FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Breakout2 - The next avanti or better?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnCarterofMars

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2001 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ladies and Gentlemen,

First I would like to start this thread with a huge thank you to Cstone and Greebo for their creative powers and excellent mapping abilities.

Second I would like to thank Cadman-TPF- for saving the Saturday night and physically placing the Breakout2.bsp file in the correct folder at such short notice...

Third I would like to thank everyone for attending the party at the'VilleII and I would ask that all of you, my honorable brethern and compadres give greebs and cstone your opinions and thoughts on the home grown map we all had the great privaledge to experience.

[ This Message was edited by: JohnCarterofMars on 2001-08-25 23:46 ]
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great map and great time I had on it. Hope it is put into rotation even if it is a custom map.
Actually playing was kind of intense can't remember much but play play play:)
The new addition at 4 was cool and seemed to balance the cap out making it more playable for attacking, defending. I'm not sure about defending I was not an engineer tonight and was solidering out in the open areas. I did get to defend by cap 4 a little where the tunnel comes in after being blown and it was great, just like the area in avanti up the stairs and around the cornor out of #1 respawn for attackers. Going to be one of my favorite spots now:)
Caps 1 and 3 are great fun allowing free use of rocket jumping (my style) didn't ever get a chance at 2 it was over before I could really help much.
My ping wasn't as bad as Greebo's but it still sucked enough to prevent smooth game play for me. So I missed a lot of action.
From my point of view this map rocks.
Thank you Greebo and Cstone you've hit the sweet spot and it is good.

YourPowersAreWeakOldMan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missed it again...Can't play whenever it is, usually with GirlFriend, but hey time well spent. Anyways, when are you going to make this a regular map so I can get around to playing it.

Greebo
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually made this playtest - I'm never realised playing on that map was so quick paced - as roofcutter said it was "play play play" all the way.
First game finished 176-174!!!!!!!!
Now that's intense!
Anyhoo - all comments welcome

Axis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was great fun and I wouldn’t mind the map being in the regular rotation. It seems to be the type of map that lends itself well to large groups of players.

I'll have to admit that I spent most of my playtime running around trying to figure out where the hell I was, but that’s just because I hadn’t taken much time to learn the map before the playtest. I started feeling comfortable with it right about time the test was over. Oh well, next time. I also played some classes that I don't normally play so I could see if they had any edge on the map (they didn't).

Nice job guys. Thanks for your effort. More please.
John Doe
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cadman gets my thanks too for saving the playtest.

Its a fun map, I wouldnt mind it being a regular map for play on one of the servers.

JD
yella

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur with JD - it is a highly playable map that definately will click with all Avanti fans.Many thanks to cstone & Greebo for what must have been many hours of midnight oil burning.

I mentioned the criticism to Greeb yesterday of the light sand texture blotting out player info at the bottom of the screen. If this can't be corrected on the map as Greeb says can it be corrected in game eg via the console?

I played sniper and engy yesterday - both were great games. Sniping from cap2 at a steep angle down and from 4 to breach point were v.cool; setting up the SG under 2 and in the 'church' as JCOM called it (lol) was very effective.

Great effort once again.
Yella
ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you Yella. Not only in this map, but in a lot of them it's hard to read text against background.
Having a way to change the color would be nice or size or. Could it be our video cards?
Maybe someone has some knowledge or ideas about this.

Let it be known through out the VILE that this is my 51st. post and I'm no longer a noob.
LanceMantis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I MISSED THE PLAYTEST!!! I'M SO ASHAMED!!! But I have played the map before...WITH PEOPLE. It was with 2 people though. Me, Greebo, and a friend of mine out here.

Mr. Magoo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tip my hat to Greebs and Mr cstone. Excellent. The game is furiously fast as the distances between is short so Caps 1 2 & 3 seem to go Quick. I tried a bunch of classes. Engineers were good but sometimes I couldn't get an SG up to a level 3 in time before we we swamped. The attacking team would/could send 80 % of their force to take the cap and send the other 20% on to start clearing the path for the next. (or so it seemed.) Cap 4 was a lot of fun and was definately much harder to take. I checked out the Demo hole for Cap point #2 but I don't think anyone blew this open. Things went to fast to need to blow that one. I would definately like to play that map somemore so I really get familiar with it.

Theres a great perch on the wall out side the open gates, but alas it doesn't seem to me to perch there. Would be an awesome SG spot.

Gentlemen, an excellent job from what I saw (Yup I was wearing my glasses too.)

Magoo

[ This Message was edited by: mr. magoo on 2001-08-27 08:16 ]
Bakuryu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great map, frenzied battle, need I say more?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
P0T NA2I

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LIKE IT!

More sniper spots.

Good use of building models.

A little on the small side though....
Greebo
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2001 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gods no, not more sniper points
it's sniper friendly as it is!

JohnCarterofMars

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2001 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty gents and missus...

My critique of the map is as follows:

Textures and overall look is bright and nicely put together. The models don't seem to be sticky like most maps. i.e., some maps you get stuck on alot of corners.

The buildings are interesting and the various paths seem to work very well. I particularly like the way up to the first two cap points. There are about 5 different ways you can emerge from the prison cells.

Also its is tight through here; from prison to cp1 and cp2. I like it makes for a close range combat area. If your smart you'll cut down on the splash damaging explosives and go for something less painful to yourself, like a shotgun or crowbar, or flamthrower etc.

Then we get out into an open area. Very nice for dueling with rockets and so forth. CP3 is in a odd spot; that seems to be difficult to defend(someone said this already for the entire map, I tend to agree). But its not a bad thing, its always good to brush up on your Defensive skills.

Finally the path to cp4 (the church! LMAO) is well laid out. With several options of attack, it keeps the activity at a maxium, and why? Because its the last point of the map and it should be intense!! WTG Greebs and cstone.

The map looks as though you two gents have really thought this thing out. I am pushing to get it in the rotation, but I hear there is a delay due to personal perfectionistic attitudes. ! You both are artists and are entitled to your liscense. Keep up the work and know that when I am on, I will be trying to get breakout2 voted for play.

[ This Message was edited by: JohnCarterofMars on 2001-08-28 16:33 ]
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Greebo
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2001 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks JCOM
Just so you know when we finally release the map, it will just be called breakout
with no number after - those are just for different versions until we get to a stage where we're happy for release.
As for current changes to be made
I think there's a few textural issues to be sorted (couple of the hills have very stretched out sand)
Plus I've asked robert for a poster style thing advertising the ville

cstone and I discussed one change to the area where the ramp leads from the gates of the prison up to the level above (below cp2 area) but I don't know if we'll go ahead with it.

I'll keep u posted

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: