FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Sniper Q for JD and others
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Magoo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Doe,

I haven't really played sniper, but gave it a try last night for a map. I have 2 questions for you on Sniping.

1) How long does the sniper rifle take to reach full charge?? Some folks have told 3 seconds, another 5 and yet another 10 seconds. Against a weak class (scout) you might get away with out being full charged but assuming something like an HW thats standing around, how long for peak damage.

2) I was playing warpath last night on your side and you were sniping. I saw you on the roof of cap #4. Did you gernande jump up there from the ledge on the back wall??
I was curious if this was a possible thing to try for an old blindman like me.

Thanks for your (and others) wisdom,

Mr. Inquisitive Magoo
erba_knoff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohh ... on warpath #2 and #4 you can granade jump whith (i think ) all granades. The demo pimp once! and the rocket!

John Doe
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes 3 seconds for a rifle to be fully charged, that will kill anyone if you get them with a headshot, and its a must to kill a HW guy. Anything less and you will require another shot which sometimes you dont have the time for.

If your just trying to slow someone down, a legshot will help, then a finishing shot.

Yes, I grenade jump up on to that roof on occasion, it doesnt leave you with much health, but it does give you a good overall view for defense

MunkeyEye
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 3-sec charge is sufficient to kill most classes, but for HW, I'd like to charge it for as long as I possibly can (in a scenario when he spots you) before letting go. btw, only a fully-charged headshot can kill a full-health/armor HW, but I'm sure ya'll know that.

Because the duration in charging a shot pretty much equates to the probability of the kill, most snipers are quite useless up front where all the action is. In the time it takes to charge a shot, you'll either be blown to bits or diced by an sg. and it's pretty pointless to fire at an anemy with a weakly-charged shot since you'll prob get killed by him the next moment.

I know this was a topic of contention in previous posts regarding the "pro-activeness" of a sniper, but imho, it's all part of the gameplay role the HL envisioned. A forward-running sniper is as useful to his teammates as a scout trying trying to defend a cap-point - just not the roles they were designed for.

my 2 cents and expecting change back...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
ApacheEyes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Munkeyeye - I agree with you, except I've seen some snipers hang "TOO" far back and are as about useful to your team as a knife in the back..

Thats my 1 cents worth.. no change required

[ This Message was edited by: Apache_Eyes on 2001-08-27 15:43 ]
SuperZero

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I agree w/ Munkey, but Apache hit the nail on the head when he said some fall too far back. When we're going for cap 3 and there's snipers still in spawn (quite common), or on warpath charging the base and snipers are still at 3...well, both of these happen a lot and both are useless. But good snipers can carry a team if they aren't afraid to get towards the back of the front (hard to say that right...they're in the action, but they're at the tail end of it and have some cover to take out anyone that gets through or is causing probs, etc).

LOL, in the true spirit of the forums, we're already digressing from the topic...that was quick.

Bakuryu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2001 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno about you guys, but If a HW is chasin me (huffin and puffin), I keep shooting him in the foolt so he slows down more. Then when I reach a safe distance, I aim for the head. Sometimes I shoot 'em in the foot and circle em with the nailgun. I wouldn't advise doing that unless you are well-versed in strafing or if you have a death wish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
{BGS}GLOOMIE357

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2001 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as far as how long it takes to charge a shot, I think it is more about you ISP connection or Broadband. When i first play TFC, i was using 56K but now I have cable and it beats the hell out of anything i seen so far except T1 or T3 lines.
as far as snipers just the class alone, I personally like to be in the front line. Give me a location of a SG and consider it history. In the front line, you can surpress or pin down guys until reinforcement arrives. People don't think much about this class except for Skill points considering the kills to death ratio, but this class is good for taking out far targets and giving firing support.
ApacheEyes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2001 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never considered shooting someone in the foot as "I had no idea that it would slow then down like standing on caltrops... live and learn !

I did however "accidentilly" shoot a player in the "nuts" the other night and he crumpled into a heap in a fraction of a second.. Whoever that was "sorry"
John Doe
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2001 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMAO! Instead of the messages "head shot" or "leg shot" I guess we need to get the people at Valve to add " Nuts shot". Perhaps we can attach the scream you get when you type in ouch to the message?
Bakuryu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2001 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think It'd be funny to have CROTCH SHOT appear on the screen and the unreal tournament announcer's voice to say it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
YourPowersAreWeakOldMan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2001 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the crotch shot is pretty powerful. I myself shot someone, I can't remember but they were a regular, in the crotch. He was a HWG and he gibbed from it. The message at the top of the screen read Head Shot. I wonder which head it was talking about

Thom Yorke Obliterator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2001 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a bizarre sniper question. How do you play sniper for a long time without having your hand cramp up from holding down the mouse button? I love to play sniper and actually used to be pretty good at it, but now I can't stick with it for more than 15 minutes or so. My hand gets all cramped and sweaty and it's pretty uncomfortable. Maybe it's old age creeping up on me?

And in defense of snipers who "hold back" on Warpath, that's the kind of map where you have to watch your back. Even if you control 3 and are pushing forward, a well-organized pair of spies can steal the game right behind your back, especially if you have everybody ganged up at the front. Of course, there is a fine line between watching the backline and outright cowardice.

ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2001 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres how i keep from holding the button down to long and not twitch when releasing it. When I play sniper I bind my space bar to shoot. Since my movement keys are bound to the typical left hand home row keys. It is very easy to use the space bar and hold down with my thumb freeing up my mouse to float freely and with no hand cramps . Just remember this advice is subject to gross error due to the fact I suck with a capital S at being a sniper and have just spent enough time at it to get my controls comfortable.

Maian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2001 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, I have my shoot button bound to the space bar. Its very close to my touchpad, so its easier that way. Plus its easier to hold it down than a mouse button.

Sick Cycle Carousel
Lifehouse
No Name Face
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: