FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Favorite Map/Weapon/Strategy || DoD 101
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EvilGenius
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 12:43 pm    Post subject: Favorite Map/Weapon/Strategy || DoD 101 Reply with quote

I know this will be difficult for many people to answer, especially to limit it to just one, but lets hear it: Which do you feel is your favorite combination of a map and class, and what strategies/routes/tricks do you employ while playing it that helps you improve your K/D or your team's chance of winning?

If you're having trouble narrowing it down, just go for the map where you consistantly play the same class and explain why. (Oh, and anyone who says "Axis Sniper, Charlie" should just go jump in front of a bus now.)

I'm stuck at home with my dial-up until June 6th (back to school), so this is how I will be staying in touch w/ TheVille & the DoD community. Look for more / similar threads / spam from me soon.

John Doe wrote:
Normally I lock spam threads...but this one is still one page....I may check on it later......

You have to be a supporter to get it.
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dod_anzio/BAR/Rushing the hill at the same time your team is getting the middle. That's my pick.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
EvilGenius
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: Grease Gunner, Avalanche Reply with quote

Ok, so going with the grease on Avalanche won't net you a 2:1 k/d, but I contend you'll help your team and have a good time.

Why grease - it's slow rate of fire, and headshot-friendly spray pattern makes sprinting & spraying through the middle fairly plausible. Of course, using the grenade well (and luck) can have more of an influence on kills than the greasegun, but you'll have the most fun proning in the middle behind the dirt-pile on the left and picking off some poor sniper in the W-crack.

Why avalanche - knifing snipers = fun! Seriously, getting in the back can really annoy the Axis and influence their play. Some players (*cough*Ten Yard*cough*) won't press the assault until they get you, and so long as you keep moving around you can usually get them a couple of times first. Also, if you can get two of you back there, making that seemingly rare last-flag capture can be done fairly easily.

That's my $.02.

John Doe wrote:
Normally I lock spam threads...but this one is still one page....I may check on it later......

kubrick

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new favorite weapon is the k43. It has about the same damage as a garand, semi auto and for me, seems more accurate than the garand. Plus it has a 10 round clip instead of 5. and you get 2 grenades with that class.

I guess my favorite maps would have to be avalance and anzio. Sometimes I use the bar, stg44 or mp40 on those maps, but I've been almost exclusivley using the k43 for the last week or so. I like those maps becuae you don't get as many campers and it's fun to run into the opposing teams' apartment and wall spam to get kills.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
fixthegarand

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like using the garand the most. It's not my best gun, but I get the most satisfaction when I do manage to do well. I think I'm best with the bar though I don't find it very satisfying to use.

Favorite map? Anzio no question. Limited corner hugging, snipers and MGs can't control the map by sitting in one spot, all of the classes have a use, people actually move up... it's a shame there's only one anzio and about a billion horrible maps like kalt and switch in the rotation.

Favorite tactic: I like taking the bridge on anzio. I find it very easy to rack up kills shooting at the various spots that people tend to come from. Also I like my big brick thing in donner that overlooks the house where all the snipers hang out. Another good spot for popping people.
vTEC
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fav map = avalanche
side = either allie or axis
axis gun = k98
allie gun = springfield

on avalanche if i get to be on axis side im usually running around with a k98..i rush throw nades rush throw nades..most of the time at the end of map i usually get around 60 kills and around 20 deaths..

if on allies...i snipe running from place to place or from the top building of the apartments..or run around with the bar go to axis house and stab people in the back
Ten

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Spam shoot walls and become a hero. Reply with quote

My advice: spam nade and corner camp. Er no...

My most favorite thing ever is walling people (i.e. shooting a wall and killing the guy behind it). A few days ago on Flash, I nailed about 8 people with a K98 in a 40 minute round. It's really quite predictable where opponents are, a good place to spam shoot (if you see a muzzle flash) is in the Britsh window overlooking the centre flag (the one where Mrs. Shee's always hiding.)

Allies on Avalanche is even easier. Basically every wall in that joint can be penetrated easily with the BAR, get your buttocks through the hotel up to the last room before the Axis flag (MG position) #2. Now wait for people to come and wall the bastids. It's by far the most - absolute most satisfying kill in DoD. Better than nade spamming Blue four times in a row on Switch. :O

Let's recap. Remember this simple equation:

Muzzle Flash +/- Footsteps +/- gun barrel or any visible sign someone is there = wallshot ownage.

Another thing that I do is figure out the best routes on a map that usually leads to the most carnage and surprise. If your team is down and you're not reaching their destination (i.e. the reason for life itself - getting behind their lines and kicking their asses with any device that kills) go through another planned route.

Remember that you may be predictable going the same way every time, but if you're getting away with it constantly just keep doing it. This is basically what I do everyday. Very few teams will communicate enough to let everyone know that you're there. People don't talk and even fewer listen, it's amazing what kind of crap a guy can get away with over and over. But if it's not working, just take a different path.

Use your ears. Always, always be listening. Use headphones, nevermind that rumbling 5.1 surround - you're gonna get owned by a guy with headphones and a brain. Mute llamas and conversation spammers - or even anyone who's not really saying anything useful. You want your sound to be as absolutely receptive as possible.

AND don't play distances stupid. Use distances to your advantage to prevent being the underdog in most confrontations. If you've got a Tommy and he's got a Kar, and you're on the Anzio bridge... seriously. If he's any good you're going to get nailed eight times out of ten. Figure out the effective distances with the weapons at your disposal and always keep that in mind.

EvilGenius wrote:
Some players (*cough*Ten Yard*cough*) won't press the assault until they get you, and so long as you keep moving around you can usually get them a couple of times first.

??? I don't understand what you're saying, but you better me talking about me owning extreme amounts of face - like knifing a whole team of snipers or something. Do you mean that I try to take out the snipers as quick as I can er somethin'? That's basically my philosophy of the game - cripple the other team where possible.
Shovel me Silly

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Ten Yard. Walling someone is pretty damn fun and rewarding. Yesterday on Avalanche I got two people through walls in the allied apts, one being Bazly. I haven't been able to play much during vacation yet though. I will be trying to wall people much more often now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
fixthegarand

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh today I replicated Bazly's wallshot on Flash (the one where he pops the guy in the corner of the building by the house near the first flag.) It was funny and I got called a hacker.
Shovel me Silly

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fixthegarand wrote:
Heh today I replicated Bazly's wallshot on Flash (the one where he pops the guy in the corner of the building by the house near the first flag.) It was funny and I got called a hacker.

I can't wait to do the same.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Paddyjack

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always using the BAR or mp40, according to the team I'm playing. Favorite maps are Avalanche and Anzio, for the same reasons Strongbad mentioned. I like to run forward, waiting, listen, shoot the incoming, move forward, stop, listen, shoot, cap flags, move forward, etc.

However, when I'm axis on Flash, I'm k43, because it comes with two grenades. My greatest fun is to throw a grenade through the top floor window of the two-story house, taking every camper around, including the one mg usually hiding in the stairs. Woot!

Rock2..... JUST SAY NO!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Speaker's Xeno

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

map- avalanche, gun- k98

my favorite stragety is to let vtec and shocky do all teh work for me while i cap flags

Johnny Demo

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm primarily a spray and pray player...with stg or thompson but Flugplatz and Caen I always play with a Kar. Caen is a great time but if the teams are not even skill wise than the british get hauled. (usually from lack of MGs) but an evenly skilled game of Caen... there is nothing like it.

Flugplatz, to me, is one of the best maps around, its big enough to have multiple routes and it doesn't encourage camping. You need to cap flags in order to stay in it. Its to bad the models are all messed up on it as well as all the crazy pieces of plane scattered in the walls and stuff....(am I the only one that sees these?)
EvilGenius
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Spam shoot walls and become a hero. Reply with quote

Ten Yard wrote:

EvilGenius wrote:
Some players (*cough*Ten Yard*cough*) won't press the assault until they get you, and so long as you keep moving around you can usually get them a couple of times first.

??? I don't understand what you're saying, but you better me talking about me owning extreme amounts of face - like knifing a whole team of snipers or something. Do you mean that I try to take out the snipers as quick as I can er somethin'? That's basically my philosophy of the game - cripple the other team where possible.

No, I was just making a joke about how badly you owned me the one time I got into Axis building on Avalanche since I've been back & we were both on the server. (And how often I've seen you own my teammates who have made it back there.) And pointing out how many players in DoD 1. Will do everything in their power to remove that one person who gets "behind their lines" (as much as DoD has lines...) while other players 2. Will ignore people dying behind them so that they can get to their favorite campsite/prone-corner.

In either case, making it to an area that's closer to enemy spawn than most of your team is (i.e. "behind the lines") can buy significantly more time & ground for your team. Something that's true even if you make only 2 or 3 (or 1) kills, but distract 3 or 4 players for 30 seconds, and that it's better than going 5:1 (or 10:1) as a sniper defending the first flag. (Not that anyone would ever do that, as say a Brit on Flash!)

John Doe wrote:

Ten

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Demo, check this out. It'll show you how to fix it ---> http://www.dayofdefeat.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32674&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

I totally agree with you EvilG, that's basically the way I play too. I'm always itching to get behind their lines - regardless of the damage I'll do - it's always worth something. Stalling them, confuzing them, messing them up at a bottleneck is indespensible I say. However, it's really all for nothing if the rest of my team is keeping back - waiting for the enemies to come forward. That's teh suck.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: