FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Scripting in TFC
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thunder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 2:39 pm    Post subject: Scripting in TFC Reply with quote

I think I've read enough to understand that scripting in the place of personal skill is frowned upon....and I agree.

The question I want to ask is.....Is there any level of scripting that is considered ok.

Bunny hopping - bad
laying out perfect pipebomb pattern - bad

planting det pack and communicating this to your team - ok

What's the middle ground. Do any of you use scripts in anything other than communication. Would a script to build an SG be ok so you don't have to go through the menu?? How bout if as your about to croak you run a script that spams...?? I spam when I'm about to die anyway....no sence croaking with all those unused grenades.

I ask all this because I came across a site:

http://www.flameservers.com/tfcscripting/example.asp

It looks like cool stuff!! Just wanted to check with you guys before I wasted any time trying to figure out stuff that would be considered "bad form".
Lin Sivvi Defiant Hero

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally don't find anything wrong with that scripts, but the zoom and pipe laying will most likely not be favored by some people.
[BR]maximus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally i dont use any scripts......but i feel im a rare breed....i think almost everyone uses simple scripts nowadays.

Max
Violent Pacifist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some scripts are alright. An SG building script I would consider perfectly fine. Something like a reload script would also probably be useful (my r button that I use for reloading takes awhile to respond since I've crushed it so many times. Automatic reloading can be good). Feign scripts for spies are also pretty nifty.

An example of a bad script I would say, is a script that allows spies to walk at the speed of a different class. Holding down E is okay, but changing the speed you move at can't be done in-game unless you've memorized a number of commands and type fast (I don't know if it's even possible then).

Just use your common sense. If it's something that gives you a big edge over an opponent and you can't normally do it, then it's probably not a good idea to use it. BTW, the closest thing you can get to a spam script (I think) is just pressinf F and G rapidly

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
deadprez

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using a script to bhop is weak. Same for chop hop. Both are easily done with mwheel binds And using mwheel is not a script, it's a normal bind easily done in the HL controls menu.

Pipedown is pointless in 95% of maps. And even then, it's usually uneeded but just simpler to use.

Auto-reload likes to mess you up every once in awhile. I could never go back to using it, I love my R button too much

Feign and disguise scripts are sexy.

Rjump scripts are just plain lame.

Conc scripts...prolly don't work all that great for most. Since it's very connection dependent, among other things.

Weapon switch scripts are kew.

Those are the main scripts pretty much. Nothing there really helps any more than good binds does, except maybe the feign scripts as that is like 3 commands at once.

¿Why does this mean anything to me?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gamepro65

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

technicly we all use scripts weather you like it or not... think about it this way what are u doing when you click mouse1 you are useing a bind known as +attack this is actually a script

+attack;-attack
or its
+fire;-fire
(i forget but its 1 of those)

all of the commands that you use for hl are all scripts that are sent to hl console and it spits to the game what it does so we all use scripts

thats just 1 way to think of it

cobra
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[BR]maximus wrote:
Personally i dont use any scripts......but i feel im a rare breed....i think almost everyone uses simple scripts nowadays.

Max

your not alone. i haven't got 1.
Dahak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my warpath runs from gate to cp 1/5 are completely scripted! :p

i press a button and off i go!
JTHM

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exec play_for_me.cfg

rawr

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dahak wrote:
my warpath runs from gate to cp 1/5 are completely scripted! :p

i press a button and off i go!

so uh Dahak u want to send me the script?

PuTriD kOAlA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's generally broke down like this... if u could humanly do it normally, and it just saves you typing/time.. then that's kewl

i.e. I couldn't live w/o my reload script.. the advantage is slim technically.. sumtimes u get a 5th rocket in as sully.. against something like HW, but most of the time it just keeps me in stock w/o having to hit another button all the time

things like the spy walking at solly/hw speed are lame tho becuz they are not normally possible (to my knowledge) ... mapping a script that changes between yer 2 favorite weapons for a class or feigning and throwing a pack woudl be fine
bobins

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[BR]maximus wrote:

Max

welll im glad i found someone else like me..

i dont use any scripts.. however simple.. just dont like the idea of anythin being automated... to make it easier.. i like to play wiv what was given to u to use originaly.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobins wrote:
[BR]maximus wrote:

Max

welll im glad i found someone else like me..

i dont use any scripts.. however simple.. just dont like the idea of anythin being automated... to make it easier.. i like to play wiv what was given to u to use originaly.

I don't use any either. I have a ton of binds but no scripts. This being a touchy subject I won't go any further. I do think that most of what's been said though I would have to agree with.

God Bless You Blue Ruler
bobins

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gamepro65 wrote:
technicly we all use scripts weather you like it or not... think about it this way what are u doing when you click mouse1 you are useing a bind known as +attack this is actually a script

+attack;-attack
or its
+fire;-fire
(i forget but its 1 of those)

all of the commands that you use for hl are all scripts that are sent to hl console and it spits to the game what it does so we all use scripts

thats just 1 way to think of it

not really.. there scripts that everyone has.. and was originaly programed into the game upone release.. thats what your meant to be given...

and so dont class as scripts.. you couldnt play the game withought htem

the othre scripts on the other had... i disagree wiv.. cos you werent originaly givent hem.. not everyone has them.. and they give you an edge.. even if its just savin time.. that the programer and designers of the game didnt intend for you to have..

this is just my opinion.. im one of the few remainin... ppl who think any type of script use is bad... and i dont use a single script....

please dont flame me for havin these views.. there just my views.. if others want to use the scripts that are accepted by most ppl and supposidly dont give you an advantage.. ( if they dont give you and advantage though.. whats the point in them... ) then i not gonna flame you either.. i just disagree wiv it..
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cobra wrote:
[BR]maximus wrote:

Max

your not alone. i haven't got 1.

me nether. My choose is all. No big deal.

Cool Sig by KRG. Thx

The Proud, the Few, US-V or The Ville Supporters (V$)!!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: