FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
split internet line

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seele_Kriecher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 9:11 pm    Post subject: split internet line Reply with quote

ok heres the dealio. i got xbox live ok and its on the computer in the basement. the computer im on now and the one that xbox live is hooked up to use the same cable modem but what we did was got this thing to split the internet line so we wouldnt have to pay for another and still have internet on 2 comps. its this wireless thing. it says its a "Wireless USB Network Adapter" if that helps any. anyways heres the problem. before the xbox live my internet was like super fast but now that we have the line split its way slower. for the most part you cant tell when you're surfing the net, but when im downloading something or playing a game i can notice it greatly in my kb/s and ping. the wireless thing isnt spose to slow down my internet any so i was just wondering if anyone knew anything that could be wrong with it and how to fix it. thanks
Lil-Yugi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Xbox Live too.

Do u think ur isp is having problems?

Last edited by Lil-Yugi on Sun Jul 13, 2003 9:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Seele_Kriecher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no i dont think so. i have comcast as my isp. it was att but they switched over cause of some regional thing i dont nkow the whole deal but i dont think its a problem with my isp
Lil-Yugi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO I think its better if the Xbox is on a router or hub.
I use a Netgear 8 port hub and my internet speed is the same.

Last edited by Lil-Yugi on Sun Jul 13, 2003 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Seele_Kriecher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dunno. im not really very computer literate but i can guarantee you it has nothing to do with my isp. there is a slight chance its a prob with the router or whatever but for some reason i think the prob lies within my comp
Lil-Yugi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this will help. http://www.xbox.com/LIVE/Support.htm
Seele_Kriecher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nah ive checked it
DJ George
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a problem I have had similar, but with musical instruments. When you split a line, or combine a line, the signals are halved. Even with the xbox off, it is tring to send a signal to both your computer and xbox. since there is nothing to turely goveren how much signal goes were, so it sends half to your computer and half to your xbox (give or take). A good router will fix this problem, because it will not send a signal to a device that is off, where as a normal hub, or a y adapter of some kind will still send the signal through. This is not a software issue, it is hardware and physics. One way to fix it without more equpiment is to have a direct connection to one device only at a time, and do not use any type of spliters, just one connection that you physically switch (Yes, I did say use manual labor) when you want to use the connection on the other
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Seele_Kriecher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

argh ok well if thats what i gotta do then screw it
BitterBeerFace

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, there shouldn't be anything about the "splitting" of the lines that makes it slower. To use a wired networking example... what I have... my DLink router (the line splitter) connects to the DSL modem at 10 mbps, and when I connect a PC to the DLink, it connects at 100mbps... the chokepoint is not the router/switch/wireless AP

cheezy diagram:

Internet (1 mbps) -> DSL -> (10 mbps) DLink (100 mbps) -> PCs

From what I gather you have:

Internet (x mbps) -> Cable Modem -> Wireless Router -> PCs

Now, when you say it's slower... are both computers using the internet at the same time? If so, they're competing for the (x mbps)... downloading one big file and hog most of your connection...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: