FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Microphone tips

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bada Bing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 2:27 pm    Post subject: Microphone tips Reply with quote

I get asked all the time in game how do I get my mic to work so I finally wrote all down in a document so I can copy and post it

Microphone Tips: Check all boxes in tfc settings related to sound and max out volume.
In Windows go to toolbar and click speaker symbol make sure volumes/levels are not maxed out and check the mute box.
Also if you explore sierra/half-life/tfc theres a file called voice tweak.
Give it a shot and let me know if it works.
If not we can hook up on IRC or ICQ and figure it out

Are you threatening me ???
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
PondScm007

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuff to remeber when youre using it as well:

for testing to see how you sound, type " voice_loopback 1 " at the consoul so you will hear what you are sending, " voice_loopback 0 " turns it off so you dont get an annoying echo

dont keep your mic RIGHT in your mouth, it will get all distorted

having a foam cover over it helps alot, expeciall from moving air noises like a cilign fan or you blowing on it

make sure you press the voice key then wait half a second, and let it go half a second after you are done talking so your message doesnt get cut off

yak away!

BR, yo
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you have to have a good sound card or a fast connection or something? I can never hear what other people are saying.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Violent Pacifist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you need to have a good soundcard. At least one that supports a mic. I'd reccomend buying a headset if you're going to buy a mircophone for game usage. It helps keep out other sounds such as you breathing, and you don't have to lean anywhere to use it.

BTW you're microphone.soundcard has to support a certain number or higher db's, though I can't remember what it was. Make sure you find out before buying something that won't work.

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
Vulcan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think connection matters too much with the mics. I used to use a mic and no one had trouble hearing me. I occassionally have trouble hearing others, but that is probably because their mic isn't configured correctly.
Mongoose_Slayer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good tips
Bada Bing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headset microphones are the way to go for sure.We got ours at Radio Shack for $20.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
tinkerbell

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 6:26 pm    Post subject: mic Reply with quote

From all the reading I've done, need to be sure that your soundcard is full duplex. Most soundcards are, but the cheaper ones might not be. (I think all soundblaster cards are full duplex) Second of all, make sure mic is plugged into the right spot on the sound card.

A test that can be done to make sure the sound card is full duplex is to go to start/programs/accessories/entertainment/sound recorder - click red button on right (I think windows is all the same, if you have windows) then talk or sing or burp :p for about a min or two, then hit stop. Open another sound recorder box (two will now be on desktop) Play back the recorded one and then hit "record" (red button) on the other. Basically, one will be playing and the other will be recording your voice. Then play back the one that was recording your voice. If it didn't record and you don't hear yourself, then your sound card might not be full duplex.

Bada's recommendation should be done first.

I found while setting up my voice mic, that not all of the keyboard keys were the same, some keys produced more static or distortion. Had to try different keys to find one that was the clearest and worked the easiest for my config. Sounds strange, but maybe it was my keyboard, don't know.

I have the headphone kind w/mic mouthpiece - has 2 plugs. Much better than the desktop mic.

Last edited by tinkerbell on Sun Jan 26, 2003 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaKon
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Head phones and head set mic good

Desktop speakers and table mic bad= feedback squelch

DK
rAT bOY

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VP = voice spammer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

My sound card is a soundblaster AWE64, but it's really really old and doesn't record and playback at the same time, even though it's set on full duplex. oh well

I love you JTHM <3
[njk]rat_boy
ur stuoid
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Blown

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chewed on my headset one too much. Doest work too well anymore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
[BR]maximus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i spilled way too much beer on my headset mic........damn thing gets in the way of every sip......oh well after a few spills people seem to hear me better

Max (official king of the unemployed)
tinkerbell

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 7:52 pm    Post subject: mic Reply with quote

One word......... *straw*
[BR]maximus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never thought of that tink.....ive always heard you get drunk quicker if you drink through a straw.......wow.....Tink, i love you.

Max, unemplyed and now a little drunker
Bada Bing

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use bind "delete" "+voicerecord" but occasionally I find I have to go into voice tweak and readjust things a little.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: