FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
NCT for JCOM!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnCarterofMars

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:30 am    Post subject: NCT for JCOM!!! Reply with quote

That would be New Computer Time for JohnCarterofMars, if you are not familiar with abbreviations (its also called something else by the armed forces, but I can't recall it right now as I am just getting my day started)...

JCOM is ready to get himself a new box in preparation for HL2 and future extreme games. I have asked our beloved John_Doe, hardware and computer guru extrarordianaire, to give me some input on the system and components I should look to purchase. I thought I would see if you all had any suggestions as well...

I am looking to only spend around 1500 USD and likely not all in one chunk. The way it is looking, I will likely have to buy a few components at a time, if I am going to build it myself, or go through one of the mass computer sellers like Gateway or Dell and get it on a payment plan. Anyway, the important point is 1500 is the ceiling for exspenses on this little baby.

so far I have found a couple of items on my own that I think might be okay for the system I want:

P4 2.6 Ghz hyperthread tech, 800 fsb
Nvidia Ti4200 128 MB 8xAGP
512 MB RAM at least
15" - 17" flat panel display (prefer viewsonic or other quality monitor brand) *this is for the wife actually so she can use my old box when I get the new one installed. I already have a 19" monitor.

Here is where I need some of your thoughts:
some brand (socket 478, 800 fsb) motherboard w/onboard ethernet
some brand soundcard (or should it be onboard too?)
tower case
power supply

Anyway, I am excited about going through the process of deciding what I want and all that. JD will be sending me his thoughts and I will keep you all updated on this project as it progresses. Thanks ahead for your thoughts!

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blown

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.falcon-nw.com/

These ppl make some awesome computers.

They had this one on techtv, now its not that much for being upgradeable, but man its pretty sweet just itself. I'd go for a better vid card upgrade over the stock unit.

[EDIT] Oops forgot the link for the FragBox

http://www.falcon-nw.com/fragbox.asp

Last edited by Blown on Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
PondScum007

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falcon nw is insane, if onyl i had an extra 4,0000 for a new comp ;p

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check this thread & lurk at mah posty

http://www.theville.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14333

I know without looking prices have dropped. you could prolly get even mo bang fer ya buck.

BTW- JD only knows how to purchase puter parts...actually putting them together....is aparently something he doesnt know how to do.....long live da parts box!
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/bz/index.htm?iid=ipp_browse+motherbd_d875pbz&

^^^about 150$

soundcard: make sure it supports directX8.1 (newer games require it)

case: i like this one: http://www.thermaltake.com/xaserCase/xaser3/v2000a.htm
Robert E. Lee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard this other places so it may or may not be true.. Flat panels aren't that great for gaming. I know at work when I scroll to fast everything kinda gets blurry. So I could only imagine what a fast paced game might look like.... Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert E. Lee wrote:
I've heard this other places so it may or may not be true.. Flat panels aren't that great for gaming. I know at work when I scroll to fast everything kinda gets blurry. So I could only imagine what a fast paced game might look like.... Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Apparently the latest generation of LCD monitors with a 16 ms refresh time are ok for gaming, but the older ones with a 25ms or slower refresh rate dont cut the mustard for gaming unless your playing MS Hearts.

Chances are you should stick with a CRT monitor for now, they are less expensive , easier to look at, faster for gaming....and alot heavier than a LCD

JD has been considering a 19" LCD for some time but still has not found a reasonably priced one with all the features he is after.

JD

Location: Cuba, you got someting to say about dat mang!?!? Guild: TVB

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, Im not sure where you heard that Rob, but I've heard it too, and I have to say, I haven't had any problems with mine. Actually, I prefer it to my CRT Display, as the colors just seem to be a littlle deeper to me(i.e. black = ore black, blue = bluer, etc. etc.)
Blown

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azrael wrote:
Hmmm, Im not sure where you heard that Rob, but I've heard it too, and I have to say, I haven't had any problems with mine. Actually, I prefer it to my CRT Display, as the colors just seem to be a littlle deeper to me(i.e. black = ore black, blue = bluer, etc. etc.)

Ya but thats cause you just stand around and dont move. LOL

Ive heard that too, and if you take one and move your mouse back and forth like you would play youll see the blurring that Rob described. Thats if you have a slow refresh monitor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Bright Red Nipples

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My monitor must have a faster refresh rate because I get no blurring. Like Azrael said the colors are much more vibrant with my lcd then they ever were with my crt. I heard about the lcd's not being good for gaming but I went to Evil Con Carne's house and saw the game on his lcd and was impressed enough to by one for myself. But like JD said, they aren't cheap.

God Bless You Blue Ruler
Twisted29

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCOM, i'm putting a box together this weekend....what a coincidence!

As for mobo, i'm getting an ASUS p4p800s (around $90 [url=clicky]http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4p800s/overview.htm[/url]). It has the 800fsb, using the dual PC3200 ram. It also has an onboard soundcard (nothing fancy) an 10/100 card, 8usb ports, 1934 port, wi-fi capabilities, agp 8x, and overclocking options.

Fairly pimp, I'd say. I'll give you a further report upon purchase
Twisted29

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to spam....but one more thought. LlamaBeans still owns a chunk of midiwarehouse.com, right? He can probably sell you a soundcard with 'theville' discount At any rate, i'd swing by there and see if he's manning the live tech-support section (he does that a lot). He can at least point you in the right direction as far as that goes....
JohnCarterofMars

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wasn't planning on using the panel for my gaming. It was intended for a peace offering to the wife since I will be spending all this money on a toy for meh.

Plus it will allow for her to setup my old box in the living room. The flat panel will fit right on the edge of the endtable next to the couch nicely. with a wireless keyboard and mouse she can't say a thing about me on my computer, when she has one fast enough for her needs and has it next to the TV.

thanks for the info t29 i'll see if I can track down teh llamabean. good luck on your newmachine! I wish I oculd say I was building mine this weekend, but its gonna be a slow road, a piece at a time. But I think it will be much cheaper than going through a computer builder.

I do enjoy putting computers together and I have no ph33r of that part of the process. I just want to make sure all teh hardware is compatable and good quality.

quality is JCOM's biggest issue. the box I have now, I bought in 1998 and though many upgrades and changes it has remained good enough to play games and churn the graphics programs I use. JD helped me turn it from a 400mhz to a 1.2ghz a year or so ago but I need more POWER!!! MUHAHAHAH!

I will keep you all updated on the project as it looks to be something that shall take plenty of time to document. I should have my new comptuer by the time HL2 comes out! hehehe

**/edit - yes indeed twisted that is a schweet lookin board. I like the RAM capabilities. JD what do you think?

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
John Doe
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twisted29 wrote:
Not to spam....but one more thought. LlamaBeans still owns a chunk of midiwarehouse.com, right? He can probably sell you a soundcard with 'theville' discount At any rate, i'd swing by there and see if he's manning the live tech-support section (he does that a lot). He can at least point you in the right direction as far as that goes....

Not Llamabeans, but Beandaddy of PWG.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arg! Why do people always get good computers?!?!?!?!?!?! Stupid potato's POS comp...

Looks really good JCOM I hope you enjoy it.

<TVB>Potato
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: