FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
New Comp
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
[njk]Nopeace4u-DBD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 4:29 pm    Post subject: New Comp Reply with quote

In need of a new comp for half-life 2 & doom 3 do these specs seem pretty nice to you guys?

Case: Alienware Full-Tower Case (420-Watt PS) - Space Black
Cable Management: Alienware Cable Management System
Processor: AMD Athlon™ XP Processor 2800+
Motherboard: ASUS A7N8X Deluxe - NVIDIA® nForce2™ Ultra 400 Motherboard
Memory: 1GB DDR SDRAM PC-3200 - 2 x 512MB Module
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce™ FX 5600 256MB 8x AGP w/DVI & S-Video
Video Cooling: AlienIce™ Video Cooling System - Astral Blue
Hard Drive: 80GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ATA-100 2MB Cache - Quantity 1
Optical Drive One: Lite-On 52x32x52x CD-RW - Black
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster® Audigy 1394 - 5.1
Network Card: NVIDIA® DualNet® Integrated 100Mb Ethernet
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional
Display One: NEC 19" MultiSync FE991SB Flat CRT - Black
Keyboard: Microsoft Internet Keyboard - Space Black

Hopefully they give me a credit card and i can pay it off or ill just have to wait a few weeks to get the cash and sell my computer.
cobra
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems really nice. you will be able to play more then hl2 and doom3 alone.

though i would prefer the ati 9800 pro 256mb ddr ram.
Vulcan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About how much is this setup costing? I too am looking into getting a new computer, but unforunately, my budget seems to be getting tighter and tighter.
cobra
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vulcan wrote:
About how much is this setup costing? I too am looking into getting a new computer, but unforunately, my budget seems to be getting tighter and tighter.

about 2000$
[njk]Nopeace4u-DBD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well cost is the main thing this setup is about $2000, i looked to build one myself but the cost is only a few hundred off & im a lazy bastege..lol, BTW cobra I hate ATI always have had problems with em geforce has been good to me..lol,

If anyones interested im gonna try selling my computer first, if anyone is looking for a comp pm me & ill give u a list of specs & a rough price to work with.
cobra
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[njk]Nopeace4u-DBD wrote:
well cost is the main thing this setup is about $2000, i looked to build one myself but the cost is only a few hundred off & im a lazy bastege..lol, BTW cobra I hate ATI always have had problems with em geforce has been good to me..lol,

If anyones interested im gonna try selling my computer first, if anyone is looking for a comp pm me & ill give u a list of specs & a rough price to work with.

well LOL i always had troubles with my nvidia.
[NoClan]Lunt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it all sounds good but todays intel chipsets are above and beyond AMD (I hate to say it cause Im an AMD guy)......and audigy sound cars are a waste of money(for now)...you can tweak a sound blaster 5.1 dolby to sound like the Gods if you have the right speaker system......buy an audigy when there 50 CDN..........
Krauty

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could always replace that 80gb 7200rpm 2mb with an 8mb for better performance . I had an audigy card....disappointed with it, it kept messing up when i was playing at theville, it would make all weird, loud noises. so i bought an extigy and havent had problems yet. As for the intel chips, i'd still go with AMD, lower cost, and the XP's are still fast enough. im on a tbird 1.4 and its faster than the newer computers at the office, surpised me because they are 2.2ghz and have 512mb ram. It gets to a point where i dont think cpu speed doesnt matter as much anymore. seems like overkill, things pop up really fast on my "obsolete" system, but it takes a hell of a lot longer on our new office computers to load media player and to load a simple window. But thats probably just that make of processor, the others are probably far better...but i dont have the money to throw around, so i'd just go with an XP unless you really need the power that the new intel chips are putting out and have the money to blow.
"I think it's dumb when people say video games affect kids negatively, I mean, if Pac-Man affected us, we'd all be hanging out in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music...." (Trance)

-unknown
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
KillerRoofcutter
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds good that should defenitly support it all

PICKACHU GOT OWNED!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
John Doe
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well DBD, I just have a few thoughts.

Double check that the ram is dual channel certified and that the board supports/requires dual channel configurations.

I agree with other peoples points, right now I am an Intel P4C fan over the AMD Duron CPU's. Its a few dollars more but they run much cooler and you can overclock the snot out of them.

Doesnt mention much about casefans, hopefully they are high quality, perhaps with a fan control so you can keep the noise levels to a minimum.

A FX5600 is a middle of the road card for a loaded up box like this. A higher end ATI or NVidea card may be worth looking into but it will depend on your primary uses for the box. If your into nothing but 3D games then it may be worth it, if you play games as a sideline then perhaps not.

I would increase the capacity of the drive to say 120gb, and if you do IDE try to get the 8 mb cache as mentioned by others. For performance you might want to consider SATA drives if that Asus board has SATA support.

Are you planning on overclocking? If so then you may want to research the Nforce2 boards further, I dont know where this Asus board sits but as I understand it Epox has the king of the boards right now for AMD overclocking.

Also, check to see if that board has built in sound. If it does then I wouldnt spend the money for a Audigy as most boards now have really decent 6 channel built in sound.

Thats all for now, have fun.

JD
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And one thing I thought of, you might want to wait towards x-mas. The P5 will be out then.

Quote:
Epox has the king of the boards right now for AMD overclocking.

I read about this too JD. look at tomshardware.com and a couple others. Epox is better for over clocking but not as good and regular speeds and will light on fire like a roman candle too
Blown

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DK wrote:
And one thing I thought of, you might want to wait towards x-mas. The P5 will be out then.

Quote:

I read about this too JD. look at tomshardware.com and a couple others. Epox is better for over clocking but not as good and regular speeds and will light on fire like a roman candle too

I love my Epox boards. Asus sux, my buddy went thru three of them with capacitors that kept blowing. Id upgrade the vid card if it was me. I know ya dont like ATI but they sure have come a long ways from a while back. Only other thing I see missing is a dvd drive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
cobra
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blown65 wrote:
DK wrote:

Quote:

I love my Epox boards. Asus sux, my buddy went thru three of them with capacitors that kept blowing. Id upgrade the vid card if it was me. I know ya dont like ATI but they sure have come a long ways from a while back. Only other thing I see missing is a dvd drive.

i'm using the ati 9800 pro and haven't had any probs.
Blown

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 9500 Pro and love it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ProudWhiteTrash

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on a much stricker budget and I thin I may be getting this box soon.
http://www.anitec.ca/productitem.asp??FundID=1&pid=448
For the US people you could upgrade the cpu to 2.4 ghz and add a 17" flat screen monitor and still be under 1000 bux.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: