FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Just where is there in Avanti

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2001 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just ocurred to me while reading "how to be a better pyro" that having a common name for different areas on The Villes main map, Avanti, would help us all talk about it.
We have the Known areas idenified by cap or respawn but there are others. Death room past cap 2 is about as accurate description as can be had for the little room with a bag in cornor. but what about the area at the top of the ladder just befor 2 and the balcony on the way to 3 and so on and so on.
Maybe after a bunch of posts we can come up with single or a least simple terms that will become the VILLEs own.

John Doe
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2001 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I must say I like death room, it makes sense. The little balcony on the way to 3 needs a quick simple name so you can direct your team to it when it requires their attention. Actually we should come up with names for many of the spots. But we should avoid saying left or right as that will depend on if your attacking or defending.

Of course these terms would only apply to the dedicated players, noobs wouldnt know what the heck were talking about.

Perhaps we should use codes? Better yet, perhaps we dont need anything once we get in game audio chat with the new HL upgrade.

I find its easier to yell fix my SG than it is to type it.
ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2001 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes big changes are coming I'm no not sure if I'm ready for voice. Playing with the regulars will probably be ok but listening to a bunch of..well you know the type.. might be annoying. When I was using Roger Wilco on a public server it wasn't pretty. Anyway next weekand we will all know>
ice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2001 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

me and twink have always called that room the "chaos room" ........
kazebari?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2001 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, how about calling the hallway you can access from point 2 that leads to the "Death Room"...

"SNIPER'S ALLEY"

Just an idea.
Maian

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2001 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, sounds ok.

How about the ramp, and connected room, infront of Death Room (while defending) be called "Spy's Path". Because spies usually use this ramp or jump out of the window, to get to cp3 without drawing much attention.

And the area below cp 1 be known as "Well Valley", its the lowest point of the map, and harbors the well.

The area below cp2 could be " Main
Battleground", afterall, a lot of fighting takes place there, and is the most open area of the map.

The stairs connecting well valley and main battleground is ofcourse the "Stairs".

The area around cp3 could be "SG Graveyard" CP3 is usaully the best defended point, and my sgs have gone down there.

The long ramp running from spies path along the church could be the "Ramp".

The other side of the church where most traffic runs through could be "The Alley".

The area around the church on both sides could be the "Lawn", because of the grass.

And the area infront of the church, runnng from defenders respawn to the ramp could be the "Road" afterall, it is the longest straightest area on the map, and takes a lot of traffic.

Oh well, thats just my thoughts, im sure many of you may have better ideas for the names.

Sick Cycle Carousel
Lifehouse
No Name Face
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cadman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2001 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maian:

Those sound like great names to me. Short & simple. Just like me. Anyway, that's my 2 cents.
Bakuryu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2001 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the balcony should be called the grotto. I dunno, I saw a movie with a grotto in it and I've made grotto a favorite word of mine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
YourPowersAreWeakOldMan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2001 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Death Room haha, I usually think of it as "That damn room all my teammates stand in and get me stuck while I get shot!" or "that one room I throw my Mirv into and kill alot of people I can't see" That's the way me and my Bro Rata-tat-tat communicate it to eachother, we know very well exactly what the other is talking about.
As for other names, I neve thought of ay since I rarely have time to yell something out while in the middle of battle...unless it's to my brother on the speakerphone I talk to him while he plays in his college dorm. So this talking you all speak of will be nothing new to me....But it'd probably suck beyond all imagination with all 20 people going wild on the intercom. Probably end up sounding like the monkey section of the Zoo or something...monkeys who know how to say streams of 4 letter words and scream alot.

Maian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2001 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Cadman. Bakuryu, Ive always just called the balcony, the "Balcony". However, grotto sounds fine to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LanceMantis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2001 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What we need is an overview of Avanti, then we can highlight areas and give them names. This image could be used in the FAQ when needed.

John Doe
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2001 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting suggestion Lance. I may look into that.
Bakuryu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2001 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The grotto...I almost forgot thats where all of the "action" rakes place in movies. Always on a balcony, usually not in a logical place.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
KillerRoofcutter
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2001 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol nice page LanceMantis-TPF- i love that song on the page he he it is so funny i am listing to it right now over and over again

PICKACHU GOT OWNED!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: