FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
k98 v. M1 Garand

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seele_Kriecher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:29 pm    Post subject: k98 v. M1 Garand Reply with quote

i was just wondering what ppl thought about the difference in these two guns (k98 and M1 Garand) and what they thought should be done to make it more balanced between the two.

i think that the accuracy of the k98 should be reduced slightly so that you cant use it as a sniper rifle. also that the garand should have slightly better accuracy so you can use it at longer distances effetively (it is a rifle after all). other things that could be done to make the garand a little more of a comparison to the k98 is making the ROF higher and maybe doing something with the arm hitboxes but i dunno. as far as reducing the power of the k98, that would just make it a horrible gun because it takes too long to reload between shots.

just my 2 cents. id like to hear yours.
Replica
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe... they were meant to be that way?
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the german rifle was more supior for the time it did have better accuracy as was their ammo

RIP- BlueRuler
Violent Pacifist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: k98 v. M1 Garand Reply with quote

Seele_Kriecher wrote:
i was just wondering what ppl thought about the difference in these two guns (k98 and M1 Garand) and what they thought should be done to make it more balanced between the two.

i think that the accuracy of the k98 should be reduced slightly so that you cant use it as a sniper rifle. also that the garand should have slightly better accuracy so you can use it at longer distances effetively (it is a rifle after all). other things that could be done to make the garand a little more of a comparison to the k98 is making the ROF higher and maybe doing something with the arm hitboxes but i dunno. as far as reducing the power of the k98, that would just make it a horrible gun because it takes too long to reload between shots.

just my 2 cents. id like to hear yours.

The accuracy of the k98 shouldn't be reduced at all. It is in fact, a sniper rifle. If you pick the grenadier class, your gun is a k98. If you pick the sniper class, your gun is a k98. The only difference between the two, is that one has a bayonet, and the other has a scope. IMHO, the only thing that should be done to even these guns out (along with the einfield, which is exactly the same as the k98), is to increase the dmg the garand does so that it kills in one hit all the time.

Otherwise, it's a give and take on both of them. The garand fires faster, carries a larger clip, doesn't kill in one hit all the time, and isn't as accurate. The k98 fires slower, carries a smaller clip, kills in one hit all the time, and has more accuracy. The accuracy and fire rate already balence each other out. The only thing that's out of place is the dmg. They're both powerful rifles, and should both kill in one hit.

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
Seele_Kriecher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the garand had excellent accuracy, power, was reliable, and it was semi-auto (obvious last point). therefore it is not as good in dod as it was in the war
Violent Pacifist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even so Seele, this is a game, and as a game it has to be balenced. If the garand in dod was as you just described, then it would basically be a faster firing kar98 with a larger clip. The game creators have to even it out some, otherwise noobs and pros alike would be hooring the garand.

IMHO, the creators should only have reduced either the accuarcy of the garand, or the dmg of it (not allowing it to kill in onw hit all the time). Unfortunatly, they did both.

shovelnose
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have to agree with VP on this one. nothing would be worse than a gun that is as deadly as a k98 but shoots faster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not saying make the garand as accurate as the k98 just a little more accurate than it is right now. also the germans used the most accurate k98 rifles for conversion to the sniper type, so therefore the sniper rifles should have slightly better accuracy than the standard k98 rifle which is not the case.
Clay Pigeon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The k98 and the enfield need to have secondary damage limited (no more 1 shot, 2 kills). The second person in line shouldnt take any more than 50 damage, as logically the bullet would have used up most of its energy exitting the 1st person...
Seele_Kriecher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yay! someone who hasnt said i was wrong. and i agree with your point
JtH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well if you guys remember before 1.0 came out the garand was a one shot kill gun and was good, real good. they left the firing rate down so it wasnt truly semi. i think what they should do now is up the damage to not quite one shot kill and lower the firing rate just a tad. this would even it out almost exactly. also you guys are failing the mention the garands secondary attack, the buttstock hit. this second attack is deadly in just one hit unlike the bayonet which is one hit kill only if you get them in the head. so that evens it out just a little bit more. before 1.0 the garand had a much slower firing rate but was one shot kill and if you remember everyone was hooring it. it was one of the best guns in the game. i think all that needs to be done is up the damage a little and the garand will be quite even to the kar. as of now it takes 3 shots to kill someone assuming you dont hit them in the head. its hard to hit them in the head when you are running around so if they just up the damage a little so 2 shots kill them it should be rather equal. with the current firing rate you can get off 2 to 3 shots for every 1 shot with the kar. that would seem to make it pretty even.

jack

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JacktheHomeless wrote:
well if you guys remember before 1.0 came out the garand was a one shot kill gun and was good, real good. they left the firing rate down so it wasnt truly semi. i think what they should do now is up the damage to not quite one shot kill and lower the firing rate just a tad. this would even it out almost exactly. also you guys are failing the mention the garands secondary attack, the buttstock hit. this second attack is deadly in just one hit unlike the bayonet which is one hit kill only if you get them in the head. so that evens it out just a little bit more. before 1.0 the garand had a much slower firing rate but was one shot kill and if you remember everyone was hooring it. it was one of the best guns in the game. i think all that needs to be done is up the damage a little and the garand will be quite even to the kar. as of now it takes 3 shots to kill someone assuming you dont hit them in the head. its hard to hit them in the head when you are running around so if they just up the damage a little so 2 shots kill them it should be rather equal. with the current firing rate you can get off 2 to 3 shots for every 1 shot with the kar. that would seem to make it pretty even.

jack

Actually jack, the garand does kill in one hit. If you can hit the person in the body, they'll die in 1 hit. The arms and legs do 90 dmg, therefore taking two hits.

Also, the buttstock doesn't always kill in one hit. It's exactly like the bayonet. Some guy rammed a buttstock into my back, and it only did 50 dmg.

JtH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my bad lol but you have to agree that the garand was better before 1.0.
everyone used it when now you can play through 3 or 4 rounds without anyone on allies using it.

jack

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check this thread for a break down of all the guns. it details how much damage is done when you hit a certain hit box.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: