FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Spy Spotting thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Doe
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2001 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CyCoDad
Re:Spy Spotting. ( Theirs )

1) Get to know the default weapon per class. That is all spies can carry.
This means meds with med kit aren't spies ! I personally shoot all engies that carry that stupid ray gun Doesn't help much with soldiers and HW but it's a start.
2) Engies and Medics can detect spies without getting hurt (usually). So if you
see them chasing someone from your team, it's probably a spy, help them.

3) If a player shoots or isn't carrying their default weapon, they aren't a spy.
If you are running the wrong direction like a spy would, it might help to shoot or carry something other than your default weapon. But who really thinks about that at 2 health and running for a pack

4) When someone stops and stares at a SG, they are often a spy. A quick shot will tell you for sure while doing minimal damage if your wrong.

5) 9 out of 10 times a sniper running towards you is a spy. Didn't you just see them at the church ? Unless a point has just been taken and everyone is falling back, shoot man shoot.

6) Know what classes are on your team. Sometimes spies don't do their homework.
I've seen spies come in time after time as a medic and we didn't have one on our team at the time, hmmm how ever did I know he was a spy everytime ?

7) When in doubt, shoot it. If it bleeds, it's a spy. Shoot it some more and run to the nearest SG.

If you are a spy or scout, bump everyone on your team. If they are a spy, you will know soon enough and so will everyone else. Of course I've seen peeps not shoot spies that were uncovered but there are some things beyond your control.

9) If that HW or Soldier appears to be moving to fast, It is probably a spy. Possible a speed cheat, but usually a spy.

10) Don't act like a spy !! Especially when mirror damage or friendly fire is on. I've had teammates that acted more like the spies would than the spies did.

11) If someone changes color from NME color to your color, They are a spy !! They didn't
just change teams !!

Added the last for a little comic relief...

Come on guys , help me out I'm sure I've forgotten or overlooked something.

CyCoDad
Re:Spy Spotting. ( Your own )

1) If an NME is near an SG and the SG isn't firing, it's one of your spies.
2) If the name is a different color than they are, it's one of yours. You don't always have time to check but pay attention if you do.

3) If you shoot them and they don't bleed, stop shooting, it's either one of yours, horrible lag and they are gone anyway or you're just a lousy shot so why bother.

4) If a teammate just shot them and they didn't bleed, it's one of yours. Don't assume his gun wasn't powerfull enough to make hime bleed, but yours will do it. It's like an initiation sometimes, you just stand there while all your teammates take turns shooting you It can be very frustrating.

5) If you shoot your own spy once, he should understand, If you shoot him more than once he may switch teams just so he can frag you And deservedly so, I might add.

I always end up shooting my own spies as a sniper, unless I saw them head over, but the game gives you that one for free. I feel bad when I do it but better that than letting an NME medic get through Arghh... but I don't make the same mistake twice ( usually that is )

Death
Re:Spy Spotting.

Man I love what you said on Number Three Made me laugh.
1) Spies like to tick you by doing the jumping thing so shoot all jumping peeps.

2)They try and run backwards tward you.

3)They will try and fool you by shooting each other but they don't bleed. Whatch for this They love to do this on warpath.

4)If they hesitate when moving tward you shoot. It's a spy.

5)If they get through the bld on avanti and go through they are a spy. Shoot them.

No People I am no expert but spies know to stay away from me. Whit CycoDad and My suggestions you will be as good as anyone at Spy Spotting.

Them Spys Better Watch out. LOL

<PWG>SuperZero

Great posts so far, I've just got a few things to add:
1.) Watch for slight oddities in color or weapons. Sometimes spies (for one reason or another, prolly glitches in the skins) will be slightly off-color, or even carry the wrong weapons (scouts w/ ac's, for example). Also, spies as soldiers are often scouts with rocket launchers. This doesn't happen all the time, but if it does fire away, it's a spy.

2.) Always check the I.D. tag for everyone in your area. Spies disguised as members of your team will have a teammate's name assigned...often YOUR name. If you see this, shoot. Also, know what classes your teammate's are playing as. If the name doesn't match the class, you're looking at a spy.

3.) Check the bodies lying on the ground! I can't stress this enough. I've found many spies simply by running over every "corpse" in the battlefield. If you run over a feigning spy, you'll feel wobbly as you go over him, like you're on a solid object. When you stand on a spy, he can't unfeign, shoot, OR prime a gren, so check if the coast is clear and then crowbar/wrench/medikit the poor sap. They "love" it.

4.) To hell with mirror damage, perform spychecks and shoot at limbs. If it isn't a spy, you've just taken 3 points or so...big deal. If it is, you could have just saved yours or a teammate's ass. Trust me, it may annoy your teammates a bit, but it's a lot better than a knife in the back.

5.) Engies, watch your sg! These are prime targets, and attract spies like magnets. If you see any wierd movement or grens coming at it, you've got a spy on your hands. First priority is to wait for the first gren to go off, run in and hit your sg once, then get the hell out before the next does. This SHOULD save your sg. After that, nail that spy, he'll be easy to spot now that he's tossed the grens.

6.) Build dispensers in key spots. Even if you suck at detting them, if a spy touches one you get that telltale "Enemies are using your dispenser" message. Check what the spy is, zap a warning out to your teammates and open fire.

7.) SGs tend to draw the most spies. Watch out for it, the attacks will come. Though I know it can be hard to organize roles in the online chaos of Aville, try to pair up a heavy class like a soldier or hwguy with every couple engies to watch the guns and help with spies. As an engy I'm often frustrated when I can see the spy from a mile away but can't save my gun because I just don't have the firepower to kill the spy quickly enough. Plan ahead for spies, and try to work in pairs. This way you'll have the advantage, since spies *usually* work alone.

8.) Sometimes you see somebody that's just completely out of place. If an engy is running away from the front lines carrying a raygun, he's either very brave, very stupid, or a spy. The same goes for a sniper. If you see a medic running from the frontlines with a gun, shoot him. Most medics that charge the enemy tend to use the medikit and generally be annoying (not true with some of the better medics out there, but better to be safe).

9.) Watch for inactivity. If the enemy charges and that soldier next to you isn't shooting at all, he may be a spy (or a moron). Again, it's worth checking. Likewise, if that engy hasn't built jack-diddily-shit or that sniper hasn't raised his gun at all, he's likely a spy.

Bear in mind that a lot of the trick behind finding spies is "feeling" them out. I can't explain it, but after a hardcore ass-whoopin by many of the high quality spies that play here when I first started the game, I've gotten a real feel for how spies move and act, and where they'll be at any given time. If you actively watch for them and (most importantly) remember how, when, and where they've gotten the best of you, you WILL get better at spotting them. Once you do that, you have to learn how to kill them That is a skill I leave to you.

Happy hunting and cya in the ville!

CyCoDad
7. Re:Spy Spotting.

Good suggestions. I did forget my favorite tension reliever. Find a spy that is feigning, maybe you get lucky and see it, or maybe you sense it like SuperZero said, and stand on them so they can't stop feigning.
Now take out your crowbar or wrench or some appropriatly embarrasing weapon and beat him. Loads of fun, trust me, it makes up for tons of backstabbing

The engies dispenser is a great weapon against the spy, but needs to be used by an experienced engineer. Some people just build them because they see other people build them. But that is a different topic. We need SuperZero to do a post on being a SuperEngie I know I've learned a couple things just by watching him play engie.

Digest all the facts and when you play, you will develop a feel for spotting spies, eventually you will sense them and then comes the greatest compliment when some spy accuses you of cheating because you are so good at spotting spies . That is when you know you have arrived !

<PWG-r> GoLeM

I always thought that a spys name would show up as the name of a person on your team that's the same class they are disguised as? I also think I remember seeing that their name appears normal (in their color) if they choose a class that you don't have on your team.
But ALWAYS if your not sure then shoot! Just don't unload your magazine. It kills you and blows their cover, and is quite annoying.

As a sniper try to switch to autorifle before doing a spy check. The sniper rifle will sometimes throw your teammate halfway across the map and get him killed by the enemy. ( I really need to learn this!) And don't try for a headshot on a possible spy. You might kill yourself. ( Another of my weaknesses...)

If you know their is a spy then watch your back. It's very rare for anyone other than a medic to run directly towards you. Just make sure its really a medic

If your teammates don't shoot at someone running the wrong way don't think that it's not a spy. Check for yourself unless you saw someone else check and saw a hit but no blood.

And my favorite, if a teammate and an enemy are running clsoe to each other and not shooting its definately a spy!

And most important don't come after me if your a spy! The odds aren't worth it.....

Date: Jun 20, 2001 on 03:35 a.m.

<PWG>SilverOne

I love this thread.
But why do you guys want to kill me, and my spy friends?

hehe

John Doe

Now this is more like it ! This is what I wanted to see if the tips section. Thanks everyone for your posts.
I believe everyone has said all that I could have said, plus much much more.

I cant stress point 7 by superzero enough. Help the engys by defending the sgs. A soldier in my opinion can be the best choice, they can move quick enough to cover several SGs, the engys will fire on whatever the soldier is firing on, and soon that incoming spy will be dead and the SG's will still be intact.

If the attacking team is full of spys and your defending team has 4 SGs but they keep getting killed by spys I tend to switch to spy. I like to play as a defensive spy at this point in the game. I approach every player that I see coming towards the SGs' if its a attacking spy they will loose their disguise and the SG's will cut them down in a matter of seconds. This doesnt help your stats, but you sure feel good about helping the team. A scout can also do this, but a scout is quite fragile and most likely will die more than if you do it as a spy.

Another defensive spy tip that I like is when you team is defending the church and you have SG's in the church just feign right at the doorway to the church. If any spys try to sneak in to take out your SGs they will loose their disguise and be cut down by the SGs. Again its not improving your stats but it sure helps the team.

sHiDDa
11. Re:Spy Spotting.

names
the ENM spy's name shows up yours, when he is disguised as a class, your team doesnt have, else he has a name of the/a teammember of the class he is disguised as.

CyCoDad

When an NME spy disguises as a class you have on your team, he gets a name from someone of that class at the time he disguised.
I'm pretty sure I've seen a spy of a class we didn't have and his name was someone else on my team, not mine.

The one thing I can say with certainty, is that the NME spy name always matches his color, while your spies name will never change.

If you are RED and a BLUE player has a RED name it is one of your spies, no ifs ands or buts. So why keep shooting him ?

Great comments on SPY vs SPY techniques. A lot of people don't do that because of stats but it sure is a pain when a SPY blocks the church entry. I also hate it when I bump a disguised spy in NME territory and get mowed down by the SGs

Best point is TeamPlay , protect SGs from spies and they will protect you. I've seldom seen any Team defend well without a couple SGs. But I have seen Good Teams get embarrased because their spies were all stabbing behind the lines and a lone spy took out the SGs and capped 3 and 4 with no delay because of it.

While on the subject, TOSS PACKS PEOPLE !! Only a couple of players seem to even think about it. If you need the heatlh and take a pack an engie is trying to get, TOSS the extra.

And quit taking packs you don't need like by the church right after respawn. You respawn with full health, armor and ammo (except grens) on Avanti. Only the engie is down 50 metal at respawn as far as I know. A gun needs to be level 3 to have a chance against HW and standard grens. One pack can be the diff between a gun staying up or going down.

But I guess that should be in a TEAM Play post or a Build a better SG post

Date: Jun 20, 2001 on 01:19 p.m.

<PWG>SuperZero

Yet more great info, Cyco...you really hit on one of my pet peeves when I engy, and that's people grabbing packs no matter whether they need it or not. It's true, that delay has often cost me my sg and sometimes even ended the round. A build a better sg post? Hmm, maybe I'll post a bit of engy stuff sometime. It'd be a helluva long post, but if it's even half as helpful as this thread has been so far it'll be worth it. Lemme know if you're interested, and great ideas here so far from all who've added their wisdom to the collection! Spying may start getting a little harder at the Ville (tho I'm sure Silver, Frag, Zero, and their gang of thugs will have no probs adapting)

CyCoDad

We need an Engie post and who better to do it then the Super Engie himself. You can't teach your skill and instinct but a few tips might help someone. Go for it SuperZero !
The other day I saw a socalled engineer beating a gun for several minutes without getting a pack in between. As I ran by I hit it once and it upgraded. I had to wonder what he was thinking. LOL.

RE spy spotting:

1) If the NME has a pyro near the front watch for the teammate that isn't on fire. Yup, probably a spy.

2) If your medic has been busy, watch for a teammate who SOUNDS sick, but doesn't infect you. My bet is he's a spy.

3) Always be wary of anyone trying to get behind you unless it is a medic with med kit out or an engie with wrench out.

4) On warpath shoot anyone who might be a spy (based on weapons etc) heading into a cap point you already own
CyC0Dad

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of my favorite posts out here and full of very valuable info, I just wanted to get it to the top for now so more peeps will read it.
ice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also i didnt see this mentioned but,spy as sniper cant put sniper scope up to there face,so if you see a snipr with a scope up (zoomed),it isnt a spy
FragFailure

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh oh, information about spies. Oh well, remember this.

You can't stop Frag, just HOPE to contain him

See you all on theville.org

-<PWG>Recruiter
-theville.org admin
-<PWG>FragFailure

[ This Message was edited by: FragFailure on 2001-08-29 13:48 ]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
SuperZero

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true, you can't stop Frag...but you can slow him down. Use these tips to your benefit...if you spot him and open up on him, he'll run if he knows he's outgunned and come back for you when you aren't paying attention. Sneaky as hell, but that's why he's so good, lol. He chooses his battles well...try to outsneak him...doesn't mean it'll work, but if it does...

My guess is that this post has painted a big target on my back...oh well, bring it on Frag

Daigle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can stop me you contain me but i will cap the flag no matter if i have 50-1 or 1-50 as a score (damn stat people)
ApacheEyes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pennies worth of what I've learn't so far ...

(1) Shoot anything that runs towards you.
(2) Shoot anything that lies on the ground.
(3) Shoot any spy that falls down after been shot by yourself or teammates.. alot of players assume that just because the spy is on the ground, they killed them (there's often not a chance to check up on the right to see the kill register as things happen so fast.
(4) Pay attention to dead spies changing skins on the ground as they change to early after dying, you can often pick them out easier as they run back towards you and warn your team mates.

(5) When in doubt SHOOT, it does piss some teammates off, buts that too bad.. Better safe than sorry and they are gratefully when you actually save their asses, especially if they are chasing stats.

(6) Frag - I'm an easy target, don't kill me. there is no honor in killing a time lagged newbie, go kill the stat chasers and piss them off instead

Ap.
Bakuryu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2001 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually frag isn't hard to spot. All you have to do is listen for a grenade being primed and look at where the sound came from. 9 out of ten times it's frag (you use way too many grenades lol) You guys forgot something else too. I've seen spies disguised as the enemy spies holding shotguns OR knives. If someone's a spy, shoot them anyways because spies will disguise as other spies. Also, CHECK BEHIND YOU and around you at all times. Now I don't mean spin around in circles like an idiot (while fun, this may induce vomiting and noob-like appearance), but check around you often. Many spies like to flank or come from the side. These guys are good enough to slip by most of your team, chances are you're an easy target if you don't look around. I have to write this down too, infect and heal everyone as a medic (i must've infected ghanja about a million times bc my team never spy-checks) and shoot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Twisted29

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2001 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came up with a new Spy technique the other day, and I thought I'd let you guys know, because you're cetaintly going to see me testing it out over the next week or so.

First, grab a gasGren and throw it in your own respawn or a high traffic area. Don't worry this doesn't harm your teammates OR make them hallucinate. However, you will take mirror damage from this. (Only 1 point every couple seconds). While your team is standing on your grenage it sounds like you're infected, so call for a medic and charge towards the enemy base. Its a pretty convincing act. Most enemies get out of your way and try to avoid you. Then, once your behind them, turn around and stab them all. You just have to be careful of helpful enemy medics who will try to heal you. But, because spys can move at roughly the same speed as medics, just prime a fraggrenade and the medic won't know who just gibbed him.

I've also found a great way to inconspicuously grab health behnd enemy lines. This was always one of the hardest parts of being a spy, because the longer you stand around waiting for a pack the better the odd of getting spotted. What i've been doing is standing on a pack (solly or HW works best for this) and when I receive one, run over to the nearest sg and throw a pack towards it. Then run back to the initial pack and wait for more health. Enemies who see this tend to believe your just a very helpful and team orinented player. (Little do they know).

Thats all of my Twisted Tips for now, I do still have a couple secrets but I cant give them all away.

Oh, one more important thing. Know thy enemy. If you see that cycodad is sniping, or that tink is an enemy medic, don't try to stab them. Most of the regulars here are very, very good at spotting spies. As a spy, your job isnt to destroy the entire defense (as much fun as that is), but to weaken their lines. Take out sentries and any foolish defensive player you can. Just remember to change your desguises, change your location and change you targets, keep the enemy on their toes and they wont even notice you.
(nsk)Whodaman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2001 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm glad you all feel that you've got a grasp on spy spotting. But remember those LONG LONG paragraphs and replies and posts next time you get a knife in the back, because now we spies no what not to do and who not to do it too. Too bad we're still gonna do it to you. Just thought I'd add that.

Bada Bing

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2001 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips guys, now I know even more things not to do as a SPY. Why do you hate us sooo? All we want to do is distract your D so the O can Cap. Is that so bad??? HEHEHEHE
Sorry got of track again.
Its a great post we need these for all classes.
I will also help us spies by making our team mates watch out for us as well. I just hate when my own team does more damage to me than the opposition.
Just last night my team hurt me more that the enemy. Here is an example. I have carefully worked my way behing a HW my knife is drawn and I have cut him BAD. Just as I am going to plunge the knife in deep one of my soldiers fires a rocket at the HW well golly I get blown away from the HW, he goes on to fight and I am down on health and armor.
Gosh you would think that the soldier could see me and HW I am the right color, my knife is out but NO he just shoots away.
Oh well I am getting too anal here It is JUST a GAME.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
CyC0Dad

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2001 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the addition of the neotf mod, it should be noted that the Upgraded Multi-Guns detect spies (like you didn't know that). The question is why do people continue to shoot a Blue player with a red name standing next to a red MG ??

The real question is how do we get the people that need to read this to come here and read these threads. I guess I need to do a new thread about MGs and their uses as well.
BronX Bomber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2001 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point Dad. Most of the people that need to read this stuff don't even know the Ville has a site. Not to mention a forum that helps people out. I play spy alot and also can't understand why people do the things they do. But when the Ville gets 5000+ players on its severs every week. And only some of us come to the forums everyday. Its hard to help even half the people that are doing these things.

"The Yankees are rich and smart. No wonder they're so good." - Peter Gammons
SpeCies

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2001 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmmm, Your a Redneck if<cough> meant Spy..
Sorry I could not resist..

OS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2001 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol!!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: