FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Explosions

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gamepro65

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:07 pm    Post subject: Explosions Reply with quote

Is their anyway to make the Explosion Sprites eather 3-D or make them look better than the orignal ones?

Violent Pacifist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but good luck tryng to. You'd need to find a way to actually make it look 3-D, and then apply the same effect to all the other frames with the same pallete. You then need to save the .spr in Alphatest, which lowers the realism of the .spr a little.

You could save it in Additive (The mode rockets are saved in). This allows white to light an area around it depending on it's brightness. Black is the transparency color used in this mode, because a pure black doesn't give off any light, and therefore appears invisible. The problem with saving in this mode, is that it uses the most latency of all the modes you can save in. Rockets are able to use it because you don't see 5 rockets on your screen every 3 seconds. Explosions can happen about 10 times on the other hand, and are a lot more numerous than rockets, leaving you with lag. You can go ahead and use this mode for explosions, just make sure that your connection can handle it.

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
-=ITS=-GaladerieL[Vegas]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good question and maybe if u did a search here at the ville u might be able to find some things about sprites here? i am not a good with making sprites but you could also pm bada bing and see what he knows about it? anyways good luck on your search for customizing your game sprites its the best thing i can think of to hellp you out .. hope i did my best and gl on getting this set up
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I can lower my latency by getting lower quality sprites? Actually, I don't think I want to lose quality in the game, so I probably wouldn't use it. That's just my idea.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Replica
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for all the things. and even with good systems GENERALLY the crappier ( is that even a word?) your stuff is, the faster you'll run. its less to process is the basics of it. i mean i'm sure you could find some really nice looking explosion sprites that look more 3-d, but the better hey get the bigger they'll be... and if the spam from rockets already can amke someone lag.... getting bigger isn't necessarily better
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: