runs the same as always. And we have a fairly large test base here(about 70).

BTW..Microsoft didn't force you do download and install SP2, nor do you have to. So don't blame them for something you installed on your own free will. I dont mean that in a mean way, but if anyone remembers SP1, SP2 has been a dream. And now 1 year later SP1 is the standard and no one has issues with it. One more note, Microsoft provides all the vendors that use their certification with all the documentation they need to make changes to their software if it is going to have any issues. So the fact that they haven't done it is their fault, or they aren't certified by Microsoft and so they have to fly by the seat of their pants and fix things after the fact. I don't mean any of this in a bad way or mean towards any of you, but blaming MS for the fact that someone elses software doesn't run is funny. That would be like blaming Ford for your car not running after you stuck a chevy carb in it.

Bright Red Nipples

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deathbringer wrote:
That would be like blaming Ford for your car not running after you stuck a chevy carb in it.

That might actually get it to run

God Bless You Blue Ruler
Deathbringer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bright Red Nipples wrote:
Deathbringer wrote:
That would be like blaming Ford for your car not running after you stuck a chevy carb in it.

That might actually get it to run

Crap thats my problem....

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: