FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
upgrades...Q

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Secret Agent Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 6:07 pm    Post subject: upgrades...Q Reply with quote

question: ive been wanting to upgrade my processor... so i looked for soem options; one: i can get a new processor, if i do.. how do i check what my mother board can handle. and two: i can get a whole new mother board.... which seems easier and cheaper?

aa, oshiete sensei-san
Dahak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, it depends on the mobo you have. If your mobo can support what you want to upgrade to, then you should be ok. But if you want to upgrade higher, then you'd need a new motherboard.
Mr Hat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few other things to consider too.

Most new mobo's are using DDR ram. Your old 1 probably has STD ram. no bigy.... ram is cheap.

Also, is your current system hp, Compaq, dell, or something like one of these. If it is, there might be other components such as sound or video that can be integrated into the mobo and could need to be replaced with your upgrade.

And your case could also be an issue if its one of the brands I mentioned above....some of them are custom layouts and do not fit std ATX form factors.

I would suggest you identify your current mobo and visit their web site to see what processors you can use.

You can also research the ram type and the form factor (layout).

GL

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old computer would use a higher cpu, but it would need a bios flash. You could check with either the mb manufacturer or the computer manufacturer to see what bios is available and what cpu's it supports.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: