FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Stoopidity at its finest
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blown

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 2:13 pm    Post subject: Stoopidity at its finest Reply with quote

Well, I've been having all sorts of problems with my charter connection disconnecting me. Deathbringer gets dropped at the exact same moment I do. Anyway, I call up charter and give them all this info, pointing out that my friend that lives about 5 miles away on a different node gets dropped at the exact same moment I do. This was thier reply to my problem as a possible solution.

1: Check the ethernet cable to make sure its good, and try it reversed. (I guess both of use have ethernet cables that know when to fail at the exact same time)

2: Check or replace your lan card, yup, that means add a lan card or replace the brand new motherboard since it has onboard lan. Oh ya again both our computers know when to fail at the same time every time.

3: Reminded the lady that both of us fail at the same time, so how can it be that its OUR equipment. She just got all pissy and said, call back when you have a problem and dont fix it. BAH
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
[BR]maximus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats ridiculous......you have to ask to speak to a manager or supervisor. I had a problem with my provider when i first moved here and had to call technical support......they're so dumb.....i swear they've never even seen a computer before. I hate ignorance from customer support. If you want i'll call them for you....got nothing else to do all day...tee hee hee.

Max
gindapoo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Stoopidity at its finest Reply with quote

blown65 wrote:
Well, I've been having all sorts of problems with my charter connection disconnecting me. Deathbringer gets dropped at the exact same moment I do. Anyway, I call up charter and give them all this info, pointing out that my friend that lives about 5 miles away on a different node gets dropped at the exact same moment I do...

I have identified the problem with your connection by highlighting it in red in your quote.

[/rant on]
You have Charter. I have Charter digital cable--something that was supposed to improve our local cable service. Yea, right. I used to have the basic Charter service, which had a better picture, less down time, and fewer overall technical issues. Quite frankly Charter does not care unless they are making money. They took both of our local access channels off the air (local weather radar and local cable channel) and put one advertising/home shopping channels--bah. BTW, Charter was founded by one of Bill Gates cronies so the foremost desire is $$$.

I use DSL instead of Charter...and will never use charter for internest service.
[/rand off]

Seriously though, it definitely sounds like a network problem.

where the name came from<---clicky
Thom Yorke Obliterator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, keep escalating that call until you reach someone who has a clue, or someone who will kiss your @$$. If you complain enough, you can get free stuff.

My own personal Charter Pipeline idiocy nightmare:

I originally got Charter Pipeline during some sort of "preview" period before it was officially offered in our area. Normally I would have installed everything myself, but they insisted on sending a tech out, since the guys were in training.

So this fellow comes out and starts tearing Thom's precious PC apart, working dutifully from a checklist the whole time. He gets the NIC installed, configures this and that, and is feeling pretty good about himself. So he opens IE to verify connectivity . . . and the whole computer locks up.

We reboot. He opens IE . . . and the whole computer locks up.

At this point I'm staring him down pretty hard, and he's sweating bullets. The guy obviously has no clue what to do to fix it. So he finishes up his paperwork and goes to leave. I'm like "You are NOT going to leave it like that, are you?" He mumbles something about having gone through everything in the protocol, have a nice day. So I let the guy leave, telling him that of course his supervisor WILL hear from me, since he was so kind as to come into my house and completely ruin my computer. Poor fellow practically pissed himself.

Five minutes after he left, the PC was fine. The NIC was conflicting with the modem, no big deal, easy fix. What the heck were this guy's qualifications to come into my house and rip apart my PC??

So I called and complained viciously and got a few months free service out of it.
gindapoo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thom Yorke Obliterator wrote:
...So I called and complained viciously and got a few months free service out of it.

Your lucky TYO. Around here, you complain about Charter service and they come and disconnect you.

(Can you tell I don't like charter?)

where the name came from<---clicky
Chen Kenichi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Charter also. However, their service in my area has been incredible recently. When @home declared bankruptcy, Charter piled all their clients onto their servers instead of paying @home to stay up for awhile. Their servers got overloaded, and many people lost connection completely. Hell, I used to have 300-500 pings and a 4095 ping at peak hours. The center in my area has been working off the hook to provide fast internet, and they have certainly done a great job.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They never can get anything right, I've had soo many problems with them. Along with them never refunding me for a month of service, but now I'm going to push for a day of service free everytime this BS happens. Man I just wish there was another competing broadband service for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
[BR]maximus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blown, what about DSL or satellite internet? DSL definitely sounds like it would be better than what you have. If not, keep screaming at some managers.

Max
Twisted29

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If no one minds, I'd like to insert my own little ISP rant here. Its not charter, but I believe it's just as bad.

So I go out and buy my first Broadband service, Adelphia. Now they brag about a 1Mbs connection, so when I plug everything in and I'm only getting 650Kbps I'm kinda mad. So I call them up. They say they'll do a software "upgrade" on their end to fix everything. Cool. The "upgrade" fried my modem. Their answer, "Oh, well it would have worked if you had bought one of OUR modems".

So, I get one of their modems. But I can't just go pick one up, they have to send a guy to my place to install it for me. It takes two weeks of me calling every night to get the guy to show up. I'm livid. So after I snatch the installation box from the poor guy and toss him out, I'm feeling pretty good again. Until I plug everything in. Now I find that I'm capped at a 56k upload speed. I can't even send packets fast enough to play TFC!

So now I'm shopping for DSL, which I've been told work much better. I don't know...I'm thinking of returning to the stone age of 1985. I'll go rent a good VHS or something...

I'm really quite Non-Twisted... (but don't tell anybody!)

Long live the Ville!!!!
Mongoose_Slayer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate charter

#2gunfire *CHARTER *
JuVaNiLe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know the tech peeps are idoits i had prob with comp soo i called gateway support and i told person my prob and they just are like hold on and i will connect u with a differnt person after like 15 people i went through finnaly some one knew what to do
Thom Yorke Obliterator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twisted29 wrote:
I'm thinking of returning to the stone age of 1985. I'll go rent a good VHS or something...

Try to find a copy of TRON. Not the same thing as a real game, but what the heck.

(Speaking of TRON, does anyone remember the good ol' days of playing head-to-head Discs of TRON in the arcade? That was some damn fine gaming!)
Darkath

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Portland, and I guess Charter hasn't expanded its evilness into our neck of the woods because I haven't had any problems yet. Comcast took over AT&T, and I hear they are jsut as bad. If I have even one problem with the connection, they are going to have a very angry customer on the other line. I almost feel sorry for the guy at the other end of technical support.

#Cussing out #Cussing out #2gunfire #2gunfire

^^^ Clicky
YourPowersAreWeakOldMan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thom Yorke Obliterator wrote:
Try to find a copy of TRON. Not the same thing as a real game, but what the heck.

(Speaking of TRON, does anyone remember the good ol' days of playing head-to-head Discs of TRON in the arcade? That was some damn fine gaming!)

Again speaking of Tron, get ready to have your mind blown.

Tron 2.0 is coming at us this Spring...First/Third person shooter for PC AND Tron 2 the movie!

The game is utilizing the same programmable shaders Doom3 is boasting and the 30 characters each with 5000 polys (hi detail!) all onscreen at once with realistic real time shading and no slowdown...that's some 3D engine, but no doubt will work best on the higher end cards.

sharkbyte
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have AT&T Broadband, and really haven't had much of a problem. I have noticed a degredation in speed, over the past few months, as more people are being added to this node. But it has been pretty good.

That said, however, once I move (our house should be finished around April 1 ) I will be going to DSL.

No more sharing of bandwidth.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: