FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
LCD Monitors
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kubrick

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 1:34 am    Post subject: LCD Monitors Reply with quote

My monitor just took a dump and now has a big bluury section in the center(bad for aiming).

I'm thinking on getting an LCD monitor to replace this one.
Does anyone use an LCD monitor and if so how is it for gaming, FPS, LAG etc?

What brand do you recommend?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
IrishMan

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my friend has a ViewSonic, they're cheap and look GREAT for their price! not sure how long they last tho just go check it out at Best Buy or Frys or wherever you shop
Ten

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone in the gaming community will tell you to go with a CRT over an LCD, that's practically a given. It's not that LCD's suck, it's just that CRT's have a picture that is as good as it possibly gets - every LCD is a step down in in picture/ambience quality depending on the quality of that particular model. Personally, I'd go with a 23" Trinitron and jack the friggin' bajesus out of my resolution.

Remember: Ten Yard shovels LCD users in Anzio's dark rooms. #Fade in
Jfet Zener
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as 10yd says, lcd's suck for games. mainly because unless you run the game at full resolution for the monitor (which tends to kill fps when you go that high) it looks jacked. also, the contrast in the black regions isnt as good, so the dark corners are harder to see. also the refresh rate isnt as quick on a per-pixel basis as a CRT so you can get ghosting effects with fast moving objects....like a shovel coming toward your head.
Bright Red Nipples

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ten Yard wrote:
Anyone in the gaming community will tell you to go with a CRT over an LCD, that's practically a given. It's not that LCD's suck, it's just that CRT's have a picture that is as good as it possibly gets - every LCD is a step down in in picture/ambience quality depending on the quality of that particular model.

I don't agree with this at all. I have run both CRT and LCD monitors and I have found the complete opposite of what you described. The picture quality of my LCD is phenominal compared to the CRT. I have noticed that the quality is also better in game as far as the detailing is concerned. The only drawback I have seen in game with the LCD is that it is tough to get the gamma up enough to make it easier to see in the dark areas.

If this is a concern for you Strongbad then I would stick with the CRT. The only game I have noticed this problem in is DOD. UT2004, TFC, and all the others work outstanding with the LCD.

BTW I am running a 19" Envision LCD monitor. My old CRT monitor was a 17" Viewsonic which is being used for my wife's computer now.

Also Irishman mentioned that Viewsonic was a cheap brand. That is not really the case. They make some of the best monitors out there for both CRT and LCD. There prices are usually a little cheaper than the Sony's and such but you are not paying for the Sony name either.

God Bless You Blue Ruler
kubrick

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bright Red Nipples wrote:
Ten Yard wrote:
Anyone in the gaming community will tell you to go with a CRT over an LCD, that's practically a given. It's not that LCD's suck, it's just that CRT's have a picture that is as good as it possibly gets - every LCD is a step down in in picture/ambience quality depending on the quality of that particular model.

I don't agree with this at all. I have run both CRT and LCD monitors and I have found the complete opposite of what you described. The picture quality of my LCD is phenominal compared to the CRT. I have noticed that the quality is also better in game as far as the detailing is concerned. The only drawback I have seen in game with the LCD is that it is tough to get the gamma up enough to make it easier to see in the dark areas.

If this is a concern for you Strongbad then I would stick with the CRT. The only game I have noticed this problem in is DOD. UT2004, TFC, and all the others work outstanding with the LCD.

BTW I am running a 19" Envision LCD monitor. My old CRT monitor was a 17" Viewsonic which is being used for my wife's computer now.

Also Irishman mentioned that Viewsonic was a cheap brand. That is not really the case. They make some of the best monitors out there for both CRT and LCD. There prices are usually a little cheaper than the Sony's and such but you are not paying for the Sony name either.

Do you have any ghosting problems? I actually have a 19" viewsonic LCD at work and It has great visual quality. That's why I want to get one for home. I Think I'll pick one up today, either a sony or samsung and if it is horrible for gaming I'll just take it back.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Blown

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been thinking about getting one myself. I'm sick of this huge 20" crt monitor taking up so much damn room, plus CRTs are ugly IMO. LMK how you like yours, I do swing around alot in game so the response rate has to be good. I did hear that the one Dell FP was real good. I believe the model # was FP2001 or something along those lines.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
DaKon
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to www.newegg.com and look at the selection. You want a 16ms or less response time.
Ten

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrm, after some Googling it seems there's lots of differing opinions everwhere about LCD vs. CRT.

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/?showtopic=22968&st=0

http://compreviews.about.com/library/weekly/aa-crtvlcd.htm
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my LCD monitor. It's much brighter than a lot of the CRT monitors I've used and the picture quality is great.

Other LCD monitors suck though. Mine just seems 10 times brighter than most of them.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bright Red Nipples

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strongbad wrote:
Do you have any ghosting problems? I actually have a 19" viewsonic LCD at work and It has great visual quality. That's why I want to get one for home. I Think I'll pick one up today, either a sony or samsung and if it is horrible for gaming I'll just take it back.

DaKon wrote:
You want a 16ms or less response time.

I have no ghosting on mine at all. That was a problem prone to the earlier LCD's. Like DaKon said though, You want a really fast response time. The faster the better or the lower the ms the better.

I got the LCD because I was having a hard time seeing things in game with the 17" CRT. I needed a bigger screen and didn't have the desktop space for a bigger CRT. I now have around 3" more viewable screen and freed up a ton of desktop space at the same time.

Just a tip though. Make sure to keep small children away from the screens. LCD's are not made to be touched. Putting pressure on the screen will mess them up

God Bless You Blue Ruler
Vulcan

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this is a problem with LCD screens or not, but for CRT screens, I need the refresh rate above 75Hz or it can look jumpy(my eyes seeing the difference in speeds). Even with a repsonse time of 16 ms, you only will get about 60Hz refresh rate. Low refresh rates are the main reason I wouldn't recommend LCD screens to people.
Bright Red Nipples

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run mine at 75mhz without any problems . I haven't tried to run it any faster than that though. I'm sure it would.

God Bless You Blue Ruler
Blown

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vulcan wrote:
I don't know if this is a problem with LCD screens or not, but for CRT screens, I need the refresh rate above 75Hz or it can look jumpy(my eyes seeing the difference in speeds). Even with a repsonse time of 16 ms, you only will get about 60Hz refresh rate. Low refresh rates are the main reason I wouldn't recommend LCD screens to people.

Do you have vsync enabled, cause if you dont it will do some very odd things.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Blown

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/samsung_syncmaster_172x_lcd.php

new 12ms lcd monitor.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: