FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Earthquake in Bama
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert E. Lee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 12:24 pm    Post subject: Earthquake in Bama Reply with quote

I experienced my first Earthquake this morning!! It was 4.9 located around 50 miles from my home.

Here's the story..

http://al.com/newsflash/regional/?stories/0429earthquake.html
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure it was a Earthquake and not just Buford Pusser breaking wind?

I think I can get away with saying that as he doesnt check the forums much anymore.

JD

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure Rosie O'Donnel didn't just pass by your house?

But good to see you are all'right.
John Doe
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, in the earthquake was your trailer knocked off its foundations? What? I though everyone in Alabama lived in a trailer? ;-P
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't an earthquake. Danno caused a lagspike on TV1 that affected the southeast.
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After further research it turns out it wasn't a Earthquake, Buford or Rosie. In fact it was a large explosion at the still where Robert E. Lee makes his homebrew.

"Not to be worried" says Lee, "We will be back up and producing the latest product for the Ville store in a matter of days".

The Ville White Lightning has only been available from the Ville store for a matter of days but has already set massive sales records the likes that have not been seen since the Ville Thong was released.

JD

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Doe wrote:
Rob, in the earthquake was your trailer knocked off its foundations? What? I though everyone in Alabama lived in a trailer? ;-P

Yeah, it'a a state law that you must live in a trailer here.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert E. Lee wrote:
John Doe wrote:

Yeah, it'a a state law that you must live in a trailer here.

I KNEW IT!

I've driven down I-59 south of Chattanooga into NE Alabama once. I'm familiar with the area where it struck.

- PWG member 2001
- TVB founder and leader 2001-2004
- The Ville's Vegas Bashes I-V
- T.V.L. (Ville TFC League)
- The Originator of the Off-Topic Posts
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Secret Squirrel 006

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i live in Georgia, but my parents still woke up because of the earthquake, but i didn't even know until school when somebody in my class told me

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They say that one of the biggest Fault Lines lies uncharted somewhere on the East Coast.

Largest Earthquake in Alabama

On the basis of the number of chimneys destroyed, this earthquake was more severe in Irondale than in any other town between Easonville and Birmingham. At Irondale, about 5 kilometers north of Birmingham, 14 chimneys in a two-block area were partly destroyed, and six chimneys on a brick store were leveled almost to the roof. Many other chimneys either were leveled to the roofs or were cracked so badly that they had to be rebuilt. At Pell City, a few bricks were dislocated from one of the courthouse chimneys, and near Easonville, a few chimneys were damaged lightly. Poorly built chimneys on the eastern edge of Birmingham were damaged heavily.

A careful study of the Red Gap fault, which extends from near Gate City to beyond Irondale, did not reveal direct evidence of recent earth movement. The most significant geologic result was the effect of the earthquake on underground water, particularly in Irondale. Five wells in a one-block area of Irondale went dry immediately after the shock, and the water level in many others was lowered. At Pell City, the shock lowered the water level in one well about 50 centimeters. Several small aftershocks occurred through October 28. Also felt in Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.

See Map
OpTlk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, earthquakes in 'Bama are measured by the number of destroyed or damaged chimneys??? wow, they really must be rare then!! so it was a 4.9 on the chimney damage scale...which basically transalates into 4.9 chimneys per block?? hEh

I've been through many here in Cali. the small ones can be fun, kinda feels like you're on a rollercoaster or those uneven floors they have at carnival funhouses. The big ones though, thats another story. and unfortunately...San Diego is the only major coastal city in Cali that hasn't been hit hard yet(LA & San Fran sure got it)

http://www.myspace.com/pvallone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
MuLiShA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol 4.9, theres been a 6.0 at the fault a few miles from my house.
Typh00n

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Secret Squirrel 006 wrote:
i live in Georgia, but my parents still woke up because of the earthquake, but i didn't even know until school when somebody in my class told me
i slept thorugh it but my mom wnet crazy
DJ George
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Doe wrote:
After further research it turns out it wasn't a Earthquake, Buford or Rosie. In fact it was a large explosion at the still where Robert E. Lee makes his homebrew.

"Not to be worried" says Lee, "We will be back up and producing the latest product for the Ville store in a matter of days".

The Ville White Lightning has only been available from the Ville store for a matter of days but has already set massive sales records the likes that have not been seen since the Ville Thong was released.

Well, that would explain why so many orders sudden flowed into my little black market for the ville items
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Warhammer
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I slept through it too but some other people I know here in Atlanta were woken up by it - the windows were rattling..
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: