FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
dod strategy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seele_Kriecher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 11:42 pm    Post subject: dod strategy Reply with quote

ok well i figured this goes here instead of the dod section so here goes.

as ive been playing dod on theville ive noticed a few things.

1) people do not support the snipers on their team

2) people do not know when to PUSH UP

3) people do not support one another

1. ok now i know that most snipers are stat hungry pigs but occassionally there are good ones who do a good job of getting rid of the enemy snipers/mgs. they need your support! nothings more annoying when you're trying to help your team by annihilating that other sniper who is killing everything gets into the streets and then you get poped in the back by a shovel or a knife of some sort. if you help your snipers they will help you.

2. there have been numerous times where my team has not pushed up and by doing so they could have turned the tide of the battle. but no, they have to sit there and camp that same damn spot for 3 hours. i often find myself, as a sniper, the only person on offense. now how is a sniper spose to be the only person on offense? they cant its virtually impossible. so PUSH OUT OF THERE and cap some flags.

3. now supporting one another is what i like to call team work. go in groups of twos. if there is a group of ppl that spawns follow one person if you are behind. dont worry about where they are going just be there to protect their @$$ if it gets a little hairy. this also helps greatly in capping flags (where only one person is needed to cap the flag i.e. on kalt). if one person is killed the other will almost surely get the enemy therefore leaving him alive to cap the flag.

pleas comment on what you think and add whatever you would like
shovelnose
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grrrr angry todd

but i agree, teamplay is kind of lacking on dod

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree to an extent. some games i get really good team play and support, when other times i have mgs all around our first flag when we have the first 3 capped. it happens.

jack
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JacktheHomeless wrote:
i agree to an extent. some games i get really good team play and support, when other times i have mgs all around our first flag when we have the first 3 capped. it happens.

jack

I agree, occasionally there are times when team play just does not happen. On these occasions I just whip out the trusty shovel and have some FUN and of course a few #Beer #Beer.

click--><eVa>SuperGreg

R.I.P Trigger Happy
Violent Pacifist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, youre right, teamplay is lacking. But when you pub on dod, you can't expect much. Most of the players are either new or are just stat h00rs who could care less what happens as long as they get their 7 kills without any deaths.

1) Most snipers I've seen sit back at respawn and get about 1 kill every 15 minutes. Some give up and roam around never sniping anything. So generally, there's not much to support. However, when there is a sniper who knows what to do and is willling to do, I'll give them full support.

The same goes for mg's. All to often I've noticed that my team is losing because of the lack of defense at our current cap points. I respawn, look around, and see 2 or 3 mg's protecting spawn. And even if you tell them to movce up, or that they're not doing anything at all, they won't listen. It's like they think someone is going to somehow make it past guns that already protect spawn and kill us all. If an mg is willing to move up though, they need to be well protected. All they have is a pistol, a knife/shovel, and a gun that isn't accurate and can't be shot while moving around. Seeing as how mg's are pretty much the backbone of all defense and the advancement of offense, they need to be able to get into position fast and easily.

2) Once again, most of the people that don't push up, are either new or are stat hoors. Though there are a few people that will catch on (only people that are new to the game it would seem) and move up, most of them will just ignore you.
What really gets my blood going is when your ENTIRE TEAM IS JUST ACTING STUPID. A true story on Kalt would probably be the greatest example. I go forward and kill about 5 people on the other team that are protecting the bridge, all by myself because I'm forced to go rambo seeing as how my team doesn't understand the concept of capturing a point. I capture the bridge, and call for backup. THERE IS NO ONE ON THE BRIDGE BESIDES ME, NOT A SINGLE ENEMY IS ON THEIR WAY TO THE BRIDGE, IT IS COMPLETELY OPEN FOR US TO TAKE OVER. So here I am, sitting on this little bridge, constantly calling for someone to come and help me out for when the enemies do come. The other team seems to be just as stupid as my team is, or they're expecting a full assault of some sort, because only 1 of them come at a time, with 2 minute intervals or so. So here I am, killing an enemy every now and then, STILL CALLING FOR BACKUP AND RECIEVING NONE. I notice that my ENTIRE TEAM is sitting against the wall right before the bridge. Every single one of them, save an mg or so that might be protecting spawn. And no matter how much I yelled, pleaded, or asked for backup for one of them to come forward, none of them moved. Though a few did throw grenades at my head.
Finally, the enemy launched an assault, killing me and everone else on my team (because they were all stupid), and ended up capturing the map about 1 minute after the intial attack.

3) You're right once again, most people that pub on dod don't support each other at all. This is mainly because most of the people that play don't know how to, or don't want to, move up. On some rare occassions, I'll find an experienced player who knows whats what, and will back you p and expect back up in return.

On one rare game of avalanche, I was on the allies team full of these people. We would launch an assault at the beginning of the map, making the middle and 4th point our primary destination. The people going for the 4th point were distraction for us enough to easily get the middle. The snipers and mg's would move up and make it impossible for the axis to gain control of the middle. If ever one of them fell, we would hold back and take their spot until they got back. I was always on the frontline, killing people as they came out of the archway, therefore lmiting the axis to one less exit. Once we had secured the 4th point, there was an all out rush to gain the last point. The axis had learned not to go out of their intial exit (the archway), because they kept getting killed so much, so our assault on to the last point was easy enough.

That has to be the best game I've ever played. But games like them are very rare.

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
Smegma
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will tend to agree so many times i have seen where nobody will sacrifice a suicide run to get a cap to keep the game alive.they would rather loose than screw up their kill ratio go figure i see this alot on anzio and avalanche . u can usually tell the team players they are the guys with give or take , a few kills more or less of an even kill/death ratio .not all the time though.

its been lots of times when i join a server that is full and people have been there for a bit but only 3 or 4 guys actually have a cap under their belt when i see that i know its going to be along night or game.

i love kalt and flash and when eveyone is participating man them maps are fun.

and again agree with support your machine gunners and snipers i also see it to often people just run by a machine gunner and not drop ammo when he is protecting a vital area ie:the bridge

but hey it does take awhile to figure it all out when new to the game but when a machine gunners calls for ammo and u run right by man what a burn...

man we need just a tvb member night 6 vs 6 to see if we can practice what we preach

RIP- BlueRuler
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen many cases where people don't know how to back up a team member. I was on flash once at the entrance of the trail where about 3 enemies were waiting on the other side. I knew that I couldn't take all of them so I started doing the call for backup voice call thing a few times right in front of a big group of reinforcements from the spawn. There were about 5 people who just ran by me while I was calling. Half of them just got picked off by the sniper around the corner and then one came out of the trail and killed me and almoast capped the last flag.

Now I would never just run by a player calling for backup at that spot near the last flag. Chances are, there are enemies trying to get to the last flag and the person calling for backup probably needs backup! I always try to help other team members when they need it. That's usually the only way I end up helping the team, cause I'm no good on my own. Now if the whole team would do that, it would be a great game.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bright Red Nipples

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see a lot of good points being made here. I have been sniping lately and this is what I have found. The best ways for me to help my team is to eliminate incoming threats and call out those that I can't get to.

As a sniper I see things that others can't. Telling my teammates where the enemy is makes it much easier for them to destroy the other team. As for backup I don't think I need to much. I have only run out of ammo once or twice, no biggie. If the enemy can get me from behind then I need to find a new spot to hide.

I move forward every chance I get. If I can keep the enemy back, camping, and close together than all it's gonna take is a grenade or 2 from my teammates to take out the whole team. However if I am watching a high traffic area and I don't see any of my teammates watching then I will sit and make sure the enemy isn't sneaking behind us.

As for hooring the stats, I have never done to well stat wise. I would rather win, or at least be on a team with good teamwork, than do well in stats. I will jump in and help cap flags when I am the only one to do it. If a teammate is jumping in to cap a flag then there is no reason for me to leave my spot. You will usually see me with a few caps though. If a flag is left alone and my team isn't there then I will jump in and get it, it's all about the win.

Camping is part of the game. It just doesn't work when your whole team is doing it

God Bless You Blue Ruler
Seele_Kriecher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea BRN thats how u play sniper. nothing pisses me off more when theres a dude just sittin back rackin up kills with the sniper rifle not doing anything.

what i do when i snipe is first check the spots where enemy snipers are to make sure i wont get it up the anus as soon as i pop up... that didnt sound right but neways then i get the ppl who are coming towards me. as soon as that first wave of enemies is eliminated i push up to a new spot and repeat the same process. usually on avalanche tho i stop when i have a clear sight of the archway (when im on allies) eliminating one of the exits for the axis. ive turned the tide of the battle numerous times by doing this. its extremely effective if your teammates push up even just a little
Smegma
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brn you are right sir camping is part of this game as sniper or machine gunner i love it when u get a good gunner that knows the map and sets up and just keeps mowing them down and they the other team can not get by that one area, then they start whining about camping because they are getting frustrated i love that shit just means you have to figure onother way to get to him

i`m sure during the "real" war the ememy would call up and say "um yes we are having a bit of difficulty getting over the bridge do u think u could move that machine gunner who has been up there for days killing our guys thanks a bunch . i like the realism in dod maybe thats why i like it better than tfc.

all this talk dam gatta go play now

RIP- BlueRuler
Ryal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:13 am    Post subject: Ryals 2 cents Reply with quote

number one people shouldn't support the sniper .. the sniper should support the people. I'd like to add that people don't support each other b/c others don't communicate enough, I find in dod the only way to communicate is threw the mic. Some find that people talking on the mic is annoying, so most people try to keep their talking to a minimum, but what they really need is to be talking 24/7. I also find dod needs extreme team work if you want to own the other team, I've played on the ville for a little while and their is certain people that are my friends that I try to look out for their butts, I think thats what other people should do and try to make friends on the ville and with the ville regs and members (meaning all the TVB US-V I don't really kno the Halo guys too well but all the people that play on the ville). I think the best way to try to play is try to make friends as you play, even if your friends are good or bad atleast u have their support in the heat of battle. someone let me kno if my way of thinking is wrong also
Ryal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seele_Kriecher wrote:
yea BRN thats how u play sniper. nothing pisses me off more when theres a dude just sittin back rackin up kills with the sniper rifle not doing anything.

Number 1, you can't camp and rack up kills (silleh you) usually my k:d won't be great but the only way to get kills is pushing up (I usually have a 3:1 kd or about 60 kills:20 deaths) and either camping once u pushed up, if you camp at the enemy's second to last flag .. thats hardly camping. You have to think about it, sometimes you have to camp to eliminate enemies then after that you push up b/c the areas clear. In world war 2 I'm sure both teams didn't fight with 2 huge armies and run head on into each other. rgr?

edit: another thing is that if you play well as a team, your teams scores will reflect more as in better scores. Thats what I found, that if you are the only person pushing up and trying to play the game right that your score will be terrible b/c you run into like 10 other people shooting at u
merf
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bright Red Nipples wrote:
I see a lot of good points being made here. I have been sniping lately and this is what I have found. The best ways for me to help my team is to eliminate incoming threats and call out those that I can't get to.

As a sniper I see things that others can't. Telling my teammates where the enemy is makes it much easier for them to destroy the other team. As for backup I don't think I need to much. I have only run out of ammo once or twice, no biggie. If the enemy can get me from behind then I need to find a new spot to hide.

I move forward every chance I get. If I can keep the enemy back, camping, and close together than all it's gonna take is a grenade or 2 from my teammates to take out the whole team. However if I am watching a high traffic area and I don't see any of my teammates watching then I will sit and make sure the enemy isn't sneaking behind us.

As for hooring the stats, I have never done to well stat wise. I would rather win, or at least be on a team with good teamwork, than do well in stats. I will jump in and help cap flags when I am the only one to do it. If a teammate is jumping in to cap a flag then there is no reason for me to leave my spot. You will usually see me with a few caps though. If a flag is left alone and my team isn't there then I will jump in and get it, it's all about the win.

Camping is part of the game. It just doesn't work when your whole team is doing it

Die Camper!!! lol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude ryal snipers need support. have you ever been shoveled/knifed in the back and thought where was the guy on my team that was spose to get him? thats what im talking about. not support as in cover fire to let the sniper push up cause they should be able to do that for themselves and if they cant then they suck. nah j/k but you should be able to do it on your own with no support if you are a sniper.
Mr.Kason Allen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best tip for dod is dont play it

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: