FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Good Earth

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IrishMan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:30 pm    Post subject: The Good Earth Reply with quote

hey guys,
I was given a summer reading project and that was to read The Good Earth by Pearl S Buck, because were going to be tested on it the first week of school (monday) and i was wondering if anyone else had read it? Its a pretty interesting book. Anyways if you have, post some things that might help me while i study for it!
Greebo
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Translation:
OMG!!!!1111 I had this book to read and I didn't and I need someone to tell me what happens otherwise I'm up a certain creek without a certain instrument......!!!!11111
IrishMan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha excuse you, but im on chapter 26 of 34 DONT MAKE ME SUMMARIZE EACH CHAPTER HERE!!
ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliff notes... how many people would of just failed if it weren't for those jewels.
shockwave
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROOFCUTTER wrote:
Cliff notes... how many people would of just failed if it weren't for those jewels.

My teachers also read cliff notes. Then they woudl ask questions that were not in them. They were mean.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, books in High School that had no impact on your impending career. It's sad that 80% of what you learn in schools you won't need in real life. Real life as in working 40 hours, earning a wage, paying for expenses. None of those books had any lasting impact on me. The Good Earth, Catcher In The Rye, and The Pearl. I only read those cause I had to.

- PWG member 2001
- TVB founder and leader 2001-2004
- The Ville's Vegas Bashes I-V
- T.V.L. (Ville TFC League)
- The Originator of the Off-Topic Posts
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
IrishMan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah man, the good earth is okay, but it puts you to sleep sometimes with its incredibly long chapters...

Oh and im getting a little twitch in the top of my right eye...could that be eyestrain or what?
Violent Pacifist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you see, Frag, it's traditional, so you have to. Plus, all those stupid books ALL have secret messages hidden inside of them that you have to spend the rest of your life trying to figure out because:

1) It's so secret, that not even the teacher knows what it is, but insists there is one: discuss with a group, create a hypothesis, find the conclusion, discuss some more. The teacher will be by to tell you to search and discuss harder in 5 minutes.
2) You will never be told what the secret meaning is. The teachers might insist they know, and say something that is completely irrelavant to the book, your life, and everyone else's. Example: The secret meaning of "The cat in the hat" is that we're all special, and that strange cats sould be treated with love.
3) Here's the doozy. There is no meaning! It was a pointless book that is/was very bad entertainment, and was some of the most tedious and mind wrenching writing ever to be read! Maybe back then it was entertaining, since they didn't have 1,000,000 authors to choose from, had no radio, had no TV, had no computers. But, because they bought a lot of them, it must be good!! The kids today are so stupid for not finding this book great. What is the world coming to?

I'm going to hate reading books like that for highschool, no matter what angle I approach it from. Maybe the people today should look at some more modern literature. Not everyone enjoys reading 19th century or older books that have no meaning.

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.

Last edited by Violent Pacifist on Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Violent Pacifist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IrishMan wrote:
yeah man, the good earth is okay, but it puts you to sleep sometimes with its incredibly long chapters...

Oh and im getting a little twitch in the top of my right eye...could that be eyestrain or what?

Books that put you to sleep and make your eyes twitch aren't good books IMHO

Kazebari
Official Mall Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone actually read books for recreation besides me? :\
Violent Pacifist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kazebari wrote:
Does anyone actually read books for recreation besides me? :\

I do. I have quite a few books that I like.

ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The secret is the book is meaningless, its the road it takes you down that is important.
Your right Violent, any book modern or historical if well written should lead you down a desired path of discovery.
At least there are options now...God I hated Shakesphere
I don't read books like I used to. Just trade magazines now.
Violent Pacifist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROOFCUTTER wrote:
The secret is the book is meaningless, its the road it takes you down that is important.

Learning to curse? Learning to deal with frustration and stress? Learning how to burn a book and laugh like a manical warlord who just conquered all of Europe?

I should answer that the next time I am asked "Why did we read this?" or "What is the message of this book?"

Ack, you edited, so now I have to There really aren't many choices as to what you can read in highschools. I'm going to read Rmeo and Juliet this year, as well as some other shakespeare books in the later years. Then I have to read things such as medal of honor, animal farm, books I've never heard of etc.

5th GHG E.G. Mine

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only books I really remember from high school are the ones that weren't assigned in class, i.e. 1984 being the most recent one. Everything else has become pretty much useless knowledge, with the exception that maybe that book'll be of some sort of inspiration to my mind in the future, otherwise, nah, not much use. Read what you think is good, IMHO. Hell, most of the books I was assigned to read in school, I would have read eventually, anyways.
sharkbyte
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I read a lot of books, there are only a few (and a few short stories) that I recall. Can't really say why they stand out...

To Kill a Mockingbird
Of Mice and Men
Macbeth (Untranslated)
Flowers for Algernon
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: