FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
I broke my DoD. I shouldn't be allowed to touch settings...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ten

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: I broke my DoD. I shouldn't be allowed to touch settings... Reply with quote

Seriously. I'm very pissed. Normally I get 70-120 ping at TV IV, now I get 140-220. I suck. It's killing me. This is what I changed.

cl_updaterate
cl_cmdrate
rate

Regardless of what settings I punch in, my ping remains craptastic. The only thing that makes it worse is when I lower my rate to 5000 or so, then it's like 300+ ping. 20000 doesn't help anything. updaterate and cmdrate, it doesn't matter if it's 20 or 101, it doesn't help anything.

I don't know what my settings were before, all I know is that they worked well how they were. I only tried changing it because my choke is like 20-40 when I look at the bad guys.

My connection is horrid cable. Or DSL. I don't even know because I'm retarded when it comes to connections. There's a little box that blinks, and it's a hell of a lot slower than the connection I had a few months ago.

I get like 13.4 kb/s on downloads. What kind of settings should I sport, what can I try in order to have less ping than a Chinese phonebook?
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well what are your current setting?

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
clone rizzo

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's a short blurb on rates (which if you dont know, basically means optimizing your internet connection for dod)

WARNING: you may want to write down your current values before you change them so you can go back if something is horridly wrong

=======
Set your rate to 20000 (that's twenty thousand), cl_cmdrate 100, cl_updaterate 100, ex_interp 0 (it will automatically set itself to your updaterate, i.e. at updaterate 100 your interp will be .010). While playing in pre-game, lower your updaterate 10 at a time until the game feels smooth. Your interp will automatically adjust. Most people just leave their updaterate at 100, unless the server or their internet connection is particularly bad.
========

type net_graph 3 to see how your adjustments are altering your game

try that ten yard. it may not work for you well because of your ghetto connection. in which case try lowering your "rate" value to something lower. like start at 9999 and go lower by 1000.

the minimum rates anyone should use are
cl_updaterate 20
cl_cmdrate 30
rate 3500
(this is like for 28k modems and shiz)

a typical broadband connection may look like this:
cl_updaterate 40
cl_cmdrate 100
rate 20000

ok... rates are kinda confusing and if you're playing fine now you're probably better off just leaving them be . hope this helps
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

13.4 kb/s sounds like dsl....

unless you are on a HORRIBLE cable connection....

if it is dsl i would say go for cable, its the best you can get without spending an insane amount of money.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shovelnose wrote:
13.4 kb/s sounds like dsl....

Dood, 13.4 kb/s sounds like an Internet connection that two Amish families produced out of a loom and parts of a chuckwagon.

DSL isn't necessarily slow, I just have a really low bandwidth connection. I was happy with my ping, I really don't need to change it anyhow.

I'm trying out these deals right now Rizzo...
clone rizzo

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if nothing works, delete your config from your dod folder. when you try to play it will write a default one for you i believe

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does yup.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. This is what I don't get.

Every other server in my favorites has stayed the same or improved in ping. However, I get craptastic ping at TV I, TV V, TV IV and TV VII. On Steam, it shows 120... 140... 166... 120 ping. It spikes like that. When I'm in game, my ping is okay (~100) if there are only 12 or so players. But once it's full I get like 160-220 ping.

I really, really, really want to fix this because I've been doing terrible since this has happened. I don't wanna go anywhere else.
BAzly

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rate 8500
cl_updaterate 30
cl_cmdrate 30

Try that

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already messed around and tested those three settings forever. Whatever I do doesn't seem to make a difference until I lower my rate to 5000 or under - where I get like 300 ping.

I might have messed with other commands, are there any that might have a nasty effect that I probably overlooked (or possibly changed and forgot about?)
Smegma
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ten Yard wrote:

Dood, 13.4 kb/s sounds like an Internet connection that two Amish families produced out of a loom and parts of a chuckwagon.

#Rofl

now i have to go check my settings a see if i can squeeze a little extra out

**edit**

this guys info might help u out

3.1 Netcode

As a guideline these values are recommended for each connection type. You should have net_graph enabled ("3"), and monitor loss and choke and adjust your settings to that.

LAN

cl_updaterate "101"
cl_cmdrate "101"
rate "25000"

ADSL / Cable / Wireless

cl_updaterate "61"
cl_cmdrate "71"
rate "9999"

ISDN Bonded

cl_updaterate "51"
cl_cmdrate "61"
rate "(See Table Below)"
128000 BPS: rate "9999"
112000 BPS: rate "9999"

ISDN Single

cl_updaterate "51"
cl_cmdrate "61"
rate "(See Table Below)"
64000 BPS: rate "7000"
56000 BPS: rate "6200"

56K Modem

cl_updaterate "21"
cl_cmdrate "31"
rate "(See Table Below)"
50000 BPS: rate "5500"
48000 BPS: rate "5200"
46000 BPS: rate "5000"
44000 BPS: rate "4800"
42000 BPS: rate "4500"
40000 BPS: rate "4300"
38000 BPS: rate "4100"
36000 BPS: rate "4000"

V34 Modem

cl_updaterate "21"
cl_cmdrate "31"
rate "(See Table Below)"
33600 BPS: rate "3500"
31200 BPS: rate "3300"
28000 BPS: rate "3000"

28.8 Modem

cl_updaterate "21"
cl_cmdrate "25"
rate "(See Table Below)"
28000 BPS: rate "3000"
26400 BPS: rate "2800"

3.2 - Configuration

AS i said earlier have your coniguration in working order way before you have to play a match. I suggest having a look at some other peoples configs Such as Med's, immortals or even mine =D. You can find them on either p-t.com or teamdot.com.au. You can download my configuration at http://www.pirate-treasure.com/~arsenal/asl_config.zip.

For more help you can view the cvar dictionary at
http://www.pirate-treasure.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=103&forum=4&jump=1&PHPSESSID=e05d63b1f2c4cc9f0155935232f4e1a8

RIP- BlueRuler
Ten

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a retarded question: does ping have anything to do with hardware specs? I'm upgrading (CPU, RAM, mobo - minus video card for now) in the next few days and I'm formatting my C:\, would that help my ping out at all?
Mad-Hammer
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you connecting to the internet via network? The network itself can slow down performance as well as the hub.

When The Only Tool You Have Is A Hammer, Everything Else Looks Like A Nail....
shovelnose
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, its kinda dumb, but have you removed any spyware or virus you might have? i know they can screw with your computer 26 ways till next tuesday. wouldnt suprise me if they affect your ping

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's been about a year since I formatted - so yes, if you're talking about the "Free Adult Links - fetish, anal, Asian... etc" links added to my Favorites bar and the 45 whacky processes that my PC tries running every time I boot up... yeah. I've been seriously jacked in the past two weeks by all sorts of crazy things, I was just starting to think that this is probably what's causing it.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: