FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
School help
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do u think that game violence causes actual violence in society???
yes
14%
 14%  [ 6 ]
no
85%
 85%  [ 36 ]
Total Votes : 42

Speaker's Xeno

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:00 am    Post subject: School help Reply with quote

ok im writting a report on game violent and its effect on society for my college english class and i want all your oppinions for this. im going to ask my teach if i can use this as a source but if he says no then to bad u guys are the most valed oppinions i can accept as honest.(too many grammar mistakes but i dont really feel like spell checking right now) so please help if u can take the poll please and when u do please write some insite for me to review

ps please give me honest answers as best as u can i dont want to give the wrong infomation to people when they read this.

thank you one and thank you all

peace out

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Potato-VS-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pfft no its only when people decide that the game isnt enough for them and then they wnat to do the real thing. And thats only with people with major psychological problems and when they dont have parents/family to say "wait a minute your getting kinda strange with this whole I LIKE TO SHOOT CARS THAT DRIVE BY ON THE FREEWAY thing."

<TVB>Potato
shockwave
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaker, I feel that the source of people for this poll is not enough to give you a real answer. You are asking about video game violence from people who play these violent video games. If most of us thought that it hurt us or society we would most likely stop.

Just my two cents.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think that violence around schools are caused because a kid is both messed up in the head, and has easy access to weapons. the only reason why people blame it on video games, and things like marilyn manson is because its easy to point the finger to them. there just trying to avoid amarica's gun laws. if you haven't thought of it already, watch the movie bowling for columbine, that might help you find other reasons that school violence happens
SpeCies

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that if somebody especially children who go out and kill are born with the "F*ck Up Gene" and it's only a matter of time before they run into what triggers they're pent up madness.Take these kids who played Grand Theft Auto 3 and are now blaming the game for they're stupid actions,

Grand Theft Auto- Sued For Wrongful Death*

VIDEO GAMER X- Discusses Violence In Video Games *

It's the parents who fail these kids and not the gaming industry. The neglectful parents have to have a finger too point somewhere, why not at the source that had taken the roll of where they should of been !
[HALO]MasterChief

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpeCies wrote:
It's the parents who fail these kids and not the gaming industry. The neglectful parents have to have a finger too point somewhere, why not at the source that had taken the roll of where they should of been !

i couldnt agree more.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Video games don't promote violence in children. IMHO they do the exact opposite.
Have you ever heard someone tell you to hit a pillow when you were mad or upset? The point of the exercise is to release the energy on an unfeeling, useless and lifeless object so that you won't instead release that same energy on a person. Video games act no different than that very same process, emotionally or mentally. By playing a violent game, you're releasing any "negative" energy you might have at one time experienced; shooting, punching, etc.
The problem originates when parents neglect their children. If violent games are really the problem, then number 1; remove the games from your child. Violent games don't magically appear when you're gone, replacing that Elmo Land you bought your sweet angel last christmas. While you're removing the games however, go ahead and remove their access to any violent movies (PG or above) and books, as well as adding child blocks to your TV. You will also have to start sending your child to a private school, or begin homeschooling him, so that he isn't exposed to our savage public education facilities. Forbid him from going outside, or the enemies might intercept and brainwash him. Take away all food besides the healthy ones, and feed him only correct serving sizes, so that he doesn't go insane. Last, but not least, force him to listen only to quiet, slow, soothing music.
I've heard all these arguements at one time or another. Anything seems to make your child go insane--be it food, violent TV or games, bad kids at their school or naughty public places--everything seems open to blame besides the one that matters, yourself. Violent games seem to be a #1 arguement for all these special parents who defend their inncocent bean bag, but any excuse they could possibly make is rendered forfeit because it immediately points back at themselves. It is not other people's responsibility to discipline the maniacal bastard you call your child.

/me goes off to attack someone with a garand buttstock
DOD MADE ME DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
Violent Pacifist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shockwave wrote:
Speaker, I feel that the source of people for this poll is not enough to give you a real answer. You are asking about video game violence from people who play these violent video games. If most of us thought that it hurt us or society we would most likely stop.

Just my two cents.

Actually, I think he is asking exactly the correct group of people. It would be better to get an opinion from us, rather than a parent who feels games are to blame instead of themselves. Half of the people that speak against violent games are brainless in the first place.

It's true that we might stop playing violent games if we thought we were hurting ourselves or society, but we also may not. ANYBODY that has ever commited "school violence" of any kind knew exactly what they were doing. Did one of those many people who comitted school shootings stop and think about how he was going to hurt himself, others, and his country? He might have, but that didn't stop him, did it?

[HALO]MasterChief

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Violent Pacifist wrote:
Shockwave wrote:

Just my two cents.

Actually, I think he is asking exactly the correct group of people. It would be better to get an opinion from us, rather than a parent who feels games are to blame instead of themselves. Half of the people that speak against violent games are brainless in the first place.

It's true that we might stop playing violent games if we thought we were hurting ourselves or society, but we also may not. ANYBODY that has ever commited "school violence" of any kind knew exactly what they were doing. Did one of those many people who comitted school shootings stop and think about how he was going to hurt himself, others, and his country? He might have, but that didn't stop him, did it?

If you are trying to figure which side is "right" for your paper, you should try to have an argument from both sides. this way you can tell the reader the points that the other side had and give and then give your reason why they are wrong. This way you paper isnt completly biased and what not. Thats just some advice that my english teacher gave last year in college and it makes sence to me.
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what I think about this whole subject. Video games themselves do not cause violence in the real world. It's the same with anything else such as TV, movies, music, etc. None of these things cause violence in themselves. Any sane person can make their own decisions regardless of these influences. If they are going to shoot someone, then that is their decision and they have the power to stop, or change their mind. Things like games, movies, TV, and music are all factors that can influence people to commit violence, but it takes a lot more to cause someone to do so. You can take away all these influences, but that may not mean the person is not going to do something violent. Video games could be factors in violence in the real world, but cannot be fully to blame.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Potato-VS-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, not everyone would stop something if they were hurting themselves or society - look at smoking. Its really just an POV for each person. If you believe that its harmful or not. Theres not any inbetween you either think that its harmful (which most people who dont play games thinks) or not harmful (gamers). Its just a two sided argument. Try to argue on behalf of both sides during your paper and then make a conclusion based on which you believe is the correct one.

<TVB>Potato
Bright Red Nipples

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[HALO]Master_Chief wrote:
SpeCies wrote:

i couldnt agree more.

Very well said!!!!

God Bless You Blue Ruler
Violent Pacifist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[HALO]Master_Chief wrote:
Violent Pacifist wrote:
Shockwave wrote:

Just my two cents.

If you are trying to figure which side is "right" for your paper, you should try to have an argument from both sides. this way you can tell the reader the points that the other side had and give and then give your reason why they are wrong. This way you paper isnt completly biased and what not. Thats just some advice that my english teacher gave last year in college and it makes sence to me.

You want to be as biased as possible if you're writing a persuasion paper. Arguing both sides makes you sound like an idiot, and makes it all the harder to persuade people to believe you.

If you're only writing an essay however, then go ahead and argue both sides. Letting a reader decide shows that you're unbiased, which gets a + as far as I know.

_-=Did It Hurt=-_
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me just say that the two have nothing to do with each other.

'nuf said.

Cool Sig by KRG. Thx

The Proud, the Few, US-V or The Ville Supporters (V$)!!
shockwave
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that yes violent people are violent no matter what. But if a violent person does not know about explosives, do you think that they will be able to "invent" explosives on their own?

DoD shows us that if we shoot people in the head they will die more quickly, shows us how to aim, etc.

For those people who are violently inclined, I feel that they problem is not only in video games. Movies, television, news programs and news papers all show the cruel side of the world, and "normalize" violence. If we were able to convince teenagers that they don't want to see R rated movies, violent video games, etc, or we provided them with an interesting alternative, we would be able to help stem the use of alcohol, drugs and violence.

Just my two cents (that makes four cents for this post, wierd.)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: