FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The ending of an era
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FragFailure

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:49 am    Post subject: The ending of an era Reply with quote

Officially the TFC era isn't dead at the Ville, but for all intensive purposes it is dead at The Ville.

I won't be joining you guys in the jump to either DOD or NS. I don't enjoy the herky-jerky style of play on DOD. There's too much in the dark sniping and the near one shot one kill mentality that I've never liked since the very first beta. I've watched enough of DOD (and watched my fps drop to 15 or so in traffic) to know it'll be not fun and more frustrating than what it's worth. NS is light years ahead of what my cpu can handle even with some tweaks. Unfortunately like a lot of us around here. Upgrades aren't in the budget for the next few months at least. I will be sticking with TFC since out of the three mods it is the one I prefer. I'd probably choose NS over DOD if I was able to eventually upgrade. TFC wise you can find me at Pete's, Gibgames, House of Love, Keeg's, or Redeye even though I'm usually aliased under 976-Kill (Yes Silver, I'm using my 1990 Battletech alias.) I'll still be active in the forums, admin issues (since I do have all mods installed), organizing The 2nd Annual Ville Bash in Vegas, (maybe) trying to get back into the leagues with NJK (if even needed), and serving on TVB's council.

I was actually wanting to see what your favorite memories of TFC at The Ville were. Most of the time it was any round of Avanti that was pretty evenly played (and I did decent.) There was a certain joy of seeing a sniper sniping oh his/her heels rather than being aggressive. Out of all the games I've played. EverQuest, Dark Age of Camelot, and Unreal never matched up to TFC and especially TFC at The Ville.

They were good times and probably the best since it was smaller back then. Everyone knew each other.

- PWG member 2001
- TVB founder and leader 2001-2004
- The Ville's Vegas Bashes I-V
- T.V.L. (Ville TFC League)
- The Originator of the Off-Topic Posts
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
HELLZ

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep TFC at the ville is also dead for me too. I only played here because of avanti always being on alot. Its the only map I really play. I do like ns and trying to get better at it. I played DOD for about 3 weeks but got tired of never being able to see the people killing me that were hidden in some dark shadow area. And hate to say this but I think DOD is going to be just like cs very fast. Everyone is going to hax on DOD soon.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, its pretty muchly dead ... I can believe why but it kinda sucks for those of us who cant run DoD or NS... Though I could try NS again - last time it screwed up my card's OpenGL settings anyone know why? - but I like TFC. I like the fact that you need to work together intensivly so that your team will excell. NS does this so Ive heard but its just not the same... I suppose that when HL2 comes out that will also take away from TFC and same with HLRally... I suppose that its a dying mod thats ok but I just dont like it when I consider that I got nothing else to play at the moment.

Has anyone here ever though of making our own MOD? We got lots of great people when it comes to programming, graphics, sound/music, mapping and modeling... It would be a cool thing to look into... And Vavle/Sierra has put out SDKs, theres things such as Vavle's Hammer Editor, MilkShape 3D for the models, MICs for voices and sound FX, Photoshop for graphics (and PaintShop Pro I might add)... It just seems like that theres alot of things you can use and alot of people at TV.org that we could use to make an awsome MOD... Anyways, thats beside the point!

I hope that TV.org always keeps a TFC server - maybe Ill actually get NS to work one day but maybe not - it would be better for TV I think if they did keep atleast one server dedicated to TFC. There are still alot of good people out there...

<TVB>Potato-VS-
Bada Bing

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HELLZ wrote:
Yep TFC at the ville is also dead for me too. I only played here because of avanti always being on alot. Its the only map I really play. I do like ns and trying to get better at it. I played DOD for about 3 weeks but got tired of never being able to see the people killing me that were hidden in some dark shadow area. And hate to say this but I think DOD is going to be just like cs very fast. Everyone is going to hax on DOD soon.

A shitload of people already do cheat on DOD Lame assholes oh well thank Valve/Sierra for putting out the code which they will do for HL2 #Fist

Are you threatening me ???
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Gurrg

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tfc is dying/dead at theville, everytime i go into a tfc server, it's bots, usually always bots...it's sad, it gets old, they never miss but they still suck.

it is so hard to get daily awards now, if everything is bots the daily awards don't have all the fun ones, like railgun,caltrops,cbar. you just see the everyday weapons

Come Back To TFC!

The Ville-Addict----BR Site \/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
My Personal Insanity

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bada Bing wrote:

A shitload of people already do cheat on DOD Lame assholes oh well thank Valve/Sierra for putting out the code which they will do for HL2 #Fist

Uhm, just a little note: You wouldn't have all these mods if Valve
didn't support mod makers... There would be no games to cheat in.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
John Doe
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TFC is dying at the Ville, we all agree with that but what we need to do is consider what we can do to stop that from happening.

Currently we have two servers left, TV3 which is a true pub and TV7 which is a recongamer private server and has a password. We will never attract new peeps to a private server so we need to work on TV3 to rejuvinate it.

I have sent messages to Munkey with questions and such about TV3 to see what we can do for her and depending on his responses will determine where we go next.

If in fact TV3 is suffering from old slow hardware then I say that we as villans should do something about that. If you like playing here and like the peeps here then I am hoping that we can find enough people to send in $20 or more each to help buy a new PC to replace the current TV3.

So what do you think, is it worth it to try to rejuvinate TV3 and keep TFC players at the Ville or should we just ignore it and let TFC die at the Ville?

Sorry to steal a thread but I am not ready to drive the nails into the coffin yet.

JD
Blown

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what computer munkey is using, but I really think it just needs completely redone. Format and reinstall everything. TV7 is the private server btw. TV6 is back up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Sully
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Doe wrote:

So what do you think, is it worth it to try to rejuvinate TV3 and keep TFC players at the Ville or should we just ignore it and let TFC die at the Ville?

Sorry to steal a thread but I am not ready to drive the nails into the coffin yet.

JD

I am all for trying to rejuvinate TFC at The Ville. When I join a game, I look to TFC first, but I don't want to be on a server with 7 bots and lil' ol' me.

I get a kick out of DoD, maybe because I enjoy the one shot one kill thing. I'm not a completely terrible sniper in DoD, and the other classes are fun also. The best thing about DoD right now though, is that is where my online buddies are.

That said, TFC holds a special place in my heart, and I would like to see it pick up. But if it's not TFC at The Ville, you won't find me playing it. I'd much rather play DoD at the Ville as apposed to playing TFC at a different server.

So, what is the solution? If we have to improve the TFC server to attract play, I'm for that. If we have to organize events to drum up interest, I'm for that too. The most important thing to me is that we keep this gaming community intact. TFC is a great game, but no video game can impact my entertainment as much as the people in the game. The important thing is The Ville, not the game.

Sig courtesy of K.R.G.
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TFC is dying everywhere, every day there are less servers and it will do the same here if nothing is done about it. Like JD said, if we can fix and upgrade the server hardware, we might have less people complaining about lag. And if we get rid of the bots on one of the servers and see what happens, more people will come. A lot of times, I'm getting ready to go to a server and I see everyone but one or two players are bots and I don't come. I would rather have one other person to play with than to have all these bots around.

Also, if we get more members and supporters, we might be able to save the servers. I'm gonna renew my membership soon, and I hope some other people do the same. DoD and NS are good games, but we should try to restore the classic 'Ville mod.

Making our own mod isn't a bad idea, that would be cool to have a mod customized and built just for TheVille, and we could put it on one of the servers. All we need is someone to do different parts of making it. Me and some other mappers out there can do the maps. I'll look into the other mod making programs and see what I can do.

TFC will die if nothing is done to restore it, so get those memberships and make donations if you want to help!

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blown

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppl need to just go out and have fun. Whether it be a 50 ping or a 120 ping. TV1 I had a 100-140 ping, did that stop me from playing. NO. TV6,I have a 60-80 ping. Would I care if TV1 came back to TFC and I had to play there. NO. Its actually the ones that refuse to play with a 120 ping vs the 60 ping that are killing TFC here IMO.
Potato-VS-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose now would be the time to bring up that tv.org *might* make a tfc custom map pack - though its not official and I dont know if their going to go along with my idea but it could also help boost tfc ratings at tv.org... It is not official yet though - I have made one map but Im not releasing it, or any others for that matter, until I get tv.org's approval (that means asking the tvb council and all that [something which I have yet to do...]). Also I am pretty sure that I will be making a MOD of HL during the summer - with any villuns willing to help included to try and bring some attention to tv.org and to tv.org's servers...

Maybe we can stop tfc from dying at tv.org if we try hard enough.
<TVB>Potato-VS-
FragFailure

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread was actually to talk about your best TFC memories and to not start another TFC debate. If you want to use this to look for ways of reviving TFC...go ahead.

- PWG member 2001
- TVB founder and leader 2001-2004
- The Ville's Vegas Bashes I-V
- T.V.L. (Ville TFC League)
- The Originator of the Off-Topic Posts
Mongoose_Slayer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the ville TFC is pretty much gone, for example: Yesterday (friday) night I checked the servers at 8:00, 9:00, and connected around 10:00. There were never more than 4 actual people playing during the entire prime-time of a friday night! It used to be two servers packed, and a few who couldnt get in messing around on a third server but now there is 4 people the entire night

I think first of all the bots should be taken off, they are good for practicing on a LAN game or whatever but in an actual server they are more annoying than just playing by yourself in my opinion. The rotation should be tweaked too, Avanti should have a bigger part in the rotation (after all it's what The Ville was founded on).

Also TFC is NOT dying everywhere, though it has greatly diminished since its first 2 years, there are still lots of servers that are usually full with good rotations. the problem is finding a good one, most servers either have League Wh00r players, Strict admins, full of n00bs, or are just full of morons. I'm trying to find another good server to play TFC at, though there aren't as many as there used to be. I don't see what could save the ville tfc now, i wish it wasn't so but there just isnt enough interest here anymore.

With the release of HL2 maybe there will be TF2 or even a TFC2 which can be brough to the ville and we will be back in business with a TFC-like mod. Even if i do find a new TFC server to play at I'll still used the ville for DoD, NS, and the forums, and if there is still a TFC server ill try to get people to play there again.
Blown

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

best memories, I dont know, I have tons of them. Prob the ones I remember the most is LMAO when JD slaps me all over the map.

prob second is bsing with monkey when he lived in SF.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: