FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Hey, was just wondering how you got that sprite up there.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mammal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 11:57 am    Post subject: Hey, was just wondering how you got that sprite up there. Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm a mapper and I know that when you change a map, even if it's a small change, the user has to redownload it. Now, I was wondering how you managed to get those theville.org sprites up there... Is there a secret to it or did you just insert a sprite in World Craft / Hammer?

Just curious

-Thanks.
ProudWhiteTrash

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive wondered the same. I can add the sprite to a map I made but have no idea how to add it to a existing map/
DJ George
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The changes you see on the maps at the ville are all entities. When you join a server, it sends your computer a list of all the entites and there XYZ location. This is most noticable with the other players, and why they can move around and you computer know where they are. Your computer only use the brushes, and depends on the server for all the point based entities. In theory, you could make a map with no entitites what so ever, and then make a second version for the server with the entities, and the two work together with no problems. Here are the examples of entities -- Anything that can change (Players, weapons, doors, exploding walls, glass) sprites, Anything you can see through. water. You can see this most dramtically when you get a connection error. That is why you see stuff dissappear, because they were entities, and the server locations override the locations on your computer, and wheen there is a connection problem, your computer thinks that those entities nolonger exsist
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-{TwhS}-Black Hawk wrote:
The changes you see on the maps at the ville are all entities. When you join a server, it sends your computer a list of all the entites and there XYZ location. This is most noticable with the other players, and why they can move around and you computer know where they are. Your computer only use the brushes, and depends on the server for all the point based entities. In theory, you could make a map with no entitites what so ever, and then make a second version for the server with the entities, and the two work together with no problems. Here are the examples of entities -- Anything that can change (Players, weapons, doors, exploding walls, glass) sprites, Anything you can see through. water. You can see this most dramtically when you get a connection error. That is why you see stuff dissappear, because they were entities, and the server locations override the locations on your computer, and wheen there is a connection problem, your computer thinks that those entities nolonger exsist

Everything that he said.

AdminMod allows admins to do this easily. You just have to name the entity and put in an xyz location and it will go where you want it to. The client just had to download the new sprite, sound, or whatever file before connecting for the first time.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mammal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

AdminMod allows admins to do this easily. You just have to name the entity and put in an xyz location and it will go where you want it to. The client just had to download the new sprite, sound, or whatever file before connecting for the first time.

Thanks, I had no idea adminmod could do that.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: