FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Hosting Help

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr.E

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: Hosting Help Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I am currently in the process of finishing off another movie, but I am getting to the point where I need some hosting. I've made some other videos in the past, but I've never bothered to go big with them and get some hosting, so I'm pretty green in that department.

The video will be roughly 100mb maybe a little over, and I am expcting around 100 dl's.

I've seen a few cool movies pop up in here from time to time, so maybe those of you who have had to find a host can give me some real solid help.

I've contacted a few hosting companies and have found minimal help. I often run into the old story, "if it go's over the bandwidth limit it's big $$$", so I'm wondering if there is some way of watching it or freezing it or if there is an active barrier that will not allow it.

The next thing I havn't been able to get them to explain to me, is how to put the video on the server, and then post a link, that will initiate the dl. They all think I'm going to start a webpage, and have people come there and surf around, look at what they want to then make their ways to the dl page. But I want to have just the hosting, mainly to avoid having to deal with people using bandwidth on looking at a page of mine I don't really care about.

On a lighter note:
I was talking to the one "sales" lady, and she didn't seem to know her ass from a hole in a ground. She was telling me if I had a 100mb video, and someone were to dl it, it would transfer as 200mb, cause it has to upload then download. So I asked her, if your servers have to upload from me for someone to download from you, why would I pay you money????

She put me on hold and I got a new representative. He helped a bit, but he wasn't much the quickest horse in the race.

So alas, I come crawling back to my friends at the ville. I am fully aware that this place is packed with brilliant people who know more about the internet then the one's giving it to us, and I ask for your help.

I'm not asking you guys to hand out favours and all, I'll gladly pay my way. But I need help on how to and what if. I'm not sure if I'm making any sense to you guys, but picture this...

You're almost done a video, you want the ville world to enjoy the fruits of your labour, you seek proffesional help, you find out you are surrounded by idiots, so you come to people who do this "hosting" everyday, and hope that they can give you some sound advice beyond a link to the next depressing internet help desk.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer.

Mr.E
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well to host a video, you'd just upload it and post the address to it. If you put it in a zip or something that a browser won't try to open it will open the download window and stuff. You'd need lots of space and a lot of bandwidth to host a bunch of videos for people to download.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mr.E

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, well putting it in a zip is no problem at all.

You know TVS accounts? You guys have webspace on there... but probably not the amount of bandwidth for the downloading. Am I right to assume that?

I really just have the one video that I want hosted, I was mentioning my other ones so my readers wouldn't think it's some kind of a hack job. I actually spent and will spend time on this.

Thanks for your reply Stevo

E
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uploading a 100MB file will take 100MB of transfer. Each download takes 100MB of transfer. It all depends on the number of files and amount of downloads you expect. One 100MB file downloaded by 100 people would take 10100MB of transfer total.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mr.E

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, this is why they pay you the big bucks.

So what suggestions do you have? Is there a way I could have TV host it and I arrange a payment for it? Or should I find a host? Any ideas on a good host, that's reliable and not going to stick me for the cash?

E
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a gold supporter plan which comes with 100MB of webspace. Probably not enough for you, though.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: