FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
"OMG teams WTF!"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ten

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject: "OMG teams WTF!" Reply with quote

This is inspired from a post from a different thread as well as events from every single day that I've been playing DoD.

People are always leaving and entering in pubs; even if someone says "OMG teams" it's most likely that someone will enter the server and pick a team right then before someone already playing chooses to change teams.

It's really just part of the game, one side has less players, one side has more - and then suddenly it's vice versa - one side has more and the other has less. And then there's a few AFK's and those who may as well be AFK. It's all about making do with what you've got. It all evens out in the end methinks - even though the teams may be unfair at that exact moment, both sides are constantly emptying and filling over and over again.

The only time I may say "teams" is when one team has 14 on a 26 man server. Someone on that side has to either leave or switch sides in order to make it fair.

What I'm saying is that I think that the Ville's servers are so busy that teams are practically never even. People are always coming and leaving, I simply don't see why people make it a big deal when it's 13 and 11. Just wait 5-30 seconds and it'll all be fixed.
OpTlk

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could agree with you, but frankly I can't. Its rule #4 and has been for some time now...just like it has been the whole time you've been playing here Ten Yard...this isn't a recent change. I personally dont see why its so hard for people to just switch teams...yeah I understand the argument of "favorite classes" or guns, I have them too, but I'd much rather switch and have the teams more even then not do it just so i can have a particular gun[which you can always get off a dead body]

You say ppl come and go...yeah thats true, but I've lost count of the number of times I've checked the scoreboard after a round just to see the the winning team had more players.

Anyone is free to flame me for this, but rules are rules and thats one im glad admins try to enforce on here! its not fun for the team with less players and just inflates the egos and K ratios of the winning team.

http://www.myspace.com/pvallone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ten

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that it is a rule but I'm not sure how often it really is a problem. If the server's only half full, then the players need to make sure the teams are even and will probably have to switch back and forth. But if the server is full, you've got more people who are going to be coming and going. The teams are going to be temporarily out of whack here and there and I'm not sure if it's entirely necessary for players to be jumping back and forth when two new people just joined the server anyway.
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When ever I say even the teams, they don't get even for another 5 minutes usually. What bothers me is when I say even the teams, and then someone switched, and 5 minutes later someone says they are fine.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bright Red Nipples

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The number isn't as important as skill level on the teams. If there are 13 people on the losing team and 10 on the winning team then it defeats the point to switch teams to even them out. Now if the teams are pretty even skillwise is when the player count becomes an issue. Having a complete slaughter is not fun for either team, at least not for me. Whenever I put a message up in games about teams it is justifiable. Like Ten Yard said though, if you wait a minute or 2 the teams will usually even up countwise.

Since this has been brought up though I would like to mention the team stacking issue again. I have been seeing more and more of it lately which is a problem. A few months ago when Nanite put up the thread about team stacking I saw a huge improvement in game. I see a need for this again.

God Bless You Blue Ruler
Paddyjack

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bright Red Nipples wrote:

Since this has been brought up though I would like to mention the team stacking issue again. I have been seeing more and more of it lately which is a problem. A few months ago when Nanite put up the thread about team stacking I saw a huge improvement in game. I see a need for this again.

This is an issue I don't understand. I play every nights on the server, and I don't notice any team stacking.

Rock2..... JUST SAY NO!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
shovelnose
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only time teams bother me is on charlie, cause even one more axis than ally the allies get gwnzored

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i totally agree with ten yard, it's not about the number's, it's about the skill. one ten yard stare is worth 2 nubs switching teams, i never call for even teams unless my team has nobody with more kills than deaths, then i usually beg for some skill from my opponents team.
KopiKat

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only time i can even remotely justify team stackin is on DoD charley, as was said, and also in NS, where marines shoudl always out number aliens, because if they dont, they get screwed.

-KK
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well this morning i had to tell everyone to even up the teams...we were on merderet..the teams were even...until 1 guy decides he wanted to switch teams...about not even a minute after he switches another guy follows him..so it made teams 11 v 13..after about 5 - 7 mins i told them to even the teams.. no one did for about 10 minutes so i had to switch that follower back to his original team...i dont like team switchers..
Bright Red Nipples

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddyjack wrote:
Bright Red Nipples wrote:

This is an issue I don't understand. I play every nights on the server, and I don't notice any team stacking.

I haven't been playing as much DOD as I have in the past but 2 out 3 times I go in I can see teams unbalanced. There are a few people in particular that I have noticed doing it.

God Bless You Blue Ruler
Ten

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How exactly do you define team stacking? When someone switches sides to the winning team? When a clan only joins one side and/or switches to that one side as soon as possible?

And which type of players are responsible for team stacking? Is there a certain statistic - comparative yardstick - to differentiate the stackers from players on a team?

Sitting around in spec and waiting for the teams to fill up in order to see which side has the better players (which often is misleading anyway) is just retarded. It's also ironic because if all of the better players join one team, the less skilled team is going to camp corners, stump an MG on their own spawn ramp and be perma-prone until the skill is evened out. Both sides are going to have a frustrating match, games tend to suck horribly unless the front is in the middle of the map and it actually takes effort and skill to push it back and forth.

Stacking can often be just coincidence. Depending on which weapons have been working for me that day and whatever side I simply feel like playing on. I'll already know which side I want to play five seconds after the mapvote is finished, if I'm joining a side where the good players are picking and are going to pick, then it's simply Chaos Theory.
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just use the auto join button.

If one team has 300 points and the other has 60, the some people should switch around to even up the skill.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ten

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevo wrote:

If one team has 300 points and the other has 60, the some people should switch around to even up the skill.

That's usually the best solution. Most times, someone from the losing team will call out a certain player to join the other team.
shovelnose
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i actually prefer to be on the losing team. if one team is getting stomped i switch from the winning team to the losing cause i like the extra competition.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: