FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Caps or Kills
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What will benifit you more: caps or kills
caps
68%
 68%  [ 17 ]
kills
32%
 32%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 25

Osama Bin Fluffy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:47 am    Post subject: Caps or Kills Reply with quote

On public servers where you're not playing for anything, just for fun, what do you consider more important caps or kills? Some guy said getting caps was unimportant and he said this on Anzio, he had 2 caps and was on axis and I had 35 caps on my own which was about as many as their entire team, lol, I think he was just jealous quite frankly i can see a case for both sides, but on anzio, come on, that map is all about the caps
Speaker's Xeno

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaladerieL wrote:
well for me in the past when i did team fortress classic i did both caps and kills but was the best @ either. as for now to me it's like structures built or upgrades for natural selection and combat or classic maps . but you have brought up a good question there! to what evrybody has to say about this!

lol this is for dod

you need a third option...whatever

i dont care what i do as long as it helps teh team if they need caps i take command and coordinate flag capping if they need kills then i go on kamikazee destructions sprees

as for tfc i go for kills i mean im a sniper all the way unless i cant go then its soldier, hw, or pyro power

and in ns for combat its kills until i can get to the hive then bb and so long and for classic i build then i destroy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ten

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to clear out areas of enemies before I try anything daring. IMO, if I run to cap a flag - cap it - and get mowed down a second after touching it... what's that worth? The other team will just cap it right away.

By no means am I a kamakazi player (unless it's flag 5 on Flash) and I hate dying for nothing. More or less, I concentrate on pushing forward or finding a pocket in enemy territory where I can work from and clear 'em out. But if a guy is standing there waiting for someone to help cap - I'm usually quite obligated to assist. But I'd rather fight my way through the hotel at Avalanche instead of meandering around the middle capping the flag. I'm simply more comfortable in confined areas.

But sometimes I'll play for 20 minutes and realize I don't even have a cap. I like to shoot things too much.
omgshovelyouinthebutt?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ten Yard wrote:
I like to clear out areas of enemies before I try anything daring. IMO, if I run to cap a flag - cap it - and get mowed down a second after touching it... what's that worth? The other team will just cap it right away.

what he said
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually go for caps and ignore the kill score. If there is a sniper/mg battle like across the street on Flash, I will rush and cap it even if I do get mowed down. If I'm lucky and find all the enemies, I'll get their field right after, then it's all up to the team to hold them.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shovel me Silly

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on the map for what I do. Some maps are just good for capping. Anzio is the best though. Many times the allies will get beat by the axis in kill to death ratio by a significant amount and still cap the flags with ease. Avalanche I go for melee kills. If I'm axis I can go nuts with the spade in the allied apartments. If I'm allies I just work my way to the Axis house and take out snipers and harass anyone who dares to go inside. On Switch my goal is to make it to the opposite side of the hill and get back into the enemy houses. I die most of the time, but I will almost always get one or two nade kills a death, so I still do good. When I get back in their houses I get an easy 10 kills before they flush me out. Usually its kills, because most maps you need to kill a lot before you can cap and keep it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Bright Red Nipples

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all about the caps. Your team loses if they don't cap. I am usually trying to top the cap list

God Bless You Blue Ruler
ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caps, but this does not mean the sniper or machine gunner that is laying down fire and taking care of the other snipers isnt doing there job, but I would say that they are real heros when they are with the leading edge providing the support needed to control the town. If they dont keep up then its camping and your only out for yourself then.

But it is a game and sometimes you just dont feel like leading the way or there is no coordinated attack so laying back and getting the kills is not the end of the world...
Paddyjack

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends of the map.

On Anzio, it is all about capping. Don't think you are useful sniping because you are not, unless maybe one in the tower. I finished Anzio last night with 43 caps, and a dead even K/D ratio..... but I felt like I was really helping my team, especially since thos vVv guys on the other side were all about capping themselves. THere is nothing that piss me more than a sniper standing 20 feet from you on Anzio, and not helping you cappinfg the bridge or the plaza. IT TAKES 5 SECONDS FOR PADDY'S SAKE Go back to your sniper post, if you want, AFTER YOU HELPED CAP.

On the other hand, a map like Donner can use some snipers and mgs. I guess you can make a case for every maps. It is important to have a balance between cappers and stay-at-home guys.

BTW, I disagree with you Ten Yards, because you don't die for nothing. When you cap a flag, like the middle one on Flash, even though it could be recap right after, you give your teammates a motivation to push forward, since they see that somebody reached the flag. When we play DoD, we use every bits of information we can, and usually it comes from our screen and ears.

And guys, don't worry about that K/D. I'm always one of the top cappers on my team and I usually keep a 1.5 K/D. So start playing like real men, cap flags, and help your teammates. I guess you are aware that you respawn after getting killed....right?

Rock2..... JUST SAY NO!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddyjack wrote:
On Anzio, it is all about capping. Don't think you are useful sniping because you are not, unless maybe one in the tower. I finished Anzio last night with 43 caps, and a dead even K/D ratio..... but I felt like I was really helping my team, especially since thos vVv guys on the other side were all about capping themselves. THere is nothing that piss me more than a sniper standing 20 feet from you on Anzio, and not helping you cappinfg the bridge or the plaza. IT TAKES 5 SECONDS FOR PADDY'S SAKE Go back to your sniper post, if you want, AFTER YOU HELPED CAP.

Yeah that's one of the things that angers me in games. I'm telling them over and over to get the bridge, but they can't seem to hear me. They stand there and snipe until either someone from way on the other side comes and caps it, or a grenade kills us both.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ten

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... I understand that it's "all about the cap" but it's also all about controling zones. In Flash, if the Axis controls the middle zone at the middle flag and a Brit charges in and caps the flag - he gets mowed down. Since Axis controls that zone, someone just walks over and touches it. That is a complete waste. It's cap-recap tactic and I don't think that'll ever solely win a round unless you can time it ridiculously perfectly.

I look at it this way - an Allied sniper in Donner in the tower can take out every Axis in that middle zone and allow the Allies to cap the tank. The sniper was mostly responsible for the cap even though he didn't get the points. I'm much more preoccupied with controling zones - which subsequently entails controling flags. I'm keeping the other team from taking our flags. If I can go 3.10 K : D in Anzio and kill 30% more guys then the next guy on my team I know I've done a lot even though I may only have ten cap points. I've still been on the ass of the other team throughout the whole map and cleared areas as often as I possibly could and slowed their progression through map as often as I possibly can. This allows my team mobility - I insist a mobile team is quite a bit more productive than a mobile kamakazi player.

Besides, the team that has the higher K : D is virtually always the team that wins consistently. Caps and kills go hand in hand - that's why they're both tabulated. 3.1b and older didn't use caps to rank players from top to bottom either.
Paddyjack

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, however, this wont work if your team is not capping flags. The thing is teb yards, I know you for a mobile player, and as such, it is also your responsibility to cap flags if the rest of your team does not

Rock2..... JUST SAY NO!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ten

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmkay, I'll take your advice Paddy. I also think that DoD 1.2 should have a key where you can attach someone to you and drag them around wherever you go. I'd get those damn pronestars to get in the game real quick.
Shovel me Silly

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When on Allies on Flash a lot of times the team just won't move up. The best way to motivate them to move up is to take the middle flag and run to the back field of the axis for their 2nd flag. Half the time an Axis guy won't recap it right away. And if someone sitting in the back allied house see's the middle is taken he might think that we control that zone and move up. I've seen it happen before. Not often, but you gotta try.

I agree on Anzio that getting a lot of kills and being mobile is just as productive as getting all the caps, if you have people like me or others that go get the caps. You have protected me many times going for the flags and have helped me when no one else will. You just have to analyze the situation best on how to win the map.
Jfet Zener
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i go for caps. i like capping a flag, dying, and it getting quickly taken back. i know ive just given others a little more hope to get the flag knowing that it IS possible with a little work.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: