FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Formatting Help

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> F-A-Q
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-=Morpheus=-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject: Formatting Help Reply with quote

I'm trying to format my hard disk...yeah the cd-rom thing is still up to its tricks.

I have XP and I've created a MS-DOS startup disk.

Do I have to change the boot sequence or just leave the disk in because when I leave the disk in it tells me I/O disk error

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enter your systems Bios and under the option Boot, select your floppy as the first drive and save then reboot (your Hard Drives manufacturer should offer free Disk Utilities to do this for you)????????

Which you should now be at a A: Prompt.

At your A; prompt type FDisk to see what your systems partition is present or not, pick 4, Display Active Partition (If present your next step is to delete) then Reboot..............

Back now at your A: prompt

type format c: /u (/u= Unconditional) wipes out the first 64 sectors!

After it's completion (You need an operational CD-Rom) and make sure you re-enter your systems Bios and switch from Floppy to your working CD-Rom Drive as the bootable source.....

Your best bet friend is to check out http://www.tweaktown.com and look for the

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles.php?dCategory=guides&sortMeth=&sortYear=all

-=Morpheus=-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I boot from the A drive and have the startup disk in it gives me a message

I/O Disk Error and to replace disk and press any key and then it just boots from there normally
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yar sounds now like a MB issue take it to your local computer house and ahve it looked at. If it is not recognizeing a drive and the cd keeps ejecting, unless youi have installed new bios, then it is a mb issue would be my best guess.
Jfet Zener
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just change the boot order in bios to have it boot of the cdrom first. with XP, you can do that as long as you have a relatively new MB. or can you not do that as that is part of the 'tricks' your cdrom is up to? if you need to boot off floppy, make sure to put floppy first in the boot priority and keep the floppy in. make a new boot disk from someone elses XP machine if it keeps giving you errors.
cobra
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jfet Zener wrote:
just change the boot order in bios to have it boot of the cdrom first. with XP, you can do that as long as you have a relatively new MB. or can you not do that as that is part of the 'tricks' your cdrom is up to? if you need to boot off floppy, make sure to put floppy first in the boot priority and keep the floppy in. make a new boot disk from someone elses XP machine if it keeps giving you errors.

yup, you should be able too boot from your xp-cdrom and format from there.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> F-A-Q All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: