FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
New PDA??

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bright Red Nipples

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: New PDA?? Reply with quote

I have had some friends telling me that I have to get one of these things. I have seen their's and can see a usefulness but I just find it hard to part with the $$ for what I would be using it for. Recently I have seen a few other peep's PDAs and I am starting to think otherwise.

I just recently purchased a "palmone zire72". I am trying to figure out how to load a bunch of stuff on to this thing, games in particular. I bought games for it but it comes with a CD and I am having a hard time figuring this out.

If anyone out there has one of these and can give me some tips I would greatly appreciate it. Thx in advance.

Here is a link for it too http://www.palmone.com/us/products/zire/

God Bless You Blue Ruler
John Doe
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRN, once you have installed your Palm software on your PC there is a program called the Palm Installation Tool, you run that, point it to the .prc file of the program you wish to install on your Palm and then next hotsync the program will be installed.

Be vary careful when installing games, especially older stuff and things off the $9.99 CDs as many are for older versions of the Palm OS and may not work well on OS version 5 which is on your Zire.

JD

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRN,

I have used a PDA for some time now, and I guess the two things I like the most are AvantGo and Vindigo. Avantgo allows you to get web content downloaded for free to read on your PDA whenever you want. Then when you sync, it updates the content. One channel I get is the New York Times front page stories. Avantgo is great if you need to track some particular news or something. My wife is an attorney and she gets several industry publications this way so she isn't the last one to hear about an issue. I'm a Sci-Fi geek so I get the Sci-Fi channel news wire. Its all free.

The other one Vindigo does cost some money. But it is pretty cheap and it basically gives you listings of restaurants, shopping, movies, etc in whatever city you choose. Then you can put in the cross street where you are and get walking directions with distances to the things you want to see. It isn't so great if you never leave your home town, but it is awesome when you travel. I was in New York walking around with my wife and we decided we wanted coffee. I just put in the cross street and found a Starbucks a block and a half away. Sweet. Vindigo used to have a free version that didn't include the details or directions, but I think its worth it if you travel or need to locate places often. You can check the list of cities they have so far on their website.

As for games, I haven't played too many really good ones, but Bejeweled is highly addictive.

There are also tons of software written for all kinds of tasks you can download and run on a PDA. Check out Tucows. Obviously, heed JD's advice about which programs to install, but I think they are usually labelled pretty well.

Anyway, hope you have fun with it.

FingerDemon
Bright Red Nipples

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it looks like I may have wasted $20 then on a games CD that I got. I don't know why the salesperson wouldn't give me this kind of info before I bought it. Makes them look bad IMHO when I talk to the store manager tomorrow.

I will be looking into what you are recommending FG. That sounds awesome!! I get to work approx. an hour early so I can get a parking spot so I have a lot of time to kill in the morning. I was thinking games would be the way to go but if I can get useful info to read instead then that sounds better to me.

I have been looking on palmone's website and it is amazing all the extra stuff they have for this thing. I am not one to spend lots of money on stuff I don't really need though.

God Bless You Blue Ruler
FiReaNG3L

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quote :
I was in New York walking around with my wife and we decided we wanted coffee. I just put in the cross street and found a Starbucks a block and a half away.

In New-York, wherever you are, there IS a Starbucks a block and a half away. Bad example We had this game where we tried to avoid encountering one for the longest time possible while walking... just plain impossible!
Bright Red Nipples

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got the Avantgo stuff to work and I have to say it is awesome. Fully customizeable so I get the news that I want and do away with the stuff I am not interested in. Great find FD

God Bless You Blue Ruler
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: