FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Beagle Virus Variant

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Nanite
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:36 pm    Post subject: Beagle Virus Variant Reply with quote

Has caused some minor heartburn in my office today. Our virus definitions are dated 07/17/2004 and the machines were still infected. One of my engineers is on the phone with Symantec and McCaffee working on new definitions.

The subject line just says Re: and the body has either a >foto3 and MP3 or a >Screen and Music and has a cpl or scr attachment. Please don't open those attachments they will run a SMTP server off your machine and cause all kinds of havok.
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GAH!!!!

Nanners, your not filtering email attachments yet??????

For shame!!
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Doe wrote:
GAH!!!!

Nanners, your not filtering email attachments yet??????

For shame!!

I work for a law firm JD. When we filtered those out it was catching actually client material and a deal almost fell through because of it. They made us turn it off. The more amusing fact is the CFO is the one that started the infection.
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep getting some Netsky virus in my email.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
John Doe
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nanners, what the heck could be coming in as a .cpl or .scr file???? Both are windows code files, bad bad bad. If there is funky software or something that uses those as extenstions then get people to change the extension to something that the filter would not filter and which would obviously not be a virus.

For example when we started blocking .zip files people complained.....Well, for those that needed to recieve .zip files we told them to have the people sending them to rename them to .zip2 and now life is good, the viruses are blocked, they get their stuff and we dont have as many outbreaks.....so far.
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice idea JD but you just posted it for all the hacks to see! silly goose, now everyone know
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROOFCUTTER wrote:
Nice idea JD but you just posted it for all the hacks to see! silly goose, now everyone know

That's why you get blamed for everything, JD.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
[HALO]cpt._Keyes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another easy virus fix is to get people with half a brain to know well enough not to open emails from sources they arent sure about....but noooo you computer people can fix it if something happens
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well when you use Outlook Express to open your emails you don't have much of a choice.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
John Doe
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[HALO]cpt._Keyes wrote:
another easy virus fix is to get people with half a brain to know well enough not to open emails from sources they arent sure about....but noooo you computer people can fix it if something happens

Sadly I have found over the years that companies dont hire people with even half a brain, those people cost money, they will gladly settle for someone with less than half a brain. If you have half a brain, then for many companies your gifted and they put you in management! If you have less than a quarter of a brain, then your not so gifted and they put you into politics.
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Doe wrote:
If you have half a brain, then for many companies your gifted and they put you in management!

I beg to differ. Only 1 in 5 managers have 1/2 a brain, the rest have none and depend on the 1 to cover for them. I know, I was the one with 1/2 a brain at my old job.
The Nanite
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, obviously none of you guys have worked in a law firm. Asking them to do anything but write a document and check email is way over their heads!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: