FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How mad would you be to get this assignment?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ten

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: How mad would you be to get this assignment? Reply with quote

If you're in high school, lemme know.

This is for a grade 12 social class that I'm teaching and for some reason I think they're going to be pissed at me (for life) tomorrow when I give this to them.

No, it's not fun. But it's core material that they'll need to know for the unit exam and final exam. Besides,plan if they on going to university they better get used to presentations. :\

So, is this a typical assignment you'd get or something way worse? I've been out of high school for 5 years. I've been calloused by receiving horrid assignments in university but never thinking twice about how much they suck. They're mandatory if you wanna pass so you don't really care about the craptasticness of them.

Quote:
Group Activity – Acculturation Models (Accommodation, segregation, assimilation, annihilation)

Each group is to:

1) Research a case that has occurred in Canadian history that is a good example of the acculturation model assigned. Write a description of the event and the groups involved.

2) To which extent was the acculturation model evident in the case? Is it arguable that there was partially another model present as well?

Guidelines – points to focus on:

- What were the consequences of the application of the model?
- Its effect on the people involved?
- Its effect on the cultures involved?
- The social consequences that had to be dealt with? Were they ever resolved or reconciled?
- The current policies that had to be applied to deal with those consequences?

Groups will present their reports in class on a designated class period (7-10 minutes). Use of visual aides such as a poster/chart (to display the chronology of the event), overheads etc. are encouraged but not necessary.

 Gather your resources first. 

Am I dead? They love me thus far.
Potato-VS-

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a fairly easy assignment to me and Im in grade 11...
OpTlk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be dead beacuse I dont know Canadian History. hEh They'll moan & groan because its an oral presentation, but TOUGH! they're gonna have to do it in college anyways. The assignment itself seems quite reasonable.

If they turn and you wanna win them back, bring a laptop and load up some DoD!

http://www.myspace.com/pvallone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shovel me Silly

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like it would be pretty easy once I learned what acculturation models are. But I'd do the presentation on why Todd Bertuzzi should be someone's girlfriend in prison right now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Speaker's Xeno

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ill take devils advocate

first one question when is ur spring break cause if its this week then ur a dead man

second its a group activity some of teh ppl in that class wont be able to get together wit their group for personal reasons which will mess teh assignment up and make ur and their lives harder

Quote:
2) To which extent was the acculturation model evident in the case? Is it arguable that there was partially another model present as well?

when i was reading that i was thinking of the civil war and the "shot heard around teh world" i dont know why that popped into my mind but i just thought i would share

but out of what i got ur a deadman

i always hated oral presentations and i still do...other than that its easy breezy beautiful cover girl...bah stupid commercial

anyways thats my devil advocate

as for my real oppinion its easy and they will complain but do it anyway cause in their hearts they know you wouldnt assign it unless it was needed

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Violent Pacifist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds fairly simple to me. I've been assigned worse things in the past, and I'm only in 9th grade. I can't stand assigned group projects though -- normally because my groups are so unproductive that I could work by myself and provide twice the results that they do. It doesn't really sound like a project you'd do by yourself though, so I guess I'd be okay with it so long as I actually knew the people I was working with. Working on it with your members outside of class seems mandatory, and as Speaker said, some people won't be able to get together because of "personal" reasons (which could extend as far as they're too lazy to get some other person's address).

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
Kazebari
Official Mall Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canada has a history? just kiddin ;D

Assignment doesn't look like any difficulty as long as time is spent on research. There are enough topics to cover so that seven minutes of discussion is easy to reach.

When is it due?
Ten

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're getting two class periods in the library and one class period to work on it assuming they've gathered all of their resources.

Regardless I've been convinced to wait until Monday to show them this.

Thankee.
KAMIKAZE MadMax
Resident Kamikaze Bomber

Location: East Lansing, MI formerly Lubbock, Tx Guild: TVR -V$=

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well in high school I slept in history and social studies classes....never opened a book and never looked at articles we had to read.....and always had a 100% in that class. I never got below a 99 on anything. The assignment is something I am used to know being in college (Michigan State) but back then, that looks tough but knowing me it would have been another cake walk for me. tee hee hee. Anywho I think they will hate it at 1st then later (maybe a lot later) they will realize the real value of it, and probably appreciate the fact that you gave it to them. #Beer

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ten

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I find it horribly ironic that I'm teaching the same class in the same room where I slept everyday in when I was in grade 12. I think I got a 65% in it actually. :\ My class is about a zillion times more interesting though, the kids are really tuned in. I kill myself laughing at them at least once a day, they're all very good kids.
shockwave
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be extremely mad if I got that assignment for a couple of reasons.

1) the extent that I know about canadian history is where it overlapped american history from 1750's to 1812.

2) I am not in school anymore, so I would be "Why is this strange guy giving me an assignment"

3) even if I was in school, I much prefered calculus, differential equations, chaos theory to any sort of language or social sciences.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shockwave wrote:
3) even if I was in school, I much prefered calculus, differential equations, chaos theory to any sort of language or social sciences.

I also would rather take classes on these. History is just too boring when taught in school. Its just a think i like to read about at leisure.

I thank Jebus every day that I took AP US History and AP economics so now I don't have to take any history classes and only one business class in college. There is a bit of advice to highschool students out there, take as many AP classes as you can. It will save you time and cash.
Dominator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

History Suxurs, i would be pist at ya LoL.
then again that why i dont take much history classes.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaker for the Dead wrote:

when i was reading that i was thinking of the civil war and the "shot heard around teh world" i dont know why that popped into my mind but i just thought i would share

unless im mistaken, that was the revolutionary war (lexington I think)

*Props to Mad-Hammer on the Sig*

R.I.P. Blue: Gone But Never Forgotten
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turbo! wrote:
Speaker for the Dead wrote:

unless im mistaken, that was the revolutionary war (lexington I think)

Yeah, that's right. It was like the first shot or something.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: