FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Should we limit snipers on Acropolis to -1
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should we set sniper limit to -1 on Acropolis?
Yes?
41%
 41%  [ 19 ]
No?
45%
 45%  [ 21 ]
Just deal with it, I am a sniper.
13%
 13%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 46

Lin Sivvi Defiant Hero

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acrop2 IMO is the best sniper vs sniper map. Usually if I'm sniping all you need is 1 enemy sniper and I'll consentrate solely on him.
Darkath

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said before, snipers can be a big help. If you are a spy for example, and you are running through the canyon thing in Acropolis2 with the flag and 3 sollys are behind you, have 3 snipers can come in handy. But 2 would be fine, cuz like hoaxie mentioned on a server with only 9 slots, having snipers be 1/3 of your team can suck. Snipers, I'll agree, ruin maps (like well). However, If there were no snipers, some of the fun would be taken away. me and krazi scout go sniper hunting as spies whenever were both on, and it's really fun.

^^^ Clicky
MikeRotch

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lin Sivvi Defiant Hero wrote:
Acrop2 IMO is the best sniper vs sniper map. Usually if I'm sniping all you need is 1 enemy sniper and I'll consentrate solely on him.

Isnt that kinda pointless? Snipers just killing each other. I hate when maps turns into a sniper war and gets no where...

sig by JTHM

note to self:
admin_chat lets you talk discretely to other admins.
admin_say lets everyone know you are a moron.
Lin Sivvi Defiant Hero

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The map is generally not well constructed IMO anyway, so sniperwars are fun
Albino Gibbon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mean get rid of them on all maps. I guess part of my problem is I will go hunt them down when they do that and it kind of takes me out of the game. Warpath is another map that snipers can be a pain. A sniper is part of the game. I have no problem with them on Avanti or Badlands or pretty much any other map. That one just bothers me for some reason. I can see it happening on Warpath, but I am not much of a capper on that map. I do know Frag hates them on it though.

Which server is it snipers set for 3? Can't remember if it was TV2 or TV3. I know one of them does. It would be cool to have custom .cfg setups for each map played.
Trigger Happy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I get on the agile tender side when I'm DM'ing someone and I get popped from far away by a pesky sniper. Don't worry I like snipers, that's why I'm going to kill them last

Sometimes when I do get irritated I try to be the hunter instead of being the hunted. Good stuff.

- Sig Made By <TVB>Bada^Bing-TPF-
gindapoo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoaxie wrote:
I really dislike being killed by anyone... so why don't we set all classes to -1. Dealing with snipers is part of this game.

I do think all classes should be limited to 2... especially when there are only 9 slots available on a server. Having 3 of anything seems a tad bit ridiculous.

I'd have to agree here. Sniping is part of the game. (And I dearly love playing sniper suppression right Warpig? ) But 3 is excessive for any map. 2 would be better and on some maps, just 1. I don't think the limit should be 0 unless it is a special occation.

(***in Elmer Fudd voice*** Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting cowardly snipers...)

where the name came from<---clicky
Warhammer
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TV2 limits snipers to 2 per map except for murderball, where they're not allowed.
Gurrg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well since snipers pwn me, -1 for them, hehe.

The Ville-Addict----BR Site \/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Spanish Warpig

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

since snipers seem to irritate every1 so much ill just go back to actuluy playing like 1
The Nanite
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as it pains me to say this, snipers are necessary. I agree with the limit of 2 and not 3 though.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
3 is too many for any map, or team. Play something that takes some talent and is more helpful to your team. IMHO sniper limit should be 1 b/c that is more than enough. They're unproductive on defense and useless on offense. Even the best snipers don't hit concing medics or scout and they pose the largest threat to your offense.

You been playing this game long ? To insinuate sniping takes no talent, and the unproductive and useless comments along with a blatant untruth that even the best snipers can't hit concing players smacks of ignorance. I'll bet you play soldier. On some maps snipers are TOO effective which is why people are interested in limiting them to balance the game. Your comment smacks of a lot of HW disparaging comments I've heard over the years and frankly it makes me uninterested in anything else you have to say. If you have a point to make, try to do it without appearing ignorant.

You really should learn that you can make a point without having to slam players or classes they chose to play. I play every class and they all take talent to play well (even soldier ). Sniper is part of the game and a GOOD TALENTED sniper can be a MAJOR influence on the outcome of a game. Pyros own snipers as do Soldiers that can get close enough. Might as well say limit the number of soldiers to -1 because it is so hard to get the flag as a scout when there is an engy and soldier gaurding it. Limit demos to 1 on all maps since how much skill does it take to lay down pipe bombs and det them when someone shows up. (That ones for you Albino ). That might sound unreasonable to those that play soldier and demo but it is no different than what you suggest. I for one play whatever class I determine may be most effective based on map and enemy talent and class choices. That even means I play HW at times

Now with that said, I'd like to go on record as saying that I agree 100% with Hoaxie that ALL classes should be limited to a maximum of 2 (with the possible exception of random). I've pushed for this for a long time but always get met with opposition by some Solly playing individual who complains that THEIR class shouldn't be limited. It is a team game and all the classes together make for a good team. We should really promote and encourage people to try new and more complex classes. I'd actually like to see some classes like Sniper, HW, Soldier and Demo (spammers ) limited to 1 and the rest of the clasees set at 2 max, except of course random can be unlimited. That would be perfect in my opinion, but I'm sure many out there would strongly disagree. So I'd settle for 2 each ALL classes.

The only thing worse than having 3 snipers on a nine man team is getting on a pub server that has NO limit and finding 6 snipers that can't . One of the things I liked most about the Ville was the class limits, I just don't think they limit enough. But if you limit one class you need to limit them all to a certain degree. And TV3 was supposed to have snipers limited to 2 for a long time, but for some reason noone with the ability to do it has done it
SoDum

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAHAHAHAHAHAH HEHEHEE HOOHOHOHAHA! Snipers take skill! Hahahahah! That's a good one. No, seriously. Anymore funny jokes for us today?

I voted no, since actually acrop is a nice map for snipers. Why? It's so open, it's great to kill them, and i enjoy killing snipers.

But!

My personal opinion is that snipers should be removed completly from all maps but i doubt that will come to pass; they are a no talent class, even more point and click than HWs, And can kill anything in a shot. That is the true definition of a newb cannon.

I don't agree with the all classes to two things, that's really on the players to have common sense. Limiting everything to two should not be put on priority; first lower the classes that need to be lowered before getting rid of true hard to play classes. Then again, this is comming from someone who's ideal game is 5 solly d, 4 medic o, so, hey. Take it or leave it.

Snipers, HWs, Engies, And maybe soldiers should be limited to -1, 1, 2, and 3/4 respectivly, because noone wants to play against a 2 hw 4 engie 4 soldier D. And snipers just need to die. Many deaths. Offense primary classes shouldn't be limited because they arn't over powered; it's just how people use them.

One thing that they do in CS(Not saying i like cs but, hey), is limit snipers (AWPers) to 5 hp the first time they used it, and then kicked them the second time. If it's possible to limit them to 5 hp everytime, then i wouldn't mind snipers since so long as you can see them you can kill them then. The sniper class is supposed to be stealthy and tricky. Even with that they are a noob cannon, but if they have 5 life they will have to put a bit more thought into playing the class, when any scout can single shotty you out from halfway across the map.

Another point is that snipers arn't O or D perse, they are really just dm machines to a sort. One hit, instakill dm machines, but that's beyond the point. The game is capture the flag (Or some other objective like that); snipers don't stop people from capping nor help push thier flag.

Quote:
I'd have to agree here. Sniping is part of the game.

Everyone says this and all i can do is shake my head and laugh a bit. So what you are saying is that we should have no rules. You probably don't -think- that's what you said, but you did. Let me ask you something. Isn't respawn camping part of the game? Isn't having a 8 hw team part of the game? Did valve do much to prevent any of this? No? Then why don't we allow all that too? While we are at it, why don't we abuse the nail and timerefresh exploits? They are part of the game after all! So of -course- everyone should be able to do it. It's lame, sure, but it's part of the game, and since everyone thinks you should use 'parts of the game', then we might as well do it.

Final thought!

Quote:
You really should learn that you can make a point without having to slam players or classes they chose to play.

I slam people who play snipers for fun, just because, well, they deserve it.

Snipers take the fun right out of the game for anyone who plays offense; if you play sniper, you are ruining someones game more than all the respawn campers in the world ever could. So do tfc a favor if you like sniping and please, delete half life from your harddrive. Then delete yourself. Or if you so choose, go play CS; i hear they welcome camping snipers with open arms.

Stillness of Body, Focus of thought, oneness of spirit. These are the virtues of a concer.

The only man to boycott happiness!
MikeRotch

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CyC0Dad wrote:

You really should learn that you can make a point without having to slam players or classes they chose to play.

CyC0Dad wrote:

I'll bet you play soldier.

sig by JTHM

note to self:
admin_chat lets you talk discretely to other admins.
admin_say lets everyone know you are a moron.
Snaggletooth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh....can I get an AMEN?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: