FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Stat whores and Charlie
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mostly Harmless :/

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 11:38 pm    Post subject: Stat whores and Charlie Reply with quote

I've always hated the map, be it if I'm on the winning team, or the losing team, it doesn't matter, I never have any fun playing on Charlie mainly because as an Allie I'm nothing but meat for the Axis snipers or MG's and as an Axis all I do is camp and defend the objectives, which is either an exercise in tedium or frustration.
Tonight was an exercise in frustration because everyone on my team (Axis) was apparently more concerned with inflating their own K: D ratio's than actuallying playing as a team and trying to win the match. Literally I was the only Axis player who wasn't up in one of the bunkers, or on the line trying to pick off the Allied players as they spawned, I was running around trying to hold off the Allies, quite poorly, who had breached our defences and were quickly steam rolling through the map.
It's so much 'fun' to incessantly ask for back-up, ask for help, warn my team mates that there are enemies behind us, watch as they ignore me, as the objectives are captured, and they just head for the line, or one of the bunkers, and try to kill a few more spawning Allies before the match ends. I may be growing tired of playing on maps like Avalanche, Donner, Flash and Anzio adnasueum, but because of this, and experiences like it, I will continue to avoid Charlie like the plague.
Shovel me Silly

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear ya buddy. It is tough to get people on axis to come and help. Usually there are one or two people who will come to the last objective with you and help, but sometimes no one will.

Good advice for the allies to avoid the snipers is to swim in the water right away to either the far left or right. The sprint to individual obstacles and be patient. They give you a lot of time for the allies to win, don't be in a rush to get off the beach. Once you get off the beach take out anyone near you who is sniping, then go for an objective. Once you get an objective just take out as many snipers as you can. If you are able to take out a lot of snipers it allows more of your teammates to get off the beach and you don't have to worry about getting back to the beach to grab another satchel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Violent Pacifist

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite literally, the worst...map...ever...

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
MSE

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, its infinitely better than overlord, the omaha map it replaced. Overlord was simply impossible for allies. Charlie has much better balance. People ignore map objectives and it can suck, but thats true on any map.
Paddyjack

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like Shovel said, my big fun on Charlie is to capture an objective, then go on rambo mode and get all these axis snipers from behind. I usually manage to get 12-15 axis before getting killed lol.

It is so funny to watch the axis whine because they get killed and their precious K goes down lol

And I'm telling you, I'm ruthless on this map. Be afraid when exiting a tunnel.... I'm there.

Yeah, sometimes it is hard to exit the beach.... frustrating.... but still, I think this map is better than Switch.

Rock2..... JUST SAY NO!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Clay Pigeon

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I <3 charlie. I get my very own fg42, and with that I can defend one point pretty much by myself. And whatever point I defend ends up being the last one taken. I can usually shame some of my teammates into giving me backup at the last point.

Charlie > switch
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie can be fun, but only when they teams do what they're supposed to do. It's the same with switch, it takes teamwork.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
EvilGenius
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things to do on charlie:

although getting killed by the MG at the end isn't really necessary. What you're supposed to do is kill him and set it up camping one of the Axis-spawn exits. Boy do they get pissed then. "OMFG quit camping spawn" is the best thing the allies can ever hear from the axis on that map. If I played drunk it would probably make me fall out of my chair.

John Doe wrote:
Normally I lock spam threads...but this one is still one page....I may check on it later......

You have to be a supporter to get it.
Ten

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I despise(d) Charlie with ever fibre of my being. For about ten months I refused to play it, I'd always go join TV I if it was voted in. Since I get such crapful ping on TV I nowadays, I find myself playing Charlie most of the time. I use it to sharpen my crap-ass sniping skillz, otherwise I don't really care what goes on in that map. It really does inflate the holy hell out of my stats; recently it's gotten to the point where I stop checking them every other day because they're horribly inflated and innacurrate.

And when two or three objectives are captured by the Allies, it really shouldn't be too tough to hold that last one. I mean, if there are a few snipers trying to hold them on the beach and slow down the amount of Allies getting through, and if there are like 9 guys surrounding the Big Gun... Axis just shouldn't lose that map.
omgshovelyouinthebutt?

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baby Jesus wrote:
Charlie > switch

no dice
Shovel me Silly

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

omgshovelyouinthebutt? wrote:
Baby Jesus wrote:
Charlie > switch

no dice

amen.

If you are axis you usually can't wait until there is one objective left. A lot of times the last two objectives are taken simultaneously. When I play I always get the coastal defense first, since it can be so tough to get when there are only like 2 or 3 people defending it and they know what they are doing. To defending it you just need one person watching the elevator, one watching the front and one doing the mortar non-stop (that is the only mortar on the map where it gives credit for the mortar kill too). Usually if I am axis and there are two objectives left I go to the one which is easier to defend and spam the chat for backup.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mulder

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie sucks.

Hi MSE, the best engie ever.
fixthegarand

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlie is a joke map. It looks nice but there is nothing fun about it.

The only fun beach map in dod was omaha. spawn camping the beach with a kar bayonette = win
MSE

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ten Yard wrote:
I use it to sharpen my crap-ass sniping skillz, otherwise I don't really care what goes on in that map.

lol, well that would be the root of the problem wouldn't it? The map is fine - I actually like it because it promotes more teamplay. IMO its exactly like dustbowl in TFC. It kinda sucks for o to get the ball rolling, but once you've got the defense on their heels, its very winnable. Dustbowl is a fun map when you play with a team that plays like a team. On the other hand, its hell if everyone on your team is off doing their own thing. Just like dustbowl, I've seen team oriented offenses win the map lickety split againt snipe hoor defenses, and I've seen the reverse where allies never leave the beach and get owned. The map itself is fine, its more of an issue of how a team chooses to play it.

and hello Muldiepoo.
Mostly Harmless :/

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baby Jesus wrote:
I <3 charlie. I get my very own fg42, and with that I can defend one point pretty much by myself. And whatever point I defend ends up being the last one taken. I can usually shame some of my teammates into giving me backup at the last point.

Heh, when I used to play the map with some regularity I'd pick an MG42 and cover the right flank leading up to the #1 88, and most times that ended up being the last objective left on the map...more often than not I wasn't able to hold it because no one would come back and help hold it.

I understand that maintaining sniper and MG fire on the beach is important (supression fire is under-rated), but having your entire team on the line when your defences have been breached is just asking to lose. From prolonged playtime on the map I understand that as soon as I see "the western seawall has been breached" that I should rush to that bunker to prevent the Allies from breaking through. If they do get through, there's a good chance you can lose both the rear cannon-thingy (that's its scientific name...yup...), and the #2 88. Losing those objectives is like losing the church in Zalec. You deserve to lose if the Allies take those two objectives...and in all likelyhood you will, the radio tower and #1 88 can be hard to cover and defend because the Allies have multiple attack points to each of those objectives.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: