FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Difference between DOD and CS?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vulcan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 1:33 pm    Post subject: Difference between DOD and CS? Reply with quote

I don't seem to see much of a difference between the gameplay between CS and DOD. It seems to me to be the first one to get to the best camping position.
Lionheart

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you need to play a little longer then.
Vulcan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionheart wrote:
Maybe you need to play a little longer then.

I've played it more than enough to see that it is just another CS under another name. THe only difference I have seen is that it takes place under a different time and different weapons, and you capture flag points. Besides that it seems to have been camp and win.
ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you could make that case against most games of the shoot them up variety.

The main difference is you do not have to wait for the campaign to end before respawning. You get to jump right back in.
omgshovelyouinthebutt?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy the different classes and weapons, and the ability to be whatever u want without the restriction of money.
JtH

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it is very much unlike cs. cs is full of hackers and campers and dod has very little of that. dod also has a much stronger team play factor and that is why i think dod is one of the best mods out. if you have a sniper or mg problem you have to use teamwork to get rid of them. you cant just avoid it. also in real life snipers and mgs just sat there and waited when the rest of the team moved. thats just like dod. in real life you wouldnt run through bunkers and open areas with a sniper rifle. it wouldnt happen. if you can name numerous times when someone with a thompson, or mp40 just sat there the whole game in a spot then i will agree with you. but i also know that that kinda thing doesnt happen often so i strongly disagree that the only thing in common between dod and cs is that they both have guns in them and they both are half life mods.

jack
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what he said.
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see a big difference between DoD and CS. First of all, CS is a counter-terrorist mod where you have to rescue hostages and plant and defuse bombs. The main reason it doesn't seem that way is because people don't seem to want to do that. In DoD, the objectives are to capture flags, steal and protect objects, and destroy vehicles and buildings.

The maps in CS are buit to look like a place where a counter-terrorists operation might take place. In DoD, it takes place in highly-detailed maps designed to look like the locations of some of the important battles. DoD also has much more detailed sounds and models to make the whole game seem more realistic than CS.

There is also a different weapon systems in each mod. In CS, you have to use money to buy everything at the start of each round. The people who complete objectives and kill enemies are rewarded with these credits. So, the best players get the best weapon. This also can make it very difficult for newer players to learn anything. DoD is a class based game where you pick a class with different weapons and supplies, much like TFC. Though, you can pick up weapons that can be more useful.

The thing that the two mods have in common is that there is a lot of camping involved. This can be the same with many games. The game requires a lot more teamwork to complete some objectives than CS. CS can be done with only 1 person, but many maps in DoD takes at least 2 people on each team in order to capture flags.

So, the DoD mod can be compared to many other games including, CS for the camping, TFC for the class-based gameplay, and a few other games for certain things. That's just my 2 cents! Everyone has their opinions and there's mine.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
powdermilkman
Diplomat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah the bayonet prince speaks the truth...good job my son.

Powdermilkman
King of the Bayonet Kingdom
JtH

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aye, king

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevo wrote:

The thing that the two mods have in common is that there is a lot of camping involved. This can be the same with many games. The game requires a lot more teamwork to complete some objectives than CS. CS can be done with only 1 person, but many maps in DoD takes at least 2 people on each team in order to capture flags.

So, the DoD mod can be compared to many other games including, CS for the camping, TFC for the class-based gameplay, and a few other games for certain things. That's just my 2 cents! Everyone has their opinions and there's mine.

It depends also of the map. Camping on Anzio is the best way to lose. That is IMO the best map of DoD, because you always have to move around and cap flags. Moreover, 2 of the 5 flags need teamwork to cap them.

Rock2..... JUST SAY NO!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Violent Pacifist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What everyone els esaid, plus, Dod is about 10x more realistic than CS.

In dod, if you get hit by a kar98, you die in one hit. I don't care if it hit your foot or arm, because in real life, you wouldn't even have that foot or arm afterwards. If you wanted, then I guess dod could simulate that and destroy your aim and balence.
In Dod, the maximum amount of bullets it takes to kill someone is 3. There isn't a single gun that doesn't kill in at least 3 hits. That is also very realistic. If I riddle you with bullets from a smg, you're going to die. In real life, if I shot your arm up a couple of times, you probably wouldn't die right away. But once again, you wouldn't be able to use that arm anymore, if it was even still there.
In dod, snipers and mg's camp. Riflemen camp and attack. SMG's and the sort attack, rarely camping unless it is a forward position and they're waiting for it to clear or for backup.

Now in CS, you can be shot by a pump shotgun at pointblank range 5 times and survive. Is that realistic? You can riddle a guys arms, legs, head, and body with 11 bullets from a smg and they won't die. Once again, how realistic is that? And, the grand finale of all unrealism here, I shot a guy in the head TWICE with a smg at near point blank range and TWICE more after that. Guess what, he lived!! People say that CS is a realistic mod, but IMHO, it is extremely unrealistic. I'm not saying this out of spite, but out of personal experience. There have been times where I shot an entire 30 bullet clip from an AK47 at point blank range into a guy, while I was crouching and not moving (improved accuracy) and EVERY SINGLE BULLET MISSED. Realizing that someone was behind him, he turned and, while standing and moving, shot me twice with a pistol and I died. Also, if you want to get any kills with a smg in CS< you have to either hit their head (a couple of times for some of them), or riddle them with at least 7 bullets.
In CS, if you get shot once in the arm by a pistol, you drop down to the speed of a slug for 6 seconds. Granted that dod does have it odd moments like that (ever get hit by a grenade before it goes off in dod? Same thing happens)

Summary: CS is a wanna-be-realistic mod of terrorists and counter-terrorists, with a bunch of whining, bitching, asshole players that are almost all complete stath00rs/campers/hackers, along with a messed up weapon system.
Dod is a very realistic world war 2 mod with a nice class and weapons system, with semi-camping, more teamwork, less bitchy players, and is altogether a better game.

[edit] Oh yeah, the recoil and accuracy in dod is about 3928504395830458x better than CS [/edit]

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
JtH

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^
|
|
|

PWNAGE
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Violent Pacifist wrote:
And, the grand finale of all unrealism here, I shot a guy in the head TWICE with a smg at near point blank range and TWICE more after that. Guess what, he lived!!

That always depends on a few things. In CS, you can buy a bulletproof helmet and that DOES help stop bullets and reduce damage. So if you really hit someone in the helmet, they might live. And in CS, I have seen many shots from SMG's, rifles, pistols, and most of the other weapons and they died in one shot.

Violent Pacifist wrote:
Summary: CS is a wanna-be-realistic mod of terrorists and counter-terrorists, with a bunch of whining, bitching, asshole players that are almost all complete stath00rs/campers/hackers, along with a messed up weapon system.
Dod is a very realistic world war 2 mod with a nice class and weapons system, with semi-camping, more teamwork, less bitchy players, and is altogether a better game.

You can't really say that ALL the players in a game are all a certain way. I play only on LAN games now with people I know and it is very fun. I stopped playing on the internet mostly because of lag, and maybe that's why I've had a better experience with CS.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Violent Pacifist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevo wrote:
Violent Pacifist wrote:
And, the grand finale of all unrealism here, I shot a guy in the head TWICE with a smg at near point blank range and TWICE more after that. Guess what, he lived!!

That always depends on a few things. In CS, you can buy a bulletproof helmet and that DOES help stop bullets and reduce damage. So if you really hit someone in the helmet, they might live. And in CS, I have seen many shots from SMG's, rifles, pistols, and most of the other weapons and they died in one shot.

Violent Pacifist wrote:

You can't really say that ALL the players in a game are all a certain way. I play only on LAN games now with people I know and it is very fun. I stopped playing on the internet mostly because of lag, and maybe that's why I've had a better experience with CS.

I wrote "with a bunch of" and "almost all". Not ALL And for every one person that just wants to enjoy the game and are fun to play with, there are 10 or so 5 year olds bragging about their e-penises. Considering that there are around 10k servers for counterstrike and about 15x that in players, I have to say the majority of people are immature and annoying.

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: