FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
XP The Upgrade
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpeCies

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:57 pm    Post subject: XP The Upgrade Reply with quote

I am going to be upgrading from Win98 Se to XP using the $99.00 upgrade version. I have a few questions,

How does it work. I would like to do a fresh format but the problem is this, I made a copy of my windows disk <It's 100% legal and does not violate the EULA. So, please don't delete this> for emergency purposes like this.

My original Windows 98se disk is screwed and won't "Read" The backup disk isn't Bootable. How would using the XP Upgrade version accomplish doing it's job upgrading Win 98se without having it already installed or like in my case where I am unable to produce a Bootable Win98Se CD even though it's legit ?

I was under the impression that all I would need too do to install the XP upgrade was to run it using my excising installed OS and then go from there.

But will using the method above re-format my drive "Unconditionally" resulting in a clean install of XP sp1 <which I would prefer> over XP just formatting the first 64 sectors still leaving my HD clustered with all of my old data still on it ?

Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

Last edited by SpeCies on Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kjeldorian Royal Guard 42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was under the impression that all I would need too do to install the XP upgrade was to run it using my excising installed OS and then go from there.

I do believe I had to provide my WIN '98 disc when I installed the upgrade. I can't be positive but it sounds Microsoftish.
=US-V= Member/Event Coordinator - Retired
<eVa> Founding Father/Leadership/Webmaster - Retired
Ville Admin - Retired
Mad-Hammer
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I upgraded from windows 98 to XP and didn't require the win 98 disk. If XP detects a previous version, upgrade should go off without a hitch.
If you what to reformat your disk and do a clean install, you're gonna need that win 98 disk for the upgrade to work.
You'll have to reinstall the win 98 and follow with installing your XP.
SpeCies

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not going to half-ass it! I want to get win98 totally out of my hair. I can't see me shelling out more $$$ for another win98 cd that will be used for verification just so that the XP Upgrade can verify if I am a legit client or not. Thank you guys for the help anyway.
cobra
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i may be wrong but here i go anyway.

if you reformat your HDU and instal the upgrade version of XP it will ask you to put a previous version of windows in the cd rom, it will not install the win 98. all it needs the cd for is to verify if you indeed do have an older version of windows.

don't forget my first sentence.
SpeCies

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. it's worth a try...

cobra wrote:
i may be wrong but here i go anyway.

don't forget my first sentence.

Mad-Hammer
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're willing, you can buy an OEM Full Version from Dealsonic Or Directron for about $88.00. And No, you don't need a previous version of Ontheblinkows for that to work.
Mr Hat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would VERY STRONGLY recommend you do a fresh install of XP.

Personally, I have never done a 98 to XP upgrade. I have repaired a 98 to 2000 install that someone else did…and it was a nightmare.

98 uses FAT32…XP will work with FAT32 but it’s much happier with NTFS. NTFS will need a clean format and a fresh partition.

If I was in your situation…I would burn everything I have on the current installation that is valuable and irreplaceable on a CD.

If you don’t have a burner…go to officeMAX…they probably have one for around twenty bucks.

You should be aware…even though XP comes with drivers for tons of peripherals… you might find the need to locate the drivers for older devices like sound or video cards. I mention this…because you might not have the ability to surf the net from your computer…depending on what drivers you might need…it’s always nice to have a backup plan.

If I can help…get me on MSN messenger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont really think that that will work for me. My OS is on a 120 gig drive (and so is my video/anime collection and most of my games). Some of the files are too large to fit on a cdrw or even a cdr. :twisted:
SpeCies

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate it Mr.Hat for the advice I had XP Home Edition on this box once before using my step-fathers disk and it worked wonderfully the weekend that it was on. Well, being the way my dad is being a stickler for following every rule to the "T" I reformatted back to Win98. <Microsoft wouldn't of bothered me if I kept it on> I did it just too satisfy him.

Anyway, you are 100% right about what you suggested Mr.Hat !

Come too think of it Metal KMKZ, I do have a friend who is a vendor so I am going to get up with him and see if he could slip me a OEM version of Win98 since they are a dime a dozen if you know where to go. But you did not hear this from me Thank you both!

I'll keep you in mind if I hit any dead ends Mr.Hat... Cya...

Mr Hat wrote:
I would VERY STRONGLY recommend you do a fresh install of XP.

98 uses FAT32…XP will work with FAT32 but it’s much happier with NTFS. NTFS will need a clean format and a fresh partition.

You should be aware…even though XP comes with drivers for tons of peripherals… you might find the need to locate the drivers for older devices like sound or video cards. I mention this…because you might not have the ability to surf the net from your computer…depending on what drivers you might need…it’s always nice to have a backup plan.

If I can help…get me on MSN messenger

Darkath

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't you have just bought the full version of Windows XP to begin with so then you would not of had to worry about doing an upgrade?

Upgrading leaves a lot of old files from the previous version of Windows still on your hard drive after the install of the new version. Reformat, and do a clean install.

^^^ Clicky
SpeCies

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lack of cha-ching is the main hang-up Darkath.

Darkath wrote:
Couldn't you have just bought the full version of Windows XP to begin with so then you would not of had to worry about doing an upgrade?

Mad-Hammer
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean to repeat myself or sound like a smart ass but, why pay $99.00 for an upgrade of XP when you can pay the same or less for the complete XP disk.
Second, you didn't happen to create another partition on your hard drive did you? If so, it might solve your large file problem by storing them on the other partition.
SpeCies

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a OEM version for $78.00. The complete store bought package ranges from anywhere between $125 on up. As far as a second partition goes, yeah I created a 300 meg storage bin that I use to store win98 and and the rest of my system files there just too avoid the need for my CD's.

No need to apologize, I appreciate the advice

Metal KMKZ wrote:
I don't mean to repeat myself or sound like a smart ass but, why pay $99.00 for an upgrade of XP when you can pay the same or less for the complete XP disk.
Second, you didn't happen to create another partition on your hard drive did you? If so, it might solve your large file problem by storing them on the other partition.

FingerDemon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Species,

I believe Cobra is right. I think as long as you have one legal copy of some version of Windows on a CD, you should be good to go. Even if you don't have the version of Windows 98 that you had installed most recently, but you have another valid Windows CD from another machine, that should work.

I too am a stickler about the licenses, not because I'm so moral, but because I want to reserve the right to call Microsoft with questions if things go wrong. If you have a legal install now and you have a different legal CD to use during your XP install, I think you should be okay to use the CD. All they are trying to do is make sure you are upgrading, which you are, so it should be fine. Since you are doing a reformat of the HD, they can't rely on searching the HD for the previous install, so this is the only way they can check.

By the way, you say your 98 disk is hosed, but it might be good enough to get past the XP install screen that asks for a previous Windows disk. A CD that can't install Windows anymore might still have whatever verification data they are looking for. If you really can't use it, perhaps you can just find someone that already upgraded past 98 to loan you their disk for your install. I don't think that violates any User agreements or anything. They aren't using it anymore, so it is a valid available copy. I dunno, I'll have to ask my wife the lawyer.

Of course that's whole can of worms right there. Everytime I ask her a question about software licenses, she assumes I have installed some Warez or something on her laptop. Or that I'm file sharing Metallica MP3's on her internet account.

I had to go and marry the only lawyer in town who worries about "breaking" the law.

FingerDemon
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: