FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Time Warped

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> F-A-Q
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ApacheEyes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2001 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey All,

Firstly, hello to you all. I'm new to both TFC and the ville, so I'm an out and out newbie who gets killed by you guys regually -VERY regually.... However, despite dying every 30 seconds, I have alot of fun playing, you have one neat setup going, so congrats to all that run it...

With that out of the way, the whole point of this posting was to ask about getting "lag spikes/slowing down" in certain areas and around other players on warpath. I was on TV2 last night and our team was trying to capture cap 5, the defenders where pinned back and going nowhere. I was playing sniper (which I suck at, but trying to learn), everytime I rounded cap 4 going towards cap 5 I would slow down, the sounds would stutter and then virtually stop - someone like Snakeyes would then blow my head off, long before I saw him....
I eventually gave up the sniper spot so that someone else could pick off their snipers as the lag gave me no chance to even get a shot off.
I'm on a 56k dial up, which does make me slower anyway, but has anyone else experienced this problem and if so is it my connection or the server trying to cope with so many people in the same area at once ??

p.s. I know I rambled on a bit, sorry, I'll try and keep future posting shorter and to the point.

John Doe
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2001 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen a point in the map have more lag than any other. I must have been your connection. If there is a serious spamming war somewhere else in the map it should impact your connection the same as if your right in the middle of it. You receive the same updates and such, so you should see no difference.

Of course I may be wrong, any of the dialup people wanna comment on this?
ApacheEyes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2001 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your probably right about the connection being the cause. It was just weird that I only encountered the problem in that area. If I moved away to any other part of the map, I had no problems and everything ran smoothly... relatively speaking
Thom Yorke Obliterator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2001 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's not network lag at all and just a bottleneck on your machine. Maybe you just moved into an area where there were a zillion models on the screen and your hardware struggled with it. Any computer will stutter if you throw enough information at it. What sort of setup do you have - processor, RAM, video card, all that good stuff? Of course, I could be way off base here.

LilBigCip

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2001 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense to you but even if your computer was working fine your head would still be blown off by snakeyes. LOL.

ApacheEyes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2001 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LilBigCip - LOL, no offence taken, As I recall you are also guilty of regually painting my brains all over the floor.

Thom Yorke Obliterator - good point, I'm runing:
AMD Athlon - 500 (if I remember right)
voodoo 3
128 Ram
Sounblaster card
Not too sure what motherboard its sitting on..

So basically its not the ultimate in gaming machines. If I can ever get the money together, I'd like to upgrade it a bit. ( maybe get another machine to Dev on, so its exclusively used for gaming, more RAM would probably help..)
Thom Yorke Obliterator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2001 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My rig is pretty similar except for having a TNT2 card and a cable modem. It will skip from time to time, but usually only if there are a lot of HPBs (High Ping Bastages) around.

Actually, I've seen a couple of other people complain about the same problem you have on Warpath. The other night one of the regulars (MikeRotch or Super Zero, I think) left Warpath saying that "as soon as he turned the corner it turned into a slide show". At the time I was running smoothly right in the middle of the messy part. Go figure.

ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2001 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Apache_Eyes and welcome to the Ville. As a Newbie once myself I can certianly relate. My first name was URWELCOME4YOURHIGHSCORE.
Are you having any red warning in the top right cornor of your screen? If what John Doe says is right it points to your machine not lag. Good luck
ApacheEyes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2001 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys...

Roofcutter - thanks for the welcome, usually your taking a knife out of my back as you say "hi: online
I've seen messages like packetflushing and I've seen a warning telling me I have a connection problem - I usually get this when someone is trying to phone me and my modem doesn't know what to do for the best so it locks my whole machine up for 10 minutes or so...

I know that my connection does cause me problems from now and then, but like I said, this was only on on part of the map. *Shrug*

Thanks for trying to help.

Ap.
John Doe
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2001 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApacheEyes, I assume you have call waiting from your last message. There is a code you can enter in to ignore call waiting beeps when your online with a modem. Check with your Telco what they are, up here its something like *78.

JD
Rockman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2001 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine also "stutters" or get "jerky" at times, and I have a hoss of a machine and DSL. Just like when I used to play half-life on my old 233 (not quite that bad). Does get worse when a lot of players are on my screen.
YourPowersAreWeakOldMan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2001 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a combination of a lot of things slowing you down. As the pround owner of a 56k dailup I can say the lag is outright terrible at times, It just happens that will, always will everywhere you go, be it here or Q3 Arena or StarCraft it'll get you. My brothers Old computer was exactly yours, but a pentium 3 500 mhz..He had about the same ping as I did on my 700 mhz 256 ram...except when too many objects and surfaces and action was happening on screen, then it'd spike since the computer could take it in the line, but not process it all fast enough.

It'll take some time but you'll learn to play with the ping at about 300, That's what mine is usually at and look how good I do, just takes some practice, and alot of patience. I remember back when I was a newbie and the first time I started getting kills higher than my deaths it was a great feeling.

Thom Yorke Obliterator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2001 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easy way to fix your lag problems is to play a lot of Engie. The lag won't bother your Sentry at all!

JohnCarterofMars

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2001 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apache, if you didn't know this, try typing this into your console so that you can see what your framerates are doing as well as your ping: net_graph 3

this may help to enlighten you on some of the connection problems. Otherwise, dial-up is just too damn inconsistent. I know because I suffered for a year with dial up... Anyway, hang in there and in time you will become a rider instead of a ridee. Welcome to The'Ville and I look foward to seeing you on!

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ApacheEyes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2001 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the helpful hints guys.

John- I have call waiting already disabled, in fact I used to have the service, but I had it discontinued as they wanted something like 5 bucks a month for the service !

I'll try what JohnCarterofMars suggested and see what that throws up.

YourPowersAreWeakOldMan - I do play engie (and obviously HW is a good choice), which allows be to get past the .500 mark on kills, but I'd like to be able to get skillful at sniper, spy, medic .. guess I'll just have to swallow the bullet, so to speak ..

By the way, it seemed that everyone read the hints on playing spy etc that was posted yesterday, as I got my ass seriously kicked last night !!!!

Have fun online and thanks
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> F-A-Q All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: