FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
BIOS

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 10:06 pm    Post subject: BIOS Reply with quote

Hello, just wanted to know where i can get a bios upgrade and such, heard about Award's Bios Flash utility but cant find it anywhere.

My mobo is a via chipset if i remember right. and my Computer model is a Compaq Presario 5000 Model # - 5WV280

Basically right now my BIOS does little, and i was looking to upgrade, but i can't find any info on my mobo since it always says Compaq Manufactured it or it is of the VIA chipset.

I know what i just said is kinda all over the place but if you can figure out anything. Let me know, Thx.

-Chan.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www29.compaq.com/falco/sp_result.asp?Model=1841&Os=0

Doesn't look like there are exactly many bios upgrades there. But maybe it will help a little, from the 1 minute that I spent searching.
thewz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find out what your motherboard chipset is, then check the via website for updates (I think it's www.via.com)

BTW make sure you know what you are doing before you install. If you mess up and use the wrong flash utility/bios update you can completely mess up your bios and you would then have to clear your cmos and lose all your bios information.
Chan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ty borg for the link
ty shaft for the zippage..

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wont let me start up from the cd i burned, it reads the cd and all the files are there it is just that it wont start up from it.
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chan wrote:
wont let me start up from the cd i burned, it reads the cd and all the files are there it is just that it wont start up from it.

I pulled this info off of compaq's website......

Notes

This SoftPaq is for the Compaq models with a 786K1 ROM.
The ROM can be determinded by running the Setup Utility by pressing F10 on the computer during system power and viewing the Main/System information.

Installation

Obtain a formatted 1.44-MB diskette and place it in your A: drive.
Download the SoftPaq to a directory on your hard drive and change to that directory. The file that is downloaded is an executable with a filename based on the SoftPaq Number above.
From that drive and directory, execute the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions to build the ROMPaq diskette.
After the diskette has been created, you may delete the SoftPaq file downloaded in step 2. NOTE: ROMPaq disk can be recreated by running QRST5.EXE
Place the newly created diskette in the A: drive of the computer to be upgraded or restored and cycle system power to boot from the ROMPaq diskette.
Follow the on-screen instructions to select the 3/28/2002 Compaq System ROM and flash the firmware. WARNING: DO NOT TURN OFF POWER OR ATTEMPT TO REBOOT THE COMPUTER DURING THE UPGRADE PROCESS!!!

I suggest you follow these directions and use a FLOPPY disk. The reason the upgrade is failing is...... it's trying to back up your current bios and the cdrom is not writable.
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are usually few advantages to upgrading the bios on a Compaq unless its not recognising new components that you have installed (usually a large hard drive).

What were you hoping to gain by doing a upgrade?

JD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Doe wrote:
There are usually few advantages to upgrading the bios on a Compaq unless its not recognising new components that you have installed (usually a large hard drive).

What were you hoping to gain by doing a upgrade?

JD

Large HD
Higher AGP reconintion (my mobo can support 4x but it is only doing 1.)

And yeah i think my Floppy drive is messed up.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: