FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Jack-O'-Lantern

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kjeldorian Royal Guard 42

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:57 pm    Post subject: Jack-O'-Lantern Reply with quote

A stingy drunkard of an Irish blacksmith named Jack had the misfortune to run into the Devil in a pub, some say on Halloween night. Jack had too much to drink and was about to fall into the Devil's hands, but managed to trick the Devil by offering his soul in exchange for one last drink. The Devil turned himself into a sixpence to pay the bartender, but Jack quickly pocketed him in his purse. Because Jack had a silver cross in his purse, the Devil could not change himself back. Jack would not let the Devil go until he promised not to claim his soul for ten years.

The Devil agreed and ten years later Jack came across the Devil while walking on a country road. The Devil wanted to collect, but Jack, thinking quickly, said "I'll go, but before I go, will you get me an apple from that tree?" The Devil, thinking he had nothing to lose, jumped on Jack's shoulders to obtain the apple. Jack pulled out his knife and carved a cross in the trunk of the tree. This left the Devil in the air, unable to obtain Jack or his soul. Jack made him promise to never again ask for his soul. Seeing no way out, the Devil agreed. No one knows how the Devil ever managed to get back down!

When Jack finally died years later, he was not admitted to Heaven, because of his life of drinking and being tightfisted and deceitful. When he went to apply for entrance to Hell, the Devil had to turn him away because he agreed never to take Jack's soul. "But where can I go?", asked Jack. "Back where you came from!", replied the Devil. The way back was windy and dark. Jack pleaded with the Devil to at least provide him a light to find his way. The Devil, as a final gesture, threw a live coal at Jack straight from the fire of Hell. To light his way and to keep it from blowing out in the wind, Jack put it in a turnip he was eating.

Ever since, Jack has been doomed to wander in darkness with his lantern until "Judgment Day." Jack of the lantern (Jack o'Lantern) became known as the symbol of a damned soul.

#Evil Bat

People believed that spirits and ghosts left the grave on Halloween and would seek out warmth in their previous homes. Villagers, fearful of the possibility of being visited by the ghosts of past occupants, would dress up in costumes to scare the spirits on their way. They would also leave food and other treats at their door to appease the spirits, so they would not destroy their homes or crops, but instead move on down the road. They also began to hollow out turnips with a face either painted or carved into it, and place lighted candles inside, hoping the image of a dammed soul would scare the spirits away.

#Vamp
=US-V= Member/Event Coordinator - Retired
<eVa> Founding Father/Leadership/Webmaster - Retired
Ville Admin - Retired
Potato-VS-

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea Ive heard that one before. I cant believe that people use to be that stupid .

<TVB>Potato-VS-
Replica
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stupid or not its a cool story, reminds me of the soldier and death story, depicteds in the jim henson muppet hour ( not the muppet show, the jim henson muppet hour)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool story indeed.

speaking of Halloween, got any cool new pics for this years Haunted House KRG??

http://www.myspace.com/pvallone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kjeldorian Royal Guard 42

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have 'em for you in a week or two. I'm just too busy right now to do much of anything. Between the haunted house and the costume shop, I can barely find time to breathe.

"Simulated nippage" will be here soon.
=US-V= Member/Event Coordinator - Retired
<eVa> Founding Father/Leadership/Webmaster - Retired
Ville Admin - Retired
Bright Red Nipples

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kjeldorian Royal Guard 42 wrote:

#Shocked

God Bless You Blue Ruler
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, good story.

So a drunk man can outsmart the devil TWICE?!?!?!

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Speaker's Xeno

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Potato-VS- wrote:
Yea Ive heard that one before. I cant believe that people use to be that stupid .

<TVB>Potato-VS-

man potato if that drunkard was stupid then how smart is the devil...hmmm...can u answer...i think not...*random movement*...*likes doing the ... thing...thinks its funny...ok im done...wait...ok im done now...no im not...ok im done*slaps himself in face to stop*...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
OS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OpTlk wrote:
got any cool new pics for this years Haunted House KRG??

Post them up when you do KRG.
Mr.Kason Allen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaker for the Dead wrote:
Potato-VS- wrote:

<TVB>Potato-VS-

man potato if that drunkard was stupid then how smart is the devil...hmmm...can u answer...i think not...*random movement*...*likes doing the ... thing...thinks its funny...ok im done...wait...ok im done now...no im not...ok im done*slaps himself in face to stop*...

Good job......young grasshopper
Replica
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kjeldorian Royal Guard 42 wrote:

ready?

(oYo)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: