FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
EEEERRRRGGG!!!!!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  

ARE YOU ANGRY?!?!
YES! I'M TOTALLY IRKED!
28%
 28%  [ 4 ]
No, I'm cool.
28%
 28%  [ 4 ]
Dude, what's with you?
42%
 42%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 14

Usually Dead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 7:19 pm    Post subject: EEEERRRRGGG!!!!! Reply with quote

Okay. I'm really starting to get frustrated here. EVERY time I play TFC (or any HL mod), the game reliably crashes about 5-10 minutes into play. Every time. The error message is, of course, "hl.exe has generated errors and will be shut down blah blah blah...."

I have tried eveything I can thing of to fix this. I've re-installed Half-Life multiple times. I've re-installed my video card drivers, even with different versions, more times than I can count. I've changed hard drives, thinking a bad Maxtor would be the problem. I've changed my 3D card's settings in every way, I've played TFC under every different video mode. AND THE GAME KEEPS ON CRASHING.

This keeps happening no matter what I've done. I'm desperate here. I need help. Has this happened to anyone else? What did you do to fix it? Any advice you can give me!
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well first have you asked MPI for help? Secondly what version of windows do you have? I had HL installed on a Win2K machine at work and it was doing that to me. I had all the current updates and still didn't help. Finally I just rebuilt my machine and it hasn't crashed since.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, the pain of having the obvious solution thrown in my face. Yes, I have Windows 2000. Maybe I will talk to my brother about it. But that means I couldn't be lazy. I'd have to walk allllllll theeee waaaaay doowwwwn stairs.

[edit]
Okay, update.
It seems that I didn't need my brother's help, but my sister's instead. I noticed a while ago how the game never crashes when she plays, though the only difference is that she runs in windowed mode and I don't.
Well, I tried playing in windowed mode for about 30+ mins and it didn't crash once. I'm still not sure if this will permanently fix my problem. I'll bump this thread if the problem comes back up again. Thanks.
(Still, I don't like when my computer restricts me from video modes I SHOULD be able to acess, but it's well worth it to play HL when it dosen't crash. Thanks again.)

[/edit]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is strange that it has no problems in windowed mode and crashes in full screen. I had a buddy with the same type crashing problem, it turned out to be a heat problem. He opened the case, put a fan in front of it and played. BAM, his problem went away. Apparently his room was like 80F and his PC was running super hot. Not saying this is what is wrong with yours but try it. I don't know if windowed mode uses less processing power or why it would, but if the vid card is overheating this could very well be your problem.

Good Luck,

"Make something idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."
Usually Dead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have thought about the heat thing, and it's smart of you to reccomend it. Actually, it's never very hot in my room. I always have the heat vent plugged and the window open (so its always cold in my room) becuase my computer and monitor are like space heaters by themselves. But I do have heatsinks and fans on both my CPU and video card. During a stresfull session of 3d rendering, I put my fingers to both and they weren't very hot.

But thanks for the suggestion. I too think its weird how arbitrarily the game crashes. But I haven't tested it enough yet in windowed mode to be sure. I'll get back later.
Thanks again.
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My standard tech support answer is....

It's gotta be the user.

j/k, Dead. Sounds like you have a work around. Too bad you haven't been able to isolate the problem.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, I feel like a complete N00B. It seems I've made a total jarkarse out of myself. I told you that I've re-installed Half-Life and it didn't fix the problem several times.

WELL that was true.... but last night I got desperate and did it again. And guess what? I played on TV1 for an hour with no problem. I'm completly confused and subjugated to my computer. My computer has pwned me worse than any of you have pwned me in game.

So what was the problem, I wonder? Bitrot? Will it happen again? I'm so confused....
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

next time... ask mpi, and if he doesn't know....

re-format

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like heat to me... get a huge bucket of vegtable oil, put some refridgeration cooling coils in it, and submerge your whole cpu tower in it...if it works then, it was probbably overheating

BR, yo
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
My Personal Insanity

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I finally got involved in this, and tenatively I think we fixed it...

It wasn't overheating, that was for sure (i mean, the heatsinks were barely warm to the touch!), and we messed around with
HL, and the video drivers, and this and that and the other thing, until
finally a patented bit of My Personal Insanity came along:

I swapped video cards with him. Since they're both the same
Nvidia chipset with the same amount of memory, just from
different vendors, I figured 'what the hell, it's worked with other
parts before'.

I suppose we'll have to see what happens with extended gameplay,
but I've played an hour or so tonight on each machine after the
swap, and it looks good.

I declare preliminary victory, oooo-rah!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Usually Dead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again my brother's computer smarts rears its incredible head. I swear, in all my years of using computers, there's not been ONE problem he hasn't been able to fix when he really put his mind to it.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: