FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Lag Any Better???

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

TV1 better without HLBooster?
Yes ! It Rox, Leave it off!
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
No! You DumB Arss, Put it back on now!!
66%
 66%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 6

Dann0
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:48 pm    Post subject: Lag Any Better??? Reply with quote

I just unloaded HLBooster from tv1 tonite at about 9 cst, to see if it made any differnce in lag / choke. Only drawback is pings will go up slightly, but lag or choke may decrease. PLEASE LET ME KNOW!
Spanish Warpig

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i voted no cause my ping rox there and i never lagged so i dont see how it could get better
merf
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argh!! My pings went from 12 to 27.......I just can't play like this.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to tell you in game, but didn't remember the cvar. HLbooster is mainly just modifying one cvar. sys_ticrate 999 would do the same thing as loading hlbooster at it's max setting and sys_ticrate 100 would be no hlbooster. I don't know if this is changeable via rcon, but if you want you can try it.
John Doe
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MErf wrote:
Argh!! My pings went from 12 to 27.......I just can't play like this.

Admin_slap MErf
Admin_slap MErf
Admin_slap MErf

Laf, you cant slap MErf you silly bear!

ARRRG The world is so unfair !
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does a little more that modify this sys_ticrate(one setting you have to change for hlbooster to get that high frame rate). As far as I have read it changes the min and max updatrate and also fixes/tweaks some multimedia timings to get the framerate over the 64fps. Some servers will run normally at 100fps(tv4) and some are Just stuck at 64(tv1), thats where hlbooster comes in. It tweaks out that multimedia seting to get the fps back up to 100. Basically means(I think it does) it can send more data to the clients. From what i have read the servers that are stuck at 64, is because of ACPI cpu throttling, wich the system slows down the cpu so it runs cooler.... Kinda seems like we will never get away from it cause it does lower overall pings, only bad side is it does hit the cpu a bit more.

If anyone has any suggestions let me know..
PondScm007

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

havnt had a chance to really observe becasue my pings go crazy with my ISPs load, can you keep it off today as well so more people can see if tis affecting them?

BR, yo
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lin Sivvi Defiant Hero

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sys_ticrate is what changes the fps though, you can run a server at max 999. It may also change some cvars, but it doesn't do much that you cannot do manually.
FragFailure

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm up from 80 to about 120. Same difference I guess. I'm used to the 100 range now. I have to deal with (and so does the rest of everyone else in Vegas) Cox Cable timing out. It seemingly happens once per hour.

Well with Danno, Merf, and Silver are in Chicago hogging all the bandwidth. I liked it when Danno had a 1 ping, Merf 12, and Silver had a 19. Damn hosers. Don't make me come back there and visit.

- PWG member 2001
- TVB founder and leader 2001-2004
- The Ville's Vegas Bashes I-V
- T.V.L. (Ville TFC League)
- The Originator of the Off-Topic Posts
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dann0
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lin, on some servers, and i dont know why, just by changing that sys_ticrate you can get Higher Framrates, above 64. Heck thats all we had to do on TV4 and it gets 100fps all the time.

But on some servers (TV1) they just will not go above 64fps no matter what I change the sys_ticrate to. (ACPI i think). Thats why people load up hlbooster, to fix that problem(really just enables that multimedia setting). Same thing can be done if you just run a flash or avi animation in the background. So thats one thing that really cant be done manually, plus it makes it easier than running some flash in the background.

So far the only cvar that I know that affect framerate is the sys_ticrate..
The Nanite
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was up a little last night, by about 20 I think. It wasn't anything I couldn't live with though.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: