FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Processor upgrade...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-=Reaper_Man=-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:08 pm    Post subject: Processor upgrade... Reply with quote

Right now I have an AMD Duron 1.3 that came with my computer when I bought it a few months ago. I bought it so that I can pretty much upgrade it for a year or so, and then get a new one, and the processor is the last thing I need to upgrade.

I deffinatly don't know much about hardware, so any help would be appreciated. I was looking at the AMD XP 2100+, but I don't know how it stacks up to what I have now. I'd like to get something in the 2.0Ghz range.

Of course she did, she's a woman.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mr.Kason Allen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muawaawaw Silleh raper I hav now a pentum for demnsion 4600 2.4 GIGAHURTZ I AM TEH KILLAK DAT WIL KIL JOOO with 500 and something mhz front bus MUAHAHAHAHAH
Verman
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an AMD XP2100+ which is rated ~1.67GHZ processor speed. As far as upgrade paths, it'll depend on how far your MB can go in supporting the higher speed CPU, FSB, and RAM.
I read the AMD specs and in order to get over 2GHZ, you'll have to go with an AMD XP2800+. But if I remember published articles regarding the comparison between AMD and Intel processors, there is a performance difference for a given speed CPU when comparing AMD to Intel. (i.e: a 2GHZ AMD is better performing than a 2GHZ Intel)
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Kason Allen wrote:
Muawaawaw Silleh raper I hav now a pentum for demnsion 4600 2.4 GIGAHURTZ I AM TEH KILLAK DAT WIL KIL JOOO with 500 and something mhz front bus MUAHAHAHAHAH

Now where did that come from?

I've got a P4 2.6 ghz and it works pretty good.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Smegma
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if yours came with a duron 1.3 i would check your specs u could be limited to what u can puit in there..what kind of computer was it or better yet what is your mb model then we will know what u can put in there 4 sure

also remember that there are two versions of the 2100+ : Model 6 is the 0.18 micron Palomino core (AMD ordering part number starts with AX2100) and Model 8 is the 0.13 micron Thoroughbred core (AMD OPN starts with AXDA2100). The numbers are on the top of the CPU. and this could come into effect because some bios and mobos do not recognize both.....good luck

RIP- BlueRuler
-=Reaper_Man=-

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the computer at a hole-in-the-wall computer store that I've been buying from for a couple of years (GenStar ring a bell to anyone?), and I told the guy that I pretty much wanted a computer that I could upgrade without too many problems. He pointed me to the one I got, and so far it hasn't been any hassle - I've got a new video card, sound card, and RAM (went from 128 to 512).

How and/or where do I look to see the make and model of my mobo?

Yes, you are right - AMDs processors do have more "power per hz", which is why I've always opted towards them. From what I've read and have been told, the XP 2100+ is about right for my needs and pricerange, but I'm wondering if the next step up will be enough for the price increase.

Of course she did, she's a woman.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Verman
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MB info during POST sequence, startup.
I run Sisoft SANDRA Standard for system info and analysis.
http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/
ProudWhiteTrash

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Want to sell me your old duron cpu cheap?
YourPowersAreWeakOldMan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why you're trying to pump up the GHZ...AMD processors do more clockcycles than the Pentiums, GHZ doesn't equal speed. You can overclock a 2100+ to be faster than a Pentium 4, GHZ isn't true speed, look at how many clockcycles per second the processors do, then choose...the 2100+ Athalon XP is a pretty good one, and costs a mere $55.
BitterBeerFace

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh... I think you might be stuck... unless you can run an athlonXP at a lower FSB that it's designed for.

I'm not 100% about this, but I'd check it for damned sure before I bought anything...

The Durons use a 200MHz FSB, and the lowest AthlonXP is 266MHz, I believe. It all depends on what your motherboard can use. It'll have the same socket, but that doesn't mean the motherboard can use any speed CPU.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: