FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Still typing "buildspecial"?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kjeldorian Royal Guard 42

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2001 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is just not acceptable to be typing in your consol while fighting! Trying to get an mg up on command point 3 in Warpath before the other guys get there leaves no time for typing in consol! Trying to run face first into a pile of sg's and having to pull down the consol is crap! So here it is again. Type the following in the consol while in game. The consol is usually reached by pressing the ~ key just above the Tab key.

build kp_ins _special2
-note there is a space after build and a space after kp_ins.

This will bind the specials to the 0 key on your 10 key pad. This button will trigger build mg for engy, build laser missle for sniper, and airstrike for scout and spy. Now you only have to type this in once and that's it. From then on your special will always be on that key, even if you leave, shutdown, reboot, whatever! Hope it helps you live.

=US-V= Member/Event Coordinator - Retired
<eVa> Founding Father/Leadership/Webmaster - Retired
Ville Admin - Retired
Ktulu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2001 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The above example will work great but you have to type it in the console everytime you play. If you want it always to be there just put this in your config.cfg file located in c:sierrahalf-lifetfc

bind "F10" "buildspecial"
bind "F11" "detspecial"

Then just press F10 to build and F11 destroy
You can replace the F10 and F11 with any key you want just make sure nothing else is assigned to it, if so remove that bind.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2001 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats not true. You type it once and you'll never have to type it again. Trust me on this one. If you have to do it everytime something is wrong on your end.

Ville Admin - Retired

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2001 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more there Cthulhu, why would you bind the special to key you have to reach for? As demo do you still have your det set on 5 or d? I would hope not. Taking your eyes off the screen can get you killed. Trust me, it works.

Ville Admin - Retired
Ktulu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2001 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kjeldorian Royal Guard I have Half-life installed on 3 pc's and if I type your bind in the console it goes away the next time I restart HL, that's why I had to put the binds in the cfg file... works everytime for me.
Another good reason to put your binds in a config file is so that it is easier to modify the bind in the future without having to memorize all the commands and it's easier to work on and build more complex binds this way.

Reply to your 2nd post:
---------------------------------------------
why would you bind the special to key you have to reach for?
---------------------------------------------

Your bind makes you reach for a key too, the "ins" or "0" key(s) while this may work for you my hands are no where near those keys so there is no wrong bind key, whatever works best for you is the right one.

One more there Kjeldorian Royal Guard as a demo I have keys bound for all the different dets in fact I have binds for every class in its config file.... the default binds did not work for me.
For an interesting thread on config configurations check out this thread, it's pretty interesting to look at everybodys configs.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2001 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get so wound up. It's definately not something I want to argue about. I would not have posted this if it were not completely true. I understand that it's different for you. It very well may be that way for many others. However, everyone I have shown this too has never had the problem you had.

If you feel you need to add something to a post, great that's what this forum is all about. But dont go willy nilly telling people that they are wrong. You will confuse people. Is it so hard to believe you could be wrong? I have actually seen this work for me and others typed it once and never typed it again.

Thx for your info though, I mean now there are two ways people can do this! Maybe this will help someone, in any case, blah blah blah.
No hard feelers!

Ville Admin - Retired
Ktulu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2001 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wound up? argue?? "willy nilly telling people that they are wrong"???

I thought my post was informative most people do put there binds in a config file and your way does not include destroying the mg (very important!.... are you still destroying yours with your shotgun?)
Sorry if I offended you and I never said you were wrong, your reading something that is not there and you are taking things to personal, relax dude were all friends here but I must say this is not the first time you've nipped my butt.

{added edit}
and you asked me a question :

"As demo do you still have your det set on 5 or d?"

so I answered it, defiantly not "willy nilly" LOL what does that mean? where are you from?

and talk about, I qoute you:"If you feel you need to add something to a post, great that's what this forum is all about. "
check out this post you put up last night.... just about the most useless post i've ever seen
{end edit}

[ This Message was edited by: Ktulu on 2001-12-18 03:35 ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2001 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you're just going to be an @ss about the whole thing so just drop it. Let it go. Do not reply to this anymore unless you are overcome with the need to argue. In which case I will not respond. I was helping, I helped. It's done. As for useless posts, everyone does that from time to time get used to it. Goodbye. Convo over.

Ville Admin - Retired

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2001 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On second thought, screw that. We got our wires crossed. Your input is appreciated, if I took it the wrong way, then my bad. I don't want to be an ass and you were trying to help in your way. There is that nice or what! No hard feelers really!

Ville Admin - Retired
ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2001 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ktula can you post one of your classes config files with these binds. I would like to see it.
Is there any special command to put in first to unbind the other binds or do you just put in your class specific bind and it loads automaticly when you load that class?

Hamese
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2001 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought somebody else should get a chance to post in here. KRG I am not going to tell you that you could be wrong. However, it has been my experience that when you bind a key into the console at the start of the game, you will lose it when you disconnect. That is why they invented .cfg files. Now if the bind you type in console is recorded in the .cfg file, thats fine, but I have not ever seen this. (I may have never even considered trying, guess I will experiment today)

Also, the "_special2" is a good command to know. I like it better than remembering buildspecial or airstrike.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hamese
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2001 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roof, again I am pretty sure that you can just add the bind into the class specific .cfg file, so that it will load when you play that class.

Example for a engineer would be:
Half-LifeTFCengineer.cfg

You could edit it to add:
bind (key to bind to) "_special2"

So it might look like this for the forward slash and the period keys:
bind / "_special2"
bind . "detspecial"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cstone

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2001 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are losing your in-game binds, check your config.cfg and make sure it is not marked as read only. Right click the file and go to properties.

-cstone
Hamese
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2001 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cstone, so if it is possible, then does it save them for the class that you are? Or does it save them for overall use for all classes? I guess I have never noticed, and need to.
cstone

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2001 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you bind anything through the console or by adding it to config.cfg - the bind works for all classes.

However there is a way w/ autoexec.cfg and the class cfg's to make class specific binds. But I don't really know how thats done.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: