FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
A Song, by my band
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DJ George
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:43 am    Post subject: A Song, by my band Reply with quote

Here is a recording of one of my bands orginal songs, It is done at a practice and is only a demo. It was done about 2 years ago. I have some newere stuff but my mp3 encoder is not working right for some reason. It was orgianlly suposed to be the opening track to a rock opera we were going to do, set in medieval times. But we scraped the idea and are now rewritting the lyrics (There goes $30 that we paid for the copyright, now we will have to get a new one) The song is called closer than brothers (We are re writting the lyrics in a way to keep the orginal title. I have also changed the organ at the end to a synth. And ignor the piano part, had the wrong chords given to the kid so it sound off

Closer Than Brothers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Violent Pacifist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drumset needs some kind of echo, singer needs a bit of work. A little bit of happier jumpier music would make a nice change as well imho. There's also some kind of weird do-dat-dat-do in the background after the double cymbal crash. You should make whatever that is have a shriller tone most of the time. I acxtually liked the organ part Maybe change the rythms on it though. It might just be the way you recorded it, but the singer seems to be the main focus of the song. Try getting him farther into the background.

There's my 2 cents

[edit] I think you should try keeping a more constant base as well. Base is always good [/edit]

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
Bright Red Nipples

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Violent Pacifist wrote:
I acxtually liked the organ part Maybe change the rythms on it though. It might just be the way you recorded it, but the singer seems to be the main focus of the song. Try getting him farther into the background.

There's my 2 cents

[edit] I think you should try keeping a more constant base as well. Base is always good [/edit]

I'm not sure if your meaning of putting this up in the forums was for critique but here goes. I would have to agree with everything mentioned here. Also I think what VP was meaning to say was BASS. Just a little bit of blending in some of the rhythms as well. I think it has some potential once you guys work out the recording problems.

All that's left now is the official FragFailure music review.

God Bless You Blue Ruler
DJ George
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bright Red Nipples wrote:
Violent Pacifist wrote:
I acxtually liked the organ part Maybe change the rythms on it though. It might just be the way you recorded it, but the singer seems to be the main focus of the song. Try getting him farther into the background.

There's my 2 cents

I'm not sure if your meaning of putting this up in the forums was for critique but here goes. I would have to agree with everything mentioned here. Also I think what VP was meaning to say was BASS. Just a little bit of blending in some of the rhythms as well. I think it has some potential once you guys work out the recording problems.

All that's left now is the official FragFailure music review.

I think his was only the 3rd time we had actually played it, and the room has bad acoustics. Unfortunately the only completely digital recorder we have does not like us apparently, so we could not do much with affects. We will be dusting it off and relearning it soon, it will be on our first CD (Though that my be awhile, our leard guitarist hsa the early stages of cancer and will be having sergery to remove it) I have some more recent stuff, but recording wise it is low quaility, and the songs are not perfected, much like with closer than brothers, we have them recorded just so that we can practice to them. We do have alot of new tech, we now have new processers for the guitars and bass, and my new keyboard is completely digital and has alot better sounds (I now have a great B3 organ sound, like in Magic Crapet ride or House of the rising sun). They sould all sound really great once done and refined
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Violent Pacifist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh! Yeh, I meant bass.

And I wasn't really expecting a grand performance from what I'm guessing is a garage band. I was just mentioning a few things that came to mind A good room to record in and a good recording device to fix a lot of the problems I mentioned (but as I said, I didn't know if they were just playing that way or if the rewcorder really was bad). If you can, digital editing is always a good thing. I downloaded a very nice trial program awhile ago called "Cool Edit Pro". Has to be the best sound/music editer I've seen that doesn't cost a ton of money right away

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
GellyRoll

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

itdidntworkforme
Hamese
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always do the poor mans copyright.

Take the copyrighted item, in this case the lyrics and the demo tape, to the post office. Put them in an envelope and have it postmarked and shipped back to you.

Then you have the postmarked UNOPENED envelope as evidence, and the courts reconize the USPS postmark as valid proof of the materials existance.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good stuff
Kjeldorian Royal Guard 42

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give you an A for effort.

I won't pick it apart but I will say, you don't seem to flow together as much as you could.

It sounds like several different instruments rather than a molded band. It could just be because you were practicing. I know how it is. Be concious of your levels and how they effect everyone else. Even if you are in the same key, someone who is too high can sour someone elses notes. Adjust your hardware levels before attempting to adjust them with the soundboard.

Note: Don't spend money on copywrites unless you are truly happy with the song as a finished product. As long as you have a dated hard copy, it is legally your song. You can get official dates from a notary. Trust me, it saves money in the long run. Eventually, you will have to copywrite to be 100% safe.

This is a great site that breaks down copywrite information on a basic level: http://www.bandreg.com

Quote:
Take the copyrighted item, in this case the lyrics and the demo tape, to the post office. Put them in an envelope and have it postmarked and shipped back to you.

Then you have the postmarked UNOPENED envelope as evidence, and the courts reconize the USPS postmark as valid proof of the materials existance.

Very true.

Good stuff man, have fun with it.
=US-V= Member/Event Coordinator - Retired
<eVa> Founding Father/Leadership/Webmaster - Retired
Ville Admin - Retired
FragFailure

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well by singing a song or two myself. It's easy to sound shitty vocal wise.

If I were the producer on this song in a semi decent studio.

- Keep the lyrics the same

- The song is desperate need of rhythm guitar. The organ shouldn't be the primary instrument but should be on par with the guitar. The guitar solo is good...keep that. He should have more if a presence during the verse and chorus.

- The bassist doesn't do bad with the double picking he does. He could do a few more fills besides that.

- The drums he plays are ok, but he needs to change it up at times to keep the pattern interesting.

I think it's a good rough draft to start with. Keep working on the song and mess around with it. The only way to improve is to practice, experiment with sound and tempo on it.

- PWG member 2001
- TVB founder and leader 2001-2004
- The Ville's Vegas Bashes I-V
- T.V.L. (Ville TFC League)
- The Originator of the Off-Topic Posts
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
FragFailure

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd post a Frag & SilverOne Permanent Zero song, but I'd have to OK with it him first.

- PWG member 2001
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
shovelnose
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with everything the above people have said. i really like the idea of a conceptual album, its a very difficult thing to undertake, so big up's to you for the effort. i also have a band, you can check us out some of our songs at www.mp3.com/fearofgrey. let me know what you think

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's almost reminiscent of Jethro Tull.

All you need is a flute.

[edit]Just let my drummer listen to it. . . he said it's a cross between Jethro Tull and Stixx and your drummer needs some caffine.

=US-V= Member/Event Coordinator - Retired
<eVa> Founding Father/Leadership/Webmaster - Retired
Ville Admin - Retired

Last edited by Kjeldorian Royal Guard 42 on Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
SpeCies

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, a mixture of Rush and Survivor not bad but in serious need of some changes.

(1) You need a chorus for the background to take some of the vocals away from your singer (Lead: Tighter than Brothers) (Chorus:closer than family)your leads voice is either going through puberty natural changes or he just cracks when going up high. Definitely needs a female touch.

(2) The instruments at the beginning start off together nicely but as the song goes on it's just to repetitious. You really need to get some Bass bigtime.

(3) I would recommend adding a flute to your leads part that surrounds ancient colonial times. The organ is used way to much to the point that it's drowning out the focus of the song= Singer and Bass !

Imagine a flute with a chorus here-

"Two distinct personality's raised together as one. What keeps them together side by side is a mystery. Nathanial the noble son a matter of Jedi"(I cannot makeout the lyrics here)

Anyway I have to roll now. I'll listen to it more later.
FragFailure

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shovelnose wrote:
i agree with everything the above people have said. i really like the idea of a conceptual album, its a very difficult thing to undertake, so big up's to you for the effort. i also have a band, you can check us out some of our songs at www.mp3.com/fearofgrey. let me know what you think

I listened to This Coincides and First-Last. I can tell you guys are more or less influenced by the current scene. I think this is already better than the lastest Cold and Metallica releases. The songs seem like a pretty much finished product. They should be more than good enough to get gigs and a decent following to build on in Pittsburgh. I like what you guys have. Use This Coincides as the first song if you are sending your tape into any record labels.

My personal feeling on the music scene is that I hope for more technical stuff to sorta come back some...solos, tempo and time changes, and good use of timbre.

Isn't Pittsburgh as a music scene more a less a classic rock town? At least that's the way the city comes off as.

- PWG member 2001
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: