FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
MP3 Players

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Potato-VS-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: MP3 Players Reply with quote

Whats a good kind of MP3 player to buy? Im looking for one thats mid-range and can run fairly well with good sound quality. I dont know what to do for though, could someone possibly suggest a good brand or model?
John Doe
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tater, it all depends on what you want for features.

Do you want something thats small? Do you want something that holds lots of songs? Do you want something thats expandable? Do you want something that allows you to play your CDs full of MP3s?

I have a Samsung Yepp, a yp-55. It has 256mb of memory, its a MP3 player, a voice recorder, a FM tuner and a USP Flash Drive all in one. Oh, did I mention its about the size of a roll of quarters? I do wish it had more memory though, cause I can only fit about 2 or 3 CDs worth of songs on there (30-40 songs).

I am considering a unit with a hard drive in it now since the technology has been getting better. I had been avoiding them due to battery life concerns as well as concerns about how rugged the unit would be. If I was to get a model with a built in hard drive, I would try to get an extended warranty if it was reasonable....just cause I expect the drives will fail sooner or later.

The least expensive option these days is a portable CD player that plays the MP3s that you burn on it. These are great cause you can get hundreds of songs on one CD, up to 700 mb of music. The downside is that it can skip if your say running with it or working out.

As for brands, I would suggest sticking with a name brand with a warranty in case you have issues. The market is flooded with cheap clone products and some are poor quality and some are not, its tough to tell which is which though. An example is at tigerdirect.ca they have a small unit with a 10gb hard drive in it for under $150 if I recall, a really good price but I dont know how reliable the unit is. Perhaps some searches will find you peoples reviews and opinions.

JD
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have an ipod and i LOVE it. its a little expensive and costs more than other players, but the amount i can put on it is wonderful. thast what i hated about other players is that i only had like 2-4 cds worth before i had to refill it. i dont mind it, as its just a little bigger than my cell phone.

my g/f got the ipod mini which is kinda a ripoff as its so expensive adn only 4 gigs, but its pretty tiny and still hold a boatload.
Replica
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 of the cooler things i've seen recently are the son y CD players that can paly regular, mp3 and Atrac3 CD's. whats Atrac3 you ask? well its a compression ( which i think sounds fine on my mini disc palyer ) that allows so many songs to be put onto those mini discs. and why not put them onto regular Cd's you ask? well sure heck why not. so with the burning program that comes with it you can burn up to like 400-500 songs on 1 CD. instead of 100-200 on an mp3 disc.

but looking back on it i think a hard drive one is the ebst bet.

and ps tater. what do you consider to be "mid range"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually looking at a Panasonic 20GB MP3 player earlier on today at bestbuy... It was $299, I think, and it seemed to be a good deal. 20 GBs of songs is practically half my computer . I was also looking at the iPod too, though I wasnt sure about it. I heard it was good from my friend too... I dunno. Ill wait for some more posts before I decide anything.
ANGELOFDEATH-VS-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:21 pm    Post subject: i suggest Reply with quote

I suggest rio.I just got mine and its working great.Not 2 expensive either.And holds a decent amount of songs.
Mike

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got the ipod mini on order. i think its good fer me cuz i dont have a gaint collection of music, but its more than any of those cheaper ones can hold.

i like it cuz its slightly bigger than my cell and its got anuff room fer me
OpTlk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a Rio Nitrus and so far its pretty cool! its got 1.5GB storage which is about 350-400 mp3s and the sound quality is good! only major annoyance so far are the damn earbuds that come with it instead of headphones. i got it for $149

for another $100, theres the 20GB Rio Karma as well.

http://www.myspace.com/pvallone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
FingerDemon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is sort of off topic, but I got a Palm Pilot (Clie from Sony) a while back and it had an MP3 player decoder in it and you can use a Memory Stick. The sticks come in 128MG and now the newer ones come in 256MG. I was pretty surprised to learn that non-hard drive MP3 players often don't even have that much memory and cost just about as much. Although, be aware not all Clies come with the MP3 decoder. So, something to think about if you are looking at non-hard drive MP3 players. I can play Bejeweled on my MP3 player while listening to tunes. Or read the latest download of the Onion.

Of course, the iPod looks awesome if you want to have your whole music library with you.

FingerDemon
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: