FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
56k ...whats up with that?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
[NoClan]Lunt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:32 am    Post subject: 56k ...whats up with that? Reply with quote

Why do people insist on lagging the shiite out of servers by trying to play on dial up? I have seen this attemped many years ago with the original Quake and it was awful....I cant imagine trying to play todays games with dial up....
Bright Red Nipples

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: 56k ...whats up with that? Reply with quote

[Focus]Lunt wrote:
Why do people insist on lagging the shiite out of servers by trying to play on dial up?

That is a misconception that I have laughed about since I started playing this game. 1 individual can not lag down a server unless the server is not set up correctly. The server should be set up to deliver an equal amount of information for the amount of players Max that is available. If it is set up that way then there would be no way for an individual to slow a server down. The only difference would be how long it takes that 1 person to get the information.

God Bless You Blue Ruler
Violent Pacifist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually BRN, a player can lag a server down. One 56'ker won't do anything, but 10 of them with pings above 300 will also raise the pings of other people. It's especially bad when you get a couple people above 4000 and such.

Sorry Lunt, but I'm not really seeing the problem. I only have trouble with 56'kers when there's a bunch of them.

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
DJ George
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: 56k ...whats up with that? Reply with quote

[Focus]Lunt wrote:
Why do people insist on lagging the shiite out of servers by trying to play on dial up? I have seen this attemped many years ago with the original Quake and it was awful....I cant imagine trying to play todays games with dial up....

My frined Shadow plays with a 56k, he has never caused the server to lag, and usualy has 250 - 350 ping
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ApacheEyes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Focus - You know what, I have to play on a dial-up and have done for the 2 years I've been at the ville.

Do I like playing on a dial up ? NO, However its better than nothing, so according to your attitude I should just quit playing because you think I lag the server ?? I don't think so. I have as much right to play on these servers as you have.

It makes me laugh when I read some of the posts about having a bad ping etc from non-dial-up users. Most of the complaints are aimed at the servers, when it often comes down to how you have your config set up configured. Half the people that bitch and complain don't realize how lucky they are by not having to play on a dial-up and alot of the time it comes down to them being a closet stat whore.

Ap.
[NoClan]Lunt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did someone wake up without a kiss from Mommy? Head to the bell tower if you need to vent your frustration.......
ApacheEyes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Did someone wake up without a kiss from Mommy? Head to the bell tower if you need to vent your frustration.......

Yep, I think you did ..
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody wants to play on 56k, but when that's all you have, why not play the game anyway? It's better than nothing and I can play just fine on dial-up. And the lag for everyone else is probably not near as bad as 56k. If you havn't played on dial-up, then you don't know lag and you shouldn't be comlplaining to us! You don't see us complaining, do you?

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mongoose_Slayer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive never seen a single person cause lag until they were well over 3500
Hosway[CJP]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

long ago, i've seen someone laggin up a server. His ping was @ 2700 +, but he still owned everyone in that server.

The admin didn't mind the lag until i saw someone jump in the hair and freeze (at that time I was like, wow he's doing the matrix!!!, cuz he was one of the people that froze except for me) , then the player that was laggin got kicked as well as 3 others.

---
Hosway[CJP] is now Doppelgangster.
Come, let's talk with swords!
Gurrg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to play on 56k, but 56k is better than 28.8 isn't it, exactly...56k did lag, only for the person that uses it tho. eagle is right, everyone has the right to play.

The Ville-Addict----BR Site \/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
PondScm007

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really laggy people do ruin the server, teleporting around is garbage.... i, however have been bale to singelhandedly cause several seconds of delay to everyone on a server... i was running a hlds on my other comp (networked) and for some strange reason if i connected thru the internet from my comp i absolutely killed everyones ping, a few people had 60ms, but when i joined the lowest was near 900 all the way to 3000 heh... i didnt join after that ;p

BR, yo
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PondScm007 wrote:
really laggy people do ruin the server, teleporting around is garbage.... i, however have been bale to singelhandedly cause several seconds of delay to everyone on a server... i was running a hlds on my other comp (networked) and for some strange reason if i connected thru the internet from my comp i absolutely killed everyones ping, a few people had 60ms, but when i joined the lowest was near 900 all the way to 3000 heh... i didnt join after that ;p

The dedicated server was probably taking up your network if it was busy with people playing on it if it was on the internet.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
Vulcan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like has been said in the past, most of us with 56k would gladly get something better if we had the money/whatever. I am counting the days until I get to college and will be on a better connection.
SpeCies

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not there are many people who are limited to just 56k not by personal choice. Take me for instants, I've been gaming since the early 90's playing such games online like Doom 1, System Shock, Heretic, Hexen, Syndicate, Duke Nukem, Quake Team Fortress and all in which have been enjoyed on nothing but a 56k modem while I was on a 486 DX 166 upto a 586 P1. 13yrs of this and believe you me it was not by choice.

My reasons stemmed from back in the 90's. It was contributed to either the availability of it to the home consumer, Whether the hardware needed by the city was in place and more likely due to it's cost back then. This was 5yrs ago when I was living in a bigger city. 5yrs later I relocated to the area that otherwise I consider to be as Bumf*ck Egypt as far as technology goes here, as it took cox communications almost 26months to install and upgrade to fiber-optics around all the water that is here.

So, before you start slamming those who have just as much right on a gaming server as an LPB does, I would think about the possibilities of why they are still using analog to begin with before posting something such as this here in a community that is supposed to be as one.

It's a ridiculous assumption!

Read about it here

So, unless you are a Game developer, Network IT, and can put your money where your mouth is there isn't any need in blaming clients slowing down poorly configured gaming servers.Some drive junkers while there are those who drive Porsches.Those who drive the Porsches fly by that smoking jalopy of most thinking to their-selves- Pffft, get the hell out of my way!

If you want a good read about Latency Compensating Methods in Client/Server In-game Protocol Design and Optimization Download and read this *Doc here_

Last edited by SpeCies on Fri Jun 13, 2003 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: